• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

...My first CROWN... so nervous please help ..thank You!

D

DiamondFlush11

Went to my favorite place ...the dentist today (HA) and found out I need a damn Crown!! I am just so beyond scared!!! I hate telling people because they dont get my anxiety about certain things...this being one. Im not sure if its the needles...or the long procedure...both maybe? But im a wreck...and im trying not to cancel the appt. i just made an hour ago lol...however im freaking out. The tooth also has a cavity so he is going to take care of that AND the crown same day.
I've never had fillings or any problems with my teeth (knock on wood) so this really sucks... however I DID had my wisdoms removed a couple years ago....after putting them off for 10 + years lol...IV sedation and im not going to even start with how nervous i was with that (that turned out to be a breese)....but ill be wide awake for this... UGHHHHH PLEASE HELP :(

Diamond, I've probably had a dozen or so crowns (lost count because some teeth have 2+ crowns) and I just found out I need to have two more, both on teeth that have previous crowns. Needless to say I am devastated, have been a basket case since the dentist told me and I understand your fears completely, totally, 100%. In my case I have very little fear of the needles or pain but a great deal of fear of the impression they have to take for the crown, as well as lying back in the upside down position as well as a fear of gagging and vomiting. Saying I feel petrified about the upcoming torture is putting it mildly.

Someone here told me about CEREC crowns, which I had never heard of and wonder if this is a possibility for you or maybe this is what he will be doing. Crown is done in one day, no 2 week waiting for the lab to make the crown and best of all, at least for me, is that there are no impressions, it is all done by computer. Also, can you ask your dentist to give you a prescription for valium or another anti-anxiety med? I'll be taking some the night before and the morning of my appt. Hoping it will be enough to make me doze a little.

Don't cancel you appt. Once it is over you will feel so much better knowing you got through it. Though that isn't much consulation now as you sit there in fear, I know. When is your appt? Mine was to be next Wednesday but now that I am going to have a CEREC crown I need to cancel that and reschedule with a dentist that does this (not all of them do, in fact I think most don't but 10 years from now it will probably be the norm).

I so understand your fear and wish I could be there to help you get through it.

Diamond, I've probably had a dozen or so crowns (lost count because some teeth have 2+ crowns) and I just found out I need to have two more, both on teeth that have previous crowns. Needless to say I am devastated, have been a basket case since the dentist told me and I understand your fears completely, totally, 100%. In my case I have very little fear of the needles or pain but a great deal of fear of the impression they have to take for the crown, as well as lying back in the upside down position as well as a fear of gagging and vomiting. Saying I feel petrified about the upcoming torture is putting it mildly.

Someone here told me about CEREC crowns, which I had never heard of and wonder if this is a possibility for you or maybe this is what he will be doing. Crown is done in one day, no 2 week waiting for the lab to make the crown and best of all, at least for me, is that there are no impressions, it is all done by computer. Also, can you ask your dentist to give you a prescription for valium or another anti-anxiety med? I'll be taking some the night before and the morning of my appt. Hoping it will be enough to make me doze a little.

Don't cancel you appt. Once it is over you will feel so much better knowing you got through it. Though that isn't much consulation now as you sit there in fear, I know. When is your appt? Mine was to be next Wednesday but now that I am going to have a CEREC crown I need to cancel that and reschedule with a dentist that does this (not all of them do, in fact I think most don't but 10 years from now it will probably be the norm).

I so understand your fear and wish I could be there to help you get through it.

Thank You SO much... i will ask about CEREC. My appt is Thursday Sept. 27th. I will not cancel... your right i will feel better when its over... its just getting there thats the hard part :(
Reading what you said made me smile and feel more confident about being able to do this.... weird how a post can do that..lol.
Good luck with your CEREC crown... im glad you are able to do that....i am hoping I will be able to as well!

Thank you again... hopefully my next thread says I DID IT lol

I just had a cerec crown done yesterday. I have to say so far so good. I'm really impressed with the way it looks and feels. The process was great, no impressions which I really struggle with, and it was made there and then and fixed into place as easy as that. It feels really normal like any other tooth and looks great.

I was really nervous about it because i'd never had a crown before but honestly it went really well. I hope you both manage to get your crowns sorted out soon too.

Sparkles - I'm glad to hear your CEREC appt went well, thank you for posting about it. I'm not looking forward to mine, ugh, and will be glad when it is over. To me the impressions are the worst part of it.

Sharon

Impressions are extremely difficult for me, I really panic when getting them done, so I was very relieved to hear I didn't need any for this type of crown. The procedure is really straight forward, easy and pain free so don't worry you will be absolutely fine. Let us know how you get on. :)

Back