• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My experience of Zygomatic implants.

I would just like to add to this thread, anyone who is thinking about having any sort of dental implant please do your research. I have had a difficult few years after having implants and have had removal and gone back to a denture which is both comfortable and painless. Nothing beats your own teeth do everything to try and keep them. Its just that if you decide to go down the implant route please be aware that there can be problems.

Hi Lydia,
Yes, I do agree that there can be problems with certain types of implants, and complications can arise from any type of surgery, no matter what it is for.

If you have read my journal, you will have noticed that I have had an experience with standard implants, which failed one by one over a period of 2 years.

The zygomatic ones are relatively new so not much info out there about them but going by the info that I did manage to find out, they are really quite successful.

But time will tell, if I get some quality years from them I will be more than happy.
I agree one should cling on to their natural teeth as long as possible, but when there is no other choice, and even dentures won't hold in because of the lack of bone, other options have to be considered, but thank you for your input.

Regards.
Coral.

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes,the removable denture comes without risk,but certainty has its problems,if you have no bone there is nothing for the denture to adhere to, so therefore you have to rely on fixatives,this is both messy and really inconvenient,this was a nightmare for me,darent go out for a meal without fixative in my bag,every time I ate it loosened the denture so it was a trip to the ladies to refix.

I hated the denture,I don't say the zygomatic implants are without pain and discomfort, and its certainly not cheap,but to me it was all worth it,and it doesn't last long really,so for me it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
No more fixative,just sheer heaven.

So if its at all possible for you to have the zygomatic implants,go for it,I wasn't able to have the All_on_four either,i just did not have the bone density in the jaw,but the zygomatic ones go up into the cheekbones.
Hope this helps.
Good luck with it all,and keep me updated on what you decide
All the best.
Coral
Hi, yes I had an initial scan and they said they would extract remaining teeth as bad but were not sure if after healing there would be enough bone density, if not then they would do zygomatic implants only 2 though, at the same cost as the 4 in 1 does that sound correct to you. thanks again

Hi,
To be honest I don't know what they have quoted you,so I can only go by what mine cost,the All on Four,in the UK,are ranging from £12,000 to £16,000,by what I have since read,but zygomatic ones for 4 ,seem to range from £16,000 to £20,000,varying among different dental surgeons.
Have you had a 2nd opinion?, sometimes it pays to do that,but be very careful,make sure you choose a very reputable dental surgeon, who is experienced in this field.

Don't think mine was the cheapest,but he has done a few of these implants,and has got good feedback, and 100% success rate so that's why I chose him.
Hope this helps.
Coral.

Last edited:
Hi,
To be honest I don't know what they have quoted you,so I can only go by what mine cost,the All on Four,in the UK,are ranging from £12,000 to £16,000,by what I have since read,but zygomatic ones for 4 ,seem to range from £16,000 to £20,000,varying among different dental surgeons.
Have you had a 2nd opinion?, sometimes it pays to do that,but be very careful,make sure you choose a very reputable dental surgeon, who is experienced in this field.

Don't think mine was the cheapest,but he has done a few of these implants,and has got good feedback, and 100% success rate so that's why I chose him.
Hope this helps.
Coral.
Hi, thanks, Did you only have the upper jaw done, I am having the top done with Zygomatic implants, and lower jaw normal implants at £15,000 does that sound too cheap for that kind of treatment. thanks

Hi, thanks, Did you only have the upper jaw done, I am having the top done Zygomatic implants, and lower jaw normal implants at £15,000 does that sound to cheap for that kind of treatment. thanks

Hi.
yes, I only had the upper jaw done, my bottom jaw has an implant supported denture, with the only 2 implants that didn't fail, when I had the 8 implants placed 8 years ago, all the top ones failed .plus 2 at the bottom but so far so good with the remaining 2, and holds the denture secure enough with just the 2, but eventually, I will look at having the All-on- four, done on the bottom jaw before the bone density goes like the top.

As to if your quoted price is cheap or not, all I can say is that it sounds pretty reasonable.
I can't speak for everyone's treatment as like I said all surgeons have different rates, but my own dentist charges £1,200 per implant, and £19,000 per 4 of the Zygomatic ones, so working it on that basis it seems about right.

That is only my opinion though, like I said I can only go by what my own dentist charges for his treatment, don't want people jumping in and telling me I am wrong.

At the end of the day, all that matters is that you are happy and that you have total confidence in your dental surgeon.

May I ask when you are having the treatment?
Good luck.
coral

Last edited:
Hi,
Sometimes people have no choice but to look for alternative measures, I was unfortunately one of these people, a denture would not hold in place without the use of denture adhesive, it was by no means comfortable, and was really inconvenient, and made my life traumatic.

Although nothing is as good as having ones own teeth it's not always possible to keep them, but its great that with today's advanced technology it gives us other options, but yes, everyone should think carefully about these options, and research them thoroughly until they are convinced that its the best thing for them.
Regards.
Coral.

Last edited:
Hi.
yes ,I only had the upper jaw done,my bottom jaw has an implant supported denture ,with the only 2 implants that didnt fail ,when I had the 8 implants placed 8 years ago ,all the top ones failed .plus 2 at the bottom but so far so good with the remaining 2,and holds the denture secure enough with just the 2,but eventually I will look at having the All-on- four,done on the bottom jaw,before the bone density goes like the top.

As to if your quoted price is cheap or not ,all I can say is that it sounds pretty reasonable.
I cant speak for everyones treatment as like I said all surgeons have different rates, but my own dentist charges £1,200 per implant, and £19,000 per 4 of the Zygomatic ones ,so working it on that basis it seens about right.
That is only my opinion though ,like I said I can only go by what my own dentist charges for his treatment ,dont want people jumping in and telling me I am wrong.

At the end of the day ,all that matters is that you are happy, and that you have total confidence in your denal surgeon.
May I ask when you are having the treatment? .
Good luck.
coral

I keep putting it off until I have more confidence and knowledge about it and I dont like the fact that I might not be given a denture on the same day as extractions but have to wait for a couple of weeks and then once they are in not sure if I will be a good candidate for the treatment. thanks for your advice

Hi Jo,

Don't worry,they usually take impressions for the denture beforex extracting your teeth,you should make it clear to them that you do not wish to be without teeth,then they will have your denture ready for you at the time of extraction.
Its all pretty straight forward at this stage,nothing to get worried about at all,probably just the usual swelling and soreness that follows extractions, but nothing a few pain killers can't sort.

If then you decide you don't want to go for further treatment, at least you will have your denture,then,see how you go with the denture,if you cope ok without problems you can stick with it,or if you find you just can't cope,and its not holding in, you can then go ahead with the implants.

Think about it all,and discuss with your dentist all the concerns you may have ,ask as many questions as you need to, to both put you at ease,and fully understand all the treatment.

In the meantime, I will help you as much as I am able through my own experience of this treatment, but it needs to be your own decision as to what you decide to do,make sure it is the right one for you.
I personally ,do not regret having this treatment done,I am over the moon,I go next Tuesday for the 'trying in' of the new fixed bridge,the final teeth will be fitted on the 9 th September, which will be exactly 6 months from my op.

Good luck.
Coral

Great Journal Coral! I am 1 month post op today from immediate load implants. I had 25 teeth removed, 8 upper implants and 6 lower implants placed and loaded the same day. I describe the surgery as tough enough to bring a linebacker to his knees. I too had a great deal of pain for a few days to a week after. At 4 weeks now, I am experiencing what you did at your 6 weeks. I have a post op appt. in 2 days. Thank you for being honest and describing what you were feeling every step of the way. It is a great help and makes me feel like I am progressing normally.

I am from the US and had my surgery done by a world class surgeon. I am very happy with the way they look. Not sure about function yet as they are bothering me. No real pain, just discomfort and annoyance. Her in the US., they cost $45,000.00 US dollars.

Thanks again Coral!

Donna

Hi,Donna_

Thank - you for following my journal,and I am pleased it helped you.
I went into it not knowing what to expect,I was completely in the dark about it,hence , this prompted me to write a journal,and be as honest as I could,but not meaning to scare people,but to let them know it isn't a breeze,as the dentists lead you to believe.
No,it is not a walk in the park by any means,but all the pain and discomfort is soon forgotten,and it is well worth it in the end,and trust me it does get better.

I know what you mean about the function,that does take some getting used to,even at 6 months mine still feel a little bit weird,but this is only my temporary denture,until everything is all healed and settled,but my dentist assures me that the new permanent one will be a lot better fit,and it is a lot neater and slimmer, so hope he is right.

In fact I have an appointment tomorrow with my dentist,for a fitting,for which I will be putting on an update.
I wish you every success on your road to recovery,and hope you are as happy as I am with your new teeth.
Good luck.

Coral.

Last edited:
Quick update 19/08/14.

Hi everyone, had another appointment at the dentist today,this was for another impression for making the reinforced metal plate that the final teeth are fixed to,it is then coated with the plastic,and the teeth affixed to it,so basically it will be like a normal bridge of teeth but reinforced with metal.

I thought I had only one more appointment to go before my final bridge is ready to be permanently fitted,but apparently I have 2 more appointments, one will be the wax model of the teeth, to which any alterations and adjustments can be made,then the next appointment will be to fit the permanent bridge,so all will be completed in around 5 weeks time.
It has been a journey of pain and expense, but I am hoping it will all be worth it in the end,but all is looking good so far.

Thanks to everone who has been following my journal,and if anyone has any questions regarding this treatment, please feel free to ask,I will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards.
Coral

Quick update 19/08/14.

Hi everyone, had another appointment at the dentist today,this was for another impression for making the reinforced metal plate that the final teeth are fixed to,it is then coated with the plastic,and the teeth affixed to it,so basically it will be like a normal bridge of teeth but reinforced with metal.

I thought I had only one more appointment to go before my final bridge is ready to be permanently fitted,but apparently I have 2 more appointments, one will be the wax model of the teeth, to which any alterations and adjustments can be made,then the next appointment will be to fit the permanent bridge,so all will be completed in around 5 weeks time.
It has been a journey of pain and expense, but I am hoping it will all be worth it in the end,but all is looking good so far.

Thanks to everone who has been following my journal,and if anyone has any questions regarding this treatment, please feel free to ask,I will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards.
Coral
Hope everything goes well for you wishing you a lovely smile

Hi Jo,

Don't worry,they usually take impressions for the denture beforex extracting your teeth,you should make it clear to them that you do not wish to be without teeth,then they will have your denture ready for you at the time of extraction.
Its all pretty straight forward at this stage,nothing to get worried about at all,probably just the usual swelling and soreness that follows extractions, but nothing a few pain killers can't sort.

If then you decide you don't want to go for further treatment, at least you will have your denture,then,see how you go with the denture,if you cope ok without problems you can stick with it,or if you find you just can't cope,and its not holding in, you can then go ahead with the implants.

Think about it all,and discuss with your dentist all the concerns you may have ,ask as many questions as you need to, to both put you at ease,and fully understand all the treatment.

In the meantime, I will help you as much as I am able through my own experience of this treatment, but it needs to be your own decision as to what you decide to do,make sure it is the right one for you.
I personally ,do not regret having this treatment done,I am over the moon,I go next Tuesday for the 'trying in' of the new fixed bridge,the final teeth will be fitted on the 9 th September, which will be exactly 6 months from my op.

Good luck.
Coral
thanks for this its very comforting, I will let you know how I get on. cheers

Hi Lydia,
Yes,I do agree that there can be problems with certain types of implants,and complications can arise from any type of surgery ,no matter what it is for.
if you have read my journal,you will have noticed that I have had an experience with standard implants ,which failed one by one over a period of 2 Yeats.
The zygomatic ones are relatively new so not much info out there about them but going by the info that I did manage to find out ,they are really quite successful.

But time will tell,if I get some quality years from them I will be more than happy.
I agree one should cling on to their natural teeth as long as possible,but when there is no other choice,and even dentures won't hold in because of the lack of bone,other options have to be considered, but thank you for your input.
Regards.
Coral.

Hi, Coral. Have you had your final implants yet, hope you are well

Hi Jo,
I have an appointment with my dentist next week the 23/09/14.
The bridge should have been fitted on the 9 th,but it wasn't back in time so had to have a new appointment
Hopefully the final bridge will be fitted,and I will then update my journal.
How about you,have you started your treatment yet.?

Coral

Last edited:
Hi Jo,
I have an appointment with my dentist next week the 23/09/14.
The bridge should have been fitted on the 9 th,but it wasn't back in time so had to have a new appointment
Hopefully the final bridge will be fitted,and I will then update my journal.
How about you,have you started your treatment yet.?

Coral

Good luck for tomorrow, :) no I haven't started yet still researching the Zygomatic Implants and everything else. thanks.

Hi Coral,

How have you made out? Permanents yet?

Hi Coral,

How have you made out? Permanents yet?
Hi there,
No,I haven't got them yet,on my last appointment one or two adjustments had to me made on the wax model,I had the teeth made slightly smaller as I thought they looked a little bit big,and also felt that they pertruded slightly,but anyway,this time they were perfect,fit great ,comfortable, spot on,but they were still in wax,as he wanted to make sure I was totally happy with the look and fit.

So the next appointment is on the 11th November, and will definitely be the permanent ones,and I can't wait,as with all the healing process there is a bit of a gap now between the roof of my mouth and my teeth,although not loose or anything,still screwed in tight,but it is still annoying,and cleaning is a bit of an issue,with food getting trapped inbetween the gap,this is the reason they have to allow 6 months before they fit the final permanent bridge,so that the mouth can fully heal before final bridge is screwed in.
Will keep you posted,and do the final chapter of my journal on completion of my treatment.

Hope you are feeling better now,and learning how to cope with the feel of a denture,as it does feel awful at first.

Take care,and all the best.
Coral.

Last edited:
I'm glad you are making your permanents perfect. I don't want to rush the end result either. I love the color of my temps but I also feel they are slightly big. I have a problem with the bottoms that I want fixed in the permanents. If I'm resting with mouth slightly open, it appears as though I'm frowning. I hope this is an easy fix.

Back