• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My first extraction coming soon

Well, as hard as it is, you need to relax. You could even ask the dentist if you could take something for anxiety the night before - The practice I'm looking into allows use of 1 pill the night before and 1 the morning of, as long as there's someone to ensure you get home safely. These dentists are pretty well trained in the different types of pain relief, be it more of a local or a nerve block, if there's infection or not, etc. If at any point you feel like the anesthetic isn't work enough and you can still feel it, you can always put your foot down and refuse to get the tooth pulled until it IS sufficiently numb (and if the dentist can't handle that, they may refer you to oral surgeon or something for a more intense anesthesia, but it CAN be done).

Extractions really aren't as bad as everyone tends to make them out to be - It's a few brief seconds of pressure (and I'd say pressure, not even really pain at all - and I'm a huge crybaby over things like that LOL) and then it's all over. Your eyes might water so have a tissue handy, but other than that, there's really nothing to worry about.

I already take medication for anxiety and it's been a Godsend through this situation. Some of us should get into writing with the nightmarish scenarios we can think up. Part of what's helping me too is looking through this thread again and reading the posts similar to what I'm undergoing. It's a temporary fix sure but I'm soon going to get the major fix.

Being that this is a first time experience for me, I guess it comes with the territory that I'm apprehensive. I was a nervous wreck when I first got fillings but from then on out as I got more done I was used to them. God forbid I ever have any more extractions (Barring the wisdom teeth knock on wood) but maybe this is the kick in the rear I need to take my oral health more seriously. I've already started brushing and rinsing more often.

I had my molar out this morning and am currently sitting with gauze in my mouth.
Mine was due to what turned out to be a draining abscess, my only choice due to covid - 19 was to leave it or have it removed. Since we do not know when dentists can start treatment again I decided to have it removed.
It was my week off this week so I thought it would be a good time to get it done. That was a big mistake as the stress has ruined my break, all I have been able to think about is the dreaded appointment.
I was in and out in 15 minutes, I was injected several times as soon as I touched the dentist's chair o_O I was not impressed that the dentist actually confirmed I did indeed have an abscess until I asked him outright :(
I was a very anxious patient and really felt the dentist had no empathy whatsoever, just in a hurry to get me out as quickly as possible.
I wont go in to the detail about removing the molar, I think I was lucky it actually made it out in one piece.
I too am worried about dry socket.
Face your fear is what I tried to keep telling myself the day before.
Good luck and I hope everything goes well.

I'm sorry your experience wasn't very pleasant. I know my dentist and he always does a sterling job. I'm opting for extraction on the grounds that it's infected clearly and with Covid spiking in my area, I'm sure RCT is out of the question and I need to be seen ASAP.

I'm hoping mine is better, I just got the weekend to endure before then. I'm thinking the anticipation's the worst part.

In just under 48 hours I'm going in. Nothing really significant has changed and I doubt it will at this point. On one hand I'm happy to finally get this taken care of, but on the other hand I'm super nervous. I'm trying to come up with a playlist of movies and shows to binge on Netflix and HBO while I recoup. Plus I did stock up on foods that require little to no chewing for a couple of days.

Any more well wishes and thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

I totally understand where you are coming from, I was veering between wanting to 'run away' and then 'getting it over with'.
I have been eating mashed potato since yesterday.
My lower jaw aches if I touch it, but I do not seem to be in any pain...again terrified of dry socket.
I have been taking things easy as I do not want to lose the blood clot from the extraction site. I even drove over some road bumps today and then made sure I avoided them on the way home.
Good luck for your appointment, sending you positive vibes.

Abelinkedin

You sound so prepared both in mind and practicality and really grounded with this now . Will definately be thinking of you Monday? and what time?

Emerald so get the veering between running away and getting it over with. Mashed potatoes sound great! :) though I'm sure if you eat enough of them one might tire. :) Hope you find some other great soft food to enjoy while you heal! :)

You will be fine, Abe. I already see you posting a success story, hugely relieved and proud of how well you did that. It's ok to worry, that's what our minds do and you will be fine anyways. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and sending prayers. :thumbsup::clover:
Feel free to vent as much as you can, it's a good distraction and may help you with the fear.

I really do appreciate the support. I've always had the ideology of preparedness, I.E. I'd rather have something and not need it than need something I don't have. Thankfully my appointment's in the morning so I'll have the rest of the day to recover and stay relaxed for a couple of days.

My biggest concern is dry socket, but many of the risk factors are things I don't do. I don't smoke and I typically don't drink with a straw, but I have sneezed at least once these last few days, which is not ideal. I want to ensure I don't suffer any complications and I can get back to some semblance of this new normal.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow it will all be over and it will have gone smoothly.

Dry socket sounds so painful and we are right to worry.

As for sneezing I do so quite a lot, I have read to sneeze with your mouth open??
I worry about coughing, not that I do much but any sudden movement could cause problems.
I also read not to sip? How can you drink anything without sipping?
I spat without realising it is a no no o_O

Krlovesherkids777 luckily I enjoy mashed potato and do not allow myself to usually have any butter with them, so I am treating myself ;).

I usually don't eat a lot of ice cream, but starting tomorrow I'm gonna start eating it. Any other food suggestions maybe not listed here are welcome.

I'm not huge on mashed potatoes, but would noodles be okay if I don't slurp them? What would be the time frame for me to not worry about dry socket?

For those keeping score, the appointment is tomorrow at 8 am EST, first of the day. Good for me since I'm getting it over with and I'll likely spend the rest of the day in bed binging HBO Max or sleeping.

Last edited:
In a little over 14 hours I'll be seen. Anticipation's the worst part I swear, but something came to mind: I asked a friend about extractions and they said their worst fear is lockjaw. Is that common with this procedure? I've had my mouth open for extended periods for fillings and never thought twice about it.

I'm still very much nervous

Lockjaw is not very common, but I am one of the “lucky” ones who gets it! My jaw dislocates pretty much every time. It’s no big deal, it doesn’t hurt and the dentist manipulates it back into position with practised ease! He’s told most of the team what the trick is so the hygienist and other team members can get me sorted if I can’t help myself. Up to about an hour of work I can keep it under control myself, but after that it gets progressively more difficult and frustrating as my muscles get tired. After one particularly exhausting session I came home and had a look at my nice, new filling in the mirror only to realize in horror that my jaw had dislocated again. Fortunately it went straight back in and I was careful about yawning over the next few days. It only ever happens at the dentist. I wouldn’t worry about it if you haven’t had it before!

Good luck for today, I hope everything goes smoothly for you :)

My appointment's in an hour, I'm fairly terrified as you might expect. I'll report back when I get home, hopefully it'll be a success story

UPDATE: I got the date wrong, I'm actually scheduled for the 5th at 8am, not today. 2 more days of waiting, yippee!

o_Oo_Oo_O oh dear you could not make it up....:rolleyes:

It's my fault and I feel like a dumdum for not realizing this. Usually they call before an appointment and I didn't get one, so I thought it was just Covid slowing things, I got the date wrong.

Dentist appointments are etched into my brain. I don’t think I could ever get a date wrong! I would count it a success if I did!

I guess in my nervous fervor I had the 3rd in my head. Now I have another day of anticipation to keep me worried.

Back