• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My first dentist appointment in 14 years is tomorrow

snowbunny

snowbunny

I'm terrified.

For the past few weeks, I've just been ignoring my anxiety about it...not denying it, but saying "yes, I'm anxious and terrified" but then getting on with my day. Thank god it's Spring Break.

I'm scared of the cleaning procedure. I know my teeth are dirty and have plaque (especially on the bottom front teeth, on the inside) but I'm so scared of their scrapers and awful tools and I'm scared it's going to hurt because my teeth are sensitive (especially the front ones).

I don't know how I'm going to get through this. I'm scared my teeth are going to hurt afterward. I'm scared that this experience is going to scar me and convince me that being afraid was the right response and keep me from going back to the dentist!

Help!

Hey Snow--Welcome--you have come to the right place!! We have all been thru this anxiety and you will find this website sooo supportive...

I sympathize with you---I had to wait 6 loooonnnnggg weeks for my 1st appt.---and although it was pretty much abnormal to ask for, I told them I wasnt doing anything without nitrous---which was fabulous for me...Because of my love affair with nitrous, I have found the appts and anxiety much more tolerable...

However, that is not an option for everyone...if you contact your family physician or the dentist ahead of time, most will prescribe a few anti-anxiety pills to take before the appt...If nothing else, take some Ibuprofen before the appt--like 800mg (read the label)---and it should take off a lot of the edge...

Boy, don't I know about the anxiety!!! Weeks of feeling short of breath when I thought about my upcoming appt...and dreams, or insomnia...I even went to a therapist it got so bad...and then I went to my new dentist and found that I absolutely love her and that the anxiety is really usually the worst part..If you read the blogs here, you will hear that over and over...

Dont worry about what the denist will think...they have seen it all...

Good luck and keep us posted and congratulations for getting up the courage to go thru with this...your body will thank you!!!:-*

Oh sorry snow, I thought I had seen you before here....well you are still in the right place...and you know we will be here for you...

Yep, I posted here once before about my anxiety.

Apparently this dentist is very, very gentle and puts people at ease. I've heard nothing but good things.

I'm going to let them know right off the bat that my front teeth are sensitive and I'd either like some nitrous or some LA for those teeth before they start the cleaning.

Only today have I started crying from the anxiety so I think I'm doing pretty good considering.

I have some .5mg Lorazepam that I can take, although it really won't do much to konk me out. I think it'll help me get in the car and drive there, though.

Ya I was pretty satisfied with my experience with Lorazepam...However, when I took it before I went to the dentist, the nitrous didnt work because of the mix with the lorazepam (they said)..and they had to do the pill under the tongue thing, which because of the monitoring ,cost me a boat load more...and it took a while to kick in...they talked about re-scheduling--I told them absolutely NO WAY...go ahead and do it anyway..and right after I said that, I was a goner...couldnt even go to work until noon the next day!!!

Was no where near as fun as nitrous...but it worked and thats all that matters...what is really funny is that after my appts so far, I have realized that I have never even seen my dentist at work on me! hahaha--it's great!!

Hmm...well maybe I shouldn't take any lorazepam then, because I definitely want to walk out of that dentist's office high and not scared...I'll give them a call beforehand and ask. It's at 12:30pm so I have a little bit of time in the morning to get my bearings.

Hi snowbunny, I wasn't sure from your post if you have taken lorazepam before or not, but you shouldn't drive a car until you know how lorazepam affects you. It can cause drowsiness and it would not be safe to drive if it affects you in this way (unless someone else is doing the driving, of course).

In my experience (as a fellow sensitive teeth sufferer), so much of it is down to how gentle a dentist/hygienist is (I had one particularly horrible cleaning experience after which I thought that I might be a candidate for IV sedation...) and didn't have the same problem either before or afterwards with other dentists, who obviously were much more gentle (but just as thorough). So I think the most important variable is gentleness, and seeing how your dentist has a reputation for being gentle, you should be in good hands :).

As long as he knows about your sensitivity, and you've got a stop signal worked out beforehand, you should be ok - it is always possible to use local anaesthetic if necessary, for any areas that are particularly sensitive.

All the best for your appointment :grouphug:

Thanks letsconnect :)

I have lorazepam for anxiety, so I'm pretty well aware of what it does to my system. Either way, my boyfriend is taking me, so I won't be driving. The weather is supposed to be kinda crummy so we'd rather not risk me being zonked afterward and behind the wheel.

My biggest concern right now is the fact that he has a hygenist do the cleaning, which is hard for me because not only do I have to trust one new person, but two people! I hope that the hygenist is gentle as well, and I doubt this guy would have someone mean working for him. Like I said, I've heard nothing but good things.

I'm trying to busy myself with housework that way tomorrow when I come home I can just relax.

Hi I also have a huge phobia. I got my teeth cleaned for the first time ever last week one section of it. I also have very sensetive and my teeth have sooo much plaque on it.. the dentist can numb your mouth if that needs to be done or use gel. It isn't so bad. And also my gums were totally fine after infact they were less sore because all that junk is out of them. And I can't stop looking at the section she done in the mirror because it's amazing how different the gums that has been done and the the gums that hasn't I can't wait to go to get the next section of them cleaned on tuesday. I find closing my eyes works great for me anyway. Good luck not that you need it. you will be fine. And don't try and hold in your fear either if you need to cry or take a few moments to gather yourself do it.

Yep, I'm definitely starting to freak out now. Gonna take a lorazepam before bed tonight and try to chill out.

Thanks, littlestirishone! I don't think they're going to do a deep cleaning...I hope I can afford all that needs to be done to my teeth (although I'm guessing the wisdom teeth are gonna have to go; that'll be the big expense down the road)

Update:

Just got back from the dentist's office. I didn't even see the dentist until after all the awful stuff.

I asked about topical gel and she said that was an option, then they suggested nitrous and I was like YES PLEASE but they didn't let me take a few deep breaths of it before they started the cleaning, so I was panicked and I don't think the nitrous worked.

She used some water pick or something and it was pretty uncomfortable...a few times I was in pain and wished they'd used that gel.

Apparently I have 8 cavities and gingivitis. Gotta go back to do more cleaning on the 14th of March.

It wasn't a great experience, but next time I'm opting for the gel and taking 2 lorazepam before I go.

It certainly wasn't scary enough to keep me from getting work done.

Well done :respect: for not letting that put you off. Think you need a chat with them though.
The thing was probably the ultrasonic scaler. Gel numbs the gum tissue, local anaesthetic numbs the teeth themselves and nitrous if up high enough also has slight numbing properties on the gums.
Your mouth, your choice...make sure you keep things within your comfort level so that you are not put off maintaining visits in future.
:grouphug:

Hello!

Well done for going! Just got a quick question, what do they do when you have cavities? are they just giving them a clean? I think I have some cavities and I'm terrified they'd say I need a root canal or something! My phobia of dentists is beyond ridiculous :cry:

Back