• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My first crown, having issues.

Soma

Soma

Hello, 6 days ago I received my first crown. It was on a heavily filled, cracked bottom molar. My dentist used a ma machine that makes same-day permanent crowns (starts with a C). The actual procedure was painless. He applied the crown while i was numb, so it wasn't til I got home that I realized that my bite was off. So I called and they got me in the next morning and filed it down a little. It helped a bit but not completely. Since then it's been acting up, the crown touches and the other side of my jaw doesn't even touch when jaw is clenched. My crown tooth is slightly sensitive to hot and cold, it doesn't send me through the roof but it makes it's presence known right where the crown meets with the stub of my tooth. I have a dull jaw ache and my ear feel warm.
My dental office is closed for holidays for four days (just my luck) I called their emergency line and left a message but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm very scared for the worst. I'm pretty certain that most of the issues, if not all, are bite related. My main question is : is me having to wait 3 more days to get the bite adjusted, will it lead to me needing a root canal? I am being as careful as I can to not chew or apply pressure on that tooth, but sometimes I still accidentally chomp down on it. I just want it fixed so I can live again. Thank you for your time.

HI,
It does sound like the bite is still high. Waiting 3 more days is very uncomfortable but is unlikely to result in you needing root canal treatment.

Lincoln

Hey guys, I'm back with a few new questions about my new crown.

I went back this past Tuesday and they adjusted my bite and it felt a lot better inside my mouth. However, it is now Saturday morning here and I'm still getting some pretty persistent aches. I don't know how long it usually takes to recover from a crown procedure and from a off-bite that went on for about 5 days. It's still pretty tender eating on that side (I've only tested it with softer foods) This morning I felt the pain centralized on the backside of the tooth with the crown, I flossed and it started bleeding significantly, this is the first time it's done that and I floss that area after every meal so now I'm a bit more concerned. It's slightly sensitive to both cold and hot, it's not a sharp sensation, it just kind of makes the tooth feel pronounced for a bit.

On top of that I get a metallic taste in my mouth, and there seems to be a gritty coating on a bunch of teeth on that side of my mouth that doesn't brush off. It's very strange to me.

My dentist is of course closed til Monday, but I will call them then, in the mean time I'm just asking your opinions on what you think may be going on. Should it take this long for things to heal up? Do you think the gum is infected or is the crown too low at the gum line and irritating the gum - causing it to bleed and ache? Everyone I know that has had crowns has never had a problem with theirs, I tried to be strong and just get it done, and of course it's turning out to be a huge complicated ordeal. I hate this stuff.

Again, I appreciate your time and knowledge. Thank you.

HI,
It does sound like the bite is still high. Waiting 3 more days is very uncomfortable but is unlikely to result in you needing root canal treatment.

Lincoln

I am curious. I was always under the assumption that if a tooth is cracked, that it would need to be extracted.

Oh god I hope not! I thought that was only the case if the crack goes through the root? I thought the reason I got the crown was to prevent any further damage to the tooth?

If my tooth is having a hard time healing will anything show up on a X-ray? I'm still obsessing over every ache and sensation I'm feeling. I've been sick to my stomach not sure if it's anxiety or if a infection is making me feel sick. I don't see any abscesses, my gums look normal in color - although it feels like they are thicker than usual. Also last night while I was tracing the ridge where my crown meets my tooth I felt speratic jolts like quick bolts of electricity shoot through my tooth.

When I floss along the backside of the crowne tooth it feels a bit tender, flossing the front side doesnt hurt at all. Also I tested biting gently on some things, Cheerios and toast didn't hurt, though it felt a little strange, I ate a crispy English muffin I had some slight bite pain. I imagine if I tried on something harder it would hurt a little abit more. The pain is a little different than my bite pain before the crown. That was sharper, now it's more of a poking a bruise feel.

Could it be that my tooth just needs more time to calm down? This comin Tuesday will be 2 weeks since the procedure, but one week after the bite fix that made my bite more comfortable.

I apologize if I am annoying the communit by bringing this thread up again.

-edit/update-
Today a lot of my symptoms have been feeling noticeably better, except one..the bite pain. I called my dentist this morning and they said to really test the bite, eat normal on it and to try different foods. Tried oatmeal it was fine, toast gave me some pressure sensations, pretzels gave me sharp bite pains. The pain hits on bite, not on release, and doesn't linger afterwards. I tested my tooth with biting on a q tip and found where the sensitive spot is.. But I also noticed that I now have bite pain on the tooth directly above my crowned tooth. This upper tooth was the tooth shaved down that gave me bite relief.

So could they both still be bruised because of a week of a horrible bite?
Or is it possible that they are both badly cracked?
this situation just seems to refuse to get better no matter which way I go.

Last edited:
The bite may still not be quite right, go and have it checked again?

Back