• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My front teeth are so embarrassing (***TW: Picture included***)

L

Ljm830

My front teeth are so embarrassing ? I can’t even remember the last time I have smiled. And I’m terrified to go to the dentist. Not sure if I’m more scared of them poking around my mouth or just super embarrassed. I’m terrified of them telling me they cannot help me. I went to a dentist 4 years ago who “ thought “ I needed a root canal on the front tooth. So we set it up and then as she checked she realized I did not need one and told me that there was nothing she could do and just sent me home with some temp filling you can by over the counter. And that’s what I’ve been using ever since. It’s so embarrassing. I know some dentist can help me but I’m also scared it’s going to be too expensive. I cry about my teeth some times and lose lots of sleep over them.

[photo deleted as requested- admin]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Ljm830,

Welcome to DFC! We are glad you are here and that you are sharing your story. I think one of the most healing things was the "me too " factor of DFC.. I hear you are scared and seems mostly of embarrassment. You are not alone. many of us have been there and are still there and struggle with this every day... I know I walked in my first kind dental office 20 years ago covering my mouth I was so embarrassed of my teeth and found a very kind young dentist that changed my life and gave me back some dignity and empowerment . She was very welcoming and warm to me and non judgmental . There are many kind dentists out there who will love to help you get to a place you want to be one step at a time.. Its really hard to walk into an office at first but the fact you took the time to write here and think about it. You are on a very brave path and we know you can do it . Here is a helpful video from one of our dentists here on DFC , hope it will encourage you.

Hi Ljm830,

sorry to read how you feel about your teeth. I wisded the last dentist had been more helpful. It surely was a huge thing to go in prepared for a treatment and then getting something entirely different.
What seems to have happened is that the nerve in that tooth got affected. What such teeth do over time is they turn greyish, which of course can be a source of tremendous stress if the affected tooth is a front tooth. Rest assured that this is simply how teeth work, it is nothing to be embarrassed about and nothing you did wrong. Dentists are used to deal with this and nobody will judge you.
I see your worry about costs and the best idea might be to start looking around for a practice you feel might be a good one. As first thing you need a consultation which will bring some costs with it, but should still stay manageable and will reveal to you what is needed and which options you have. Getting this information and clarity can be hugely relieving and you can then start to think about where to move from there. It's always better to worry about concrete figures and facts then about the abstract image you are holding in mind.
As @krlovesherkids777 suggests, there are many kind caring dentists who will have understanding for your feelings and will be happy to support you on your way towards being able to smile again.

All the best wishes and let us know your thoughts

Back