• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My first dental appointment in years is tomorrow. I'm terrified.

N

neonjae

Hello everyone! New member here. I have finally taken a huge step and told my parents about my teeth, and the horrible condition they're in. At first I felt relieved and free of stress, but now that the deadline for my appointment is approaching, it's the only thing on my mind. This is my first time visiting a dentist in 4-5 years, if I'm correct, after dealing with a dentist who would belittle me for the tiny cavities I used to get.

I'm terrified that my teeth are much worse than I thought, and that I may have an infection. I have severe anxiety, so I always jump to these scary conclusions, and it's hard to shake it off. I have one very large chip in my teeth along with a few more chips and two big, major, deep holes in my teeth as well, along with discoloration, blackened teeth (which only happen to be the two with the holes in them), and what I assume to be calculus. I've been in this state of bad teeth since around April of last year (I know, it's been a long time), so I'm obviously really concerned for what will happen. I'm only 19.

Luckily, my parents have me set up with a new dentist that was incredibly kind and caring towards my father who has always had bad teeth for the majority of my life, and who happens to have the same fears as I have, but I'm still scared. I really don't want to be told that something is wrong with me health wise. I just want to get my teeth fixed without any major complications like dealing with infections, but at the same time, I'm showing little to no symptoms of infection at all. That, and my father who has had bad teeth since before I was even born never got an infection either. Is there any way that I could get some reassurance, that everything will be alright, even if things do seem to fall off the deep end during and after my appointment?

Thank you in advance for listening, it does mean a lot to me. It's taken a lot of courage to get to this point; I need a little bit more of it to go through tomorrow with as little worries as possible. :)

You can do this.

You have already come a long way.

The experience will have some moments, but I’m sure it will go better than you imagine.

Let us know how you do. I have a good feeling about your chances of success.

You can do this.

You have already come a long way.

The experience will have some moments, but I’m sure it will go better than you imagine.

Let us know how you do. I have a good feeling about your chances of success.

Thank you, you have no idea how much this helps. I'll be sure to update here as quickly as possible after my appointment. I hope it'll go over well :thumbsup!:

Kudos on getting an appointment. Try not to worry too much about what could be wrong, even though worrying is easy to do.

I really don't want to be told that something is wrong with me health wise.
If there are things you aren't ready to talk about yet or don't want to see (like photos or xrays) let the dentist know. I'm sure they would accommodate you.

Everything will be alright. I needed a fair amount of work done after not going for 20+ years, in the middle of it now, and honestly I feel a million times better now than before I went the first time. Not knowing was miserable, so was not having the courage to make an appointment, now it's just a case of letting the dentist do their job. All i have to do is turn up and sit back. Pressure is off me!

The fact your dad is happy with the same dentist says a lot too, I'm sure they will treat you well. Let them know you're nervous. I did, and didn't know if it had been acknowledged, but looking back, there are a lot of small things I've noticed that makes me think they're being extra accommodating with me.

You'll do great! Having the courage to tell your parents must have been hard, the same courage will get you through anything else.

All the best!
:grouphug:

Welcome! I hope your appointment went okay and your new dentist is really caring and kind. You are incredibly brave to face your fears! Let us know how you're doing- we're all rooting for you!

Hello Neonjae,

You are incredibly brave to go after what you went through as a child. I'm glad you are goind somewhere that treated your dad well too.. I believe you have what it takes, and I encourage you to let them know how nervous you are and maybe what exactly makes you most nervous.. They can help you best this way.. In the meantime you have alot of people rooting for you here :)

If a dentist knows your fears and worries and accepts them,its like you won the lottery. Congrats on breaking the ice and bravery. :)

Back