• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

my girl sent me here, ok

S

statica

yo!

this is some crazy shit. and i don't know wherez to begin. ok, so my friend saiid i should check this out. and its messed because i see the thread she was talking about right here on this screen. this is wacked. she said she went to this site to get advice for me and its wack to see that theres like 3 pages of talk abput me. its wacked.

i didnt even know this kinda place like existed at all. this is so crazy to be writing this here. this is some crazy head shit, dude.

i feel crazy just having to type out how i feel about dentists because they are some bad mofos, dude, but i aint stupid and this is like my crazy wacked out problem because of my fear and shit. i feel strange having to write this all down.

my teeth are a mess. gawd, its crazy to be talking about this. i dont never talk about this problem except my friend knowz now.

i dont gotz nobody to talk to about how my teeth are a mess. theyz broken on one side and they hurt and bleed all the time. that sucks ass. it sucks ass that i obsess about it all the time and cant eat shit and cant drink anything cold or irritating. my teeth are a mess and its sucks.

i rinse my mouth with bleach and water (my friend wantz to kill me for it9 to clean my teeth up. it burns like a mofo, but i dont want them to getz more infected. i pick at them to with a pin to get the crap outta the holez. i know the diy shit is major hardcore.

are these feelingz normal? i feel like im the only one out there in the world whos freaking out about this all the time. who else would obsess about teeth, its so crazy. im fixated on thinking and worrying abou tthem. its like a sick obsession.

Last edited:
Hi statica :welcome:,

as you've probably figured out by now, you're by no means alone (otherwise this forum wouldn't be here). Your feelings are perfectly normal. Many people with a phobia of dentists think about their teeth all the time (or alternatively, try their best *not* to think about it, which is basically the same thing).

I'm not sure about the DIY thing - some things that people do are not really dangerous, whereas others could be. I'd stop using the bleach because it is really rough on the soft tissues in your mouth. It might well be contributing to the pain you're in, and may not do any good whatsoever.

It's great that you have found your way here :) - thanks for joining!!

Hey Statica,

You are definitely not the only one to feel the way you do. For twenty years, I obsessed about my teeth. I was so scared that even when a filling fell out fifteen years ago, I wouldn't go to the dentist. I just stopped chewing on that side of my mouth. Let me tell you, that tooth was sharp! I cut my cheek or tongue on that thing so many times, I can't even tell you. Still, I refused to go to the dentist.

Then, I got to the point where I'd wake up in the middle of the night thinking about my teeth and crying. Whenever I'd see someone with really nice teeth or really bad teeth, I'd freak out and obsess about the state of my own mouth. I couldn't drive past a dentist's office without breaking into a cold sweat. I tried everything I could think of to avoid the dentist, conversations about dentists, or even looking at other people's teeth. I also began to smile less and less.

So, yeah, it's completely messed up to feel that way but, unfortunately, many people have the same feelings - otherwise, there wouldn't be a need for a site like this. Dental phobias are far more common than you would think.

You're right, talking about your feelings about the dentist is extremely hard. I would say that just about every one of us here freaked the first time we talked about this with somebody. So, here's what I hope (and think) you will get from this site:

1) You'll reach a point where you won't be ashamed to talk about your fear. It's hard to admit to your fear at first but nobody here will judge you for it because we've all been there.

2) You'll realize that it's not a sign of weakness to be afraid. Without fear, there is no courage. You're very courageous for being here and being willing to even talk about this.

3) You'll realize that not all dentists are mofos, as you say. I used to think that too, until I found the most wonderful and caring dentist. Many of your fellow phobics on this site have found terrific dentists, too. Believe it or not, there are many dentists out there who only want to help you and who are also very capable of helping you without the pain/fear/embarrassment you may have felt in the past.

4) You'll come to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that you have many friends here who will help you through the darkness until you get to the other side.

tomorrow 8 am crazy early shit!

dude, i seriously thot i was the only one who had an obsession with my teeth, even when i was so afraid of the dentist at the same time. crazy. doesnt make any sense.

im meeting this dentist tomorrow at 8am with "kittie" (i cant believe you took such a stupid-ass name. youre such a dork)

its a consultation so i dontz know how much poke poke theyll do. it feelz like someone stuffed my heart into my throat and im all sweaty and itchy with panik. itz supposed to take an hour. i havnt been to a dentist in years because they make me feel like shit....i mean, my fear of them makes me feel like shit...."kittie" keeps telling me to say thingz like that -- all head correct like - and i dontz want her to correct me.

i think they iz gonna take xrays and give me that mouthwash -- i gotz busted for rising with bleach -- stuff and an exam. i dont want no one touching me.

im scared. i feel so dumb saying that. im scared, tho. big time. this sucks.

I JUST had my consultation today. It actually was a breeeze. they took me into a room and talked to me about my fears.. The xrays dont hurt and they look in ur mouth with a mirror. I dont know if your dentist will do anything else. Thats all they did with me and told me my treatment options. The only thing that sore was the plastic on the end of the intra-xray that was pressing against the bottom of my tongue when they took a picutre. Thats probably because I have a tiny mouth so that plastic end was hard to grip.

Ask them your sedation options for your treatment. :thumbsup:

its a consultation so i dontz know how much poke poke theyll do.

From what "Kitty" has said, he sounds like a sound guy, so just let him know that you don't want any poking :). Your first appointment should ideally be a get-to-know-you meeting, where you can see if you like and trust the dentist.

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow :grouphug:!!

Good luck tomorrow. Just remember, it's really best if you let the dentist know that you're afraid. He/she will be much better able to help you if you do. If you put on a "brave" face, he/she won't be able to help put your fears to rest.

Often, it's much braver to show how you're really feeling than to try to keep it all inside.

You'll be fine. :grouphug:

quote: "If you put on a "brave" face, he/she won't be able to help put your fears to rest.

Often, it's much braver to show how you're really feeling than to try to keep it all inside. "

ive asked my friend not to read this thread cuz i wanna not worry bouts being brave so i wanna be honest.

this iz really hard for me. like crazy.

i went to the consultation yezterday. it was really messed up. not only are my teeth messed up and i have to have some tooth canal filing, but the dentist was crazy worried about the infection in my mouth since i guess itz more than one spot at once and itz major bad.

ive never been talked to so serious, by anyone, the way the dentist talked to me. it scared me major. he put me on some serious antibiotics and some mouth rinse and went on and on about all thiz shit i have to be worried bout because of where the infection iz and how big it iz and how bad it iz.

i have to come back, he made me promize i wouldnt bounce, in like 10 dayz and he said hed clean the tooth out AND the surrounding area by my gumz and into the hinge of my jaw and shit. he was being so major serious bout my fever and me feeling crazy six and worn down.

i wuz really scared by his seriousness and i started to cry like some dumb idoit and i asked what would happen if i didnt come back cuz this iz too heavy. like way too heavy, and i wanted to handle it myself, and he said if i didnt handle this with him in 6 to 8 weeks then it would getz really bad and id get really sick and i could end up in the hospital and i could even die.

he even said, when he gave me the antibiotics that i had to call him back in 4 dayz and if i didn't seem any better, he might call the hospital to get me in anyway. like he looked me right in the eye and said if i called back in four dayz i said it was still major bad, then he would call the hospital. like WTF!!!

i cant take thiz. itz too heavy. my friend was flipping out and my foster dad was flipping out. and they were all mad at me cuz all the thingz i was doing to handle the symptomz just masked how bad it wuz. and i wuz wearing a scarf cuz it wasnt my face that was all puffed out but like my neck right under my jaw. and the dentist was pissed because he could see where i was cutting my gums to cut out the infection. the dentist wuz so pissed. im such a fuckup.

the stupid penacilin makes me sick to my stomach but im afraid if i dont take em im gonna end up in the hospital.

i cant take this. i cant take this.

Hi Statica, I'm so sorry to hear that everyone seems to be mad at you at a time when you need their support. But I have a feeling that they're not really mad at you at all, but really upset because you could've died! Often when people get really upset, they'll take it out on the wrong person. Even though it might be difficult, try and view their being mad at you as just a sign that they really care for you, because that is what's really behind their reaction. I suppose your dentist saw the need to be quite stern because he doesn't want you to die, either, and had to make sure you realise the danger you're in if nothing is done about it.

I hope the antibiotics are working for you - you should see an improvement within 24-48 hours, if not (or if your stomach can't take the penicillin), ring your dentist again. There are other antibiotics that can be prescribed.

You're NOT a fuckup - I would imagine that you avoided the dentist for very real reasons. The opposite is true: even though you were scared to death, you went in yesterday to face your biggest fear. That is true courage :respect:.

You ARE going to get through this. :grouphug:

First off, you took a very brave and important first step by going to that consultation. Be proud of yourself for that. All of us here know how much strength that takes. As for crying, I would say "dumb idiots" are more likely to keep it bottled up and pretend that nothing is wrong. There is nothing dumb or idiotic about staring into the face of the thing you fear most.

Now, as for the dentist's reaction. I understand why it scared you but I think it's far better that he leveled with you and let you know the potential consequences of sticking to your current routine. I would be far more concerned if he looked at you with indifference and said, "Yeah, infection, fever...big deal...whatever"

Sometimes, if we don't know what the potential consequences may be we're far too tempted to slip back into our old routines. It seems that his real message is, "We've got to get this under control and we've got to do it before it gets any worse." I don't think he was saying, "We can't get this under control"...as long as you follow his directions.

I'm also willing to bet that he wasn't upset or angry with you and that he didn't think you're messed up. Rather, his reaction likely comes from a place of concern. Rather than being upset WITH you, I would say that he was more likely upset FOR you and the fact that you've had to go through so much up to this point.

Now, for the antibiotics, your stomach may not be as upset if you take them with food. Be sure to follow whatever instructions are on the label to a tee. Also, be sure to follow your dentist's directions for follow-up so that he can readjust dosages if necessary. I'm sure the hospital will be a measure of last resort and it likely won't come to that. Chances are, the antibiotics he gave you will be a good start as long as you follow his instructions. However, just remember that whatever happens, you owe it to yourself to do whatever it takes to make sure that you don't have to be in pain any more.

If you still have questions, be sure to ask the friendly dentists in the "Your Dentistry Questions Answered" section of this site. They're really great.

You're going to be ok. :grouphug:

OMG! thanx so much for your suggestionz and help. it meanz a lot.

ya, i took the antibiotics with food and it didnt mess up my stomach so much.

im way more calm ...well, calm is relative in thiz situation but ... now about the dentist trip and can think about it more clear without feeling so crazy.

im supposed to go back in like 10 dayz when the antibiotics work out. they iz putting me under for the appointment, like "general anesthetic" shit, they said. the appointment iz supposed to be about four hourz. it kinda freaks me out that itz so long, because ill be out for so long and cuz what could they be doing to me for so long?!?!

other than getting my broken teeth fixed, they iz gonna clean out the area where the infection iz and operate some procedure on my gumz. i dont really like the whole like cutting and pulling back my gumz and stichez. i dont get it, i thot they only did that to like old old people or sumthin, but the dentist said he had to clean the whole area out to clean up the infection. iz the dentist even gonna be doing this part or will be be a hygenist? all the cutting and digging and poking freakz me out.

thats the word, anyway, trying not to be like freaked out but itz major overwhelming. at least my friend and my foster dad will be there in case i freak. my personality iz to bounce when thingz get too much, like a mad dash to the door, but i knowz i gotta settle down.

thanx for listening.

Last edited:
Hi Statica, sounds like you're doing better now :) - I hope the antibiotics are working. To answer at least one of your questions, any surgical stuff would be done by the dentist, not a hygienist. It sounds like you're not 100% sure yourself what the suggested treatment plan is - would you feel happier knowing or not knowing? If you'd feel happier knowing, then it is your right to have it in writing. It would also make it easier for others to answer/comment on your questions about what's being done :) - and maybe put your mind at rest a bit more.

You've been very courageous, and it's also good to hear that you have the support of your friend and foster dad :grouphug:

p.s. good to hear the antibiotics are no longer messing up your stomach too much

looking toward the future

Statica -
Check out this post I put up about a month/month & 1/2 ago ==

well, im taking them antibiotics and im feeling a bit better, better than when i wuznt dealing with nothing and my mouth wuz all messed up. i guess the first step of going had a reward to it after all. the mouth wash stuff i have to swish around my mouth tastes like shit: like mint and medical at the same time. itz supposed to help my broken tooth and my messed up gumz at the same time.

with the specific dental info for the gum treatment stuff, it just sayz "Deep Cleaning" and "Peridontal Surgery" but right under that word it sayz, "Pocket Depth Reduction " and then it lists the units of sedation required, etc.

from what i understand, i kinda shut off during the whole treatment explanation part with the dentist. i guess i gots so crazy scared that i couldnt like function, but this iz what my foster day told me: they want to fix the diseased area in my lower right side near the hinge, so they havta clean it out and remove all the fucked up parts of the tissue so it can heal proper.

it kinda like makes me like nervous because from what ive read here, like old people need that when they havnt gone for like 100 years and all they teeth is gonna crumble out of their mouthz or sumthin. and it soundz so major fucked up and everyone on here posts how scared they iz of having to have it done.

thats gonna be the major worst part of the whole deal next thursday, mos def, the deep cleaning and other gum shit. it makes me wanna cry when i imagine it in my head.

i know my dentist said if i needed sumthin, i could write him an email . i feelz like writing him cuz i didnt say not nothing during the whole consultation cuz i couldnt even talk i cizwuz crying so much and my words came out as mush and then i kinda just shut down.

thatz an awesome post, archaeodani2. thanx so much for sharing it with me! i can think the same way, it would be nize to not alwayz feel so broken when it comez to my mouth. not to be so stressed out and be able to sleep proper and eat proper.

i think thatz why my foster day is being so harsh because he hates to see me wince when i eat and not get a good night sleep. i feel bad for cuz i just showed up at hiz house with all these problemz.

but it actually makes me feel a little bit better about it/less crazy scared when i think about the good shit after.

Good to hear the antibiotics are working :).

it kinda like makes me like nervous because from what ive read here, like old people need that when they havnt gone for like 100 years and all they teeth is gonna crumble out of their mouthz or sumthin. and it soundz so major fucked up and everyone on here posts how scared they iz of having to have it done.

But they also come back and post about how much easier it was than they had thought... there's a page here on deep cleaning, it also includes some posters' comments:

Do you really think people (many of whom have a much lower pain threshold than yourself) would voluntarily have deep cleaning and perio surgery done if it was as horrid as you imagine? It sounds as if you've endured far worse already...

And - you're certainly not the only young person to have gum problems! It's actually pretty common :).

Your suggestion of e-mailing your dentist sounds good :thumbsup: - it must have been impossible to say much while you were there.

im sorry. i didnt mean noone no harm with my comments about old people and gum surgery or people goin thru it. im just crazy freaked out.

i like wanted to write the dentist mainly cuz i think it would help him understand me more. like, i have this major problem with letting people in close to me (my personal space) cuz i feel major vulnerable and feel like they iz gonna attack me or sumthin and i cant get my armz up in time to defend myself or bounce from the situation. i know this sounds messed up, but itz sumthing based on how i grew up

i gets major freaked out, not only havin to tolerate someone close to me who i dont know, but even the thot of having some dude in my personal space while i lay there vulnerable scares me. my smarts say that its the dentist doing treatment so be calm, but i cant override my fear or reaction. i know its the dentist, but hes still *doin stuff* to me that makes me sweat my dreads.

He won't be in your space much.....

Hi Statica
You said you are having GA, so he won't need to get much in your space to 'put you out' ...once you are 'out' that will cease to be an issue for you. Even if you just have i/v sedation, it would cease to be an issue.
Just imagine how nice it will be to 'wake up' and find it's all done and dusted intime for Christmas.
Good luck with it all - you will be fine as everyone is on your side including your dentist.:grouphug:

So glad to hear that you're feeling better.

As the others have said, I think an email to your dentist is a great idea. I would even mention the issues that you have with people being in your personal space so that he can adjust his approach better. It may help a little to also try to remind yourself that he's not there to hurt you but to help you.

Deep cleaning was part of my treatment, too. I was freaked before my first treatment but it seriously did not hurt at all. My gums were a little sore after a couple of the treatments but if you've ever burned your mouth or brushed your teeth a little too vigorously, you've felt much worse. By the next day, my gums felt fine and, in the case of the last treatment, my gums were fine that same evening.

You're going to be fine. :grouphug:

can't sleep

My appointment iz tomorrow and I cant sleep. what can i do to calm the hell down until this iz all over with?

Try distraction

Try to distract yourself with a DVD, warm relaxing bath or whatever. If you get a bad night's sleep it doesn't really matter...you will be able to rest after the treatment anyway. It's very common to have a sleepless night in this position. I would definitely have the following day off school if I were you. Then you'll have the weekend to recover as well.

If distraction doesn't work, try to focus on the positive..how much better will I feel 24, 48 hours from now and how proud of myself will I be?

You've come so far very quickly..you are almost over the biggest hurdle. You can do it. :grouphug:

Back