• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My Journal (impacted canine tooth, fear of pain etc) comments/advice welcome

J

Jimsie

Former Member
My Journal (impacted canine tooth, fear of pain etc) comments/advice welcome

I have my first dental appointment in over 3 years on monday. I am pretty much scared of every aspect of the dentist but mostly the pain. I can't think about anything else other than my teeth and the dentist at the moment. I can see block dots on teeth at the back so i presume they will need fillings. The last time i went i had a big filling and i hated every aspect of it like the pain from the anasthetic and the sensitivity etc. I managed to convince myself that i was worrying over nothing but then afterwards i thought the reality was much worse than anything i was thinking before.

Another thing i am very worried about is the fact that i have an impacted canine tooth. There is still a baby tooth in the place it was meant to be but the baby tooth is hollow and black inside.. i imagine the dentist will want to remove it. Then i think my options are either having a brace and trying to expose the big tooth and push it down or get a bridge and possibly have the impacted tooth extracted. I hate the idea of either option but i could probably tolerate a bridge better than i could tolerate braces.

Although i havn't had any particularly bad dentists, the last guy i had said he wouldn't use any injections and then ended up using about 3.. which was confusing and after the precedure he told me how bad the filling looked and lectured me about looking after them which i do anyway. So that didn't help matters. I want to tell the new dentist that I have a phobia of the pain and everything but i feel embarrassed to.

I am a student so i get free dentistry on the NHS so i dont think i could ask for sedation or anything. I will post again to talk about what happened and what is needed.

Re: My Journal (impacted canine tooth, fear of pain etc) comments/advice welcome

Just because you are a student does not disqualify you from having sedation. If you feel you need to have it, ask for it. Thats what I did. In my case, I needed an extraction and I had to ask for something to calm me down as I am the worlds worst extraction phobic. I was given oral sedation which didn't work and when the time came, I could not go through with it. I was then referred to a dental clinic which does IV sedation on the NHS and I'm due to have it out week after next.

Re: My Journal (impacted canine tooth, fear of pain etc) comments/advice welcome

I can't think of anything except my the state of my teeth and dentists at the moment so i thought it might help if i just posted another message. I will have my first appointment in just over 24 hours and i am quite scared. I am also pretty angry with the fact that my teeth seem to be in pretty bad condition from what i can see. I have researched cavities on the internet and it looks like i have a few.. some teeth look deep yellow inside with tiny holes in and some teeth even look grey. How come so many people get away with never needing fillings or anything?

I dont understand why they would be this bad since my last dental appointment i have been obsessively looking after my teeth. Although there are a few things that could harm my teeth that i didnt know about like dried fruit which i have regularly. But other than that i thought i had been doing ok. On top of all that there is the baby tooth and the impacted canine which im worried about.

Last edited:

I'm not a dentist but your teeth don't look bad at all to me. You say you last had NHS treatment 3 years ago and it was painful..it should not have been..if you dislike the local aneasthetic being given, ask your dentist to apply topical aneasthetic cream first and leave it for about 5 minutes..if they then release the solution quite slowly, it can be painfree..it's all about technique..dental injections are the most comfotable ones around if done properly. There's more info here:

Even though you are a student and going for NHS treatment where you have less control over your choice of dentist, remember if you really don't like them, you can go to a different NHS practice.
The incisor is up to you...so long as it is decay free you can probably leave it if you want to.
If you can get braces on the NHS though, I'd take it if I were you...they are not the big deal everyone makes them out to be. But no pressure if you are happy with the current situation, it is up to you what you do.
From personal experience what looks like decay to a layman often is just stain...so please wait and see what the dentist says and if you have any doubts, get a second opinion.
Do not attempt treatment without anaesthetic unless it is trivial because that will feed your phobia far more than a comfy injection.:grouphug: Do let us know how it goes. I think you probably have taken good care of your teeth and a good dentist should not make negative remarks. Your gums look healthy to me..it's amazing what flossing can do in that department if there ever is a problem.

If you want a dentist's opinion repost your pics in the Dentistry Questions section..maybe afterwards so you can see if they agree with the diagnosis as far as they can comment just on photos.

Last edited:

Thanks. It does help a lot to post on the forum and read what other people have put. I will post again tomorrow after the appointment.

So i went to the first appointment today. I had never been to the surgery before and i was amazed at how nice it was. The waiting room looked like a waiting room in a hotel or something. The people were very nice despite me being almost half an hour late from getting lost.

I was pretty nervous sitting in the dentist chair, it just reminded me of other unpleasent experiences so i was very sensitive to all the poking around which bothered me a bit. It was over very soon though. I had some xrays and he said i only need one small filling, which is amazing considering i was expecting 3 big ones. But the one filling is where i thought one would be.

I told him i had painful experiences in the past and he said they have methods of making it more comfortable.. although im not enitely sure what they are. Overall i was very happy with the experience and i hope the next appointment in 2 weeks time goes just as well.

Well done :jump:- he probably means topical anaesthetic but it's been around for decades - outrageous not used by all dentists....you can always request it. Think you'll be fine - nice premises and friendly staff are invariably a good sign ;).

I would argue that the recent fast growth of the UK private sector in dentistry has forced those who do choose to stay in NHS practices (maybe for altruistic reasons even) to be 'less bargain basement' in their approach to decor and patient care....hopefully no more plastic chairs arranged around the edges of the room...dogeared magazines, scary gum disease posters etc etc ...you know the sort of thing.

I have the appointment to get the filling tomorrow and see what he says about the x-rays. I'm still a bit nervous about the filling and its been at the back of my mind the last couple of weeks. I'm even more nervous about what he will say about the impacted canine though, he asked me if a dentist had suggested i have it extracted before and im worried he will say i should.

I looked up more about it on the internet and saw a video of the surgery on YouTube which was probably a bad idea. After seeing that and reading peoples stories from it, i really dont want to have it done. I also dont want to get a bridge either but i think thats unavoidable when the baby tooth falls out.

I will post again after the appointment.

Ive just had the filling. It wasn't as bad as last time but it still worse than i was hoping. The injections still hurt a bit after the numbing gel was put on and some parts of the precedure afterwards were quite uncomfortable. Especially the vibrating thing. I do think my mind exaggerates everything thats going on, but it does help to have a nice dentist.

With my impacted canine, he says he wants to remove the baby tooth which is decaying and let the big tooth errupt by itself. The he said i might need braces. Ive never heard of an impacted tooth erupting by itself so im not entirely sure how accurate that is. Plus i really dont want braces. He said we can do it in 6 months time though.

I just had my surgery for my impacted canine tooth and it wasn't bad at all. I have been wearing braces for about a year now in preperation for the surgery. I had a retained baby tooth in place as well which was becoming hollow. I opted for gas instead of IV sedation. So I got a topical anestic then 3 shots while i was breathing in the gas so I didn't really feel them. They extracted my baby tooth which I didn't even feel at all. Then they located the canine in my palate and attached a bracket so it can slowly be brought down into place.All I felt while this was being done was pressure no pain at all. I have a litte gold chain hanging down from my palate which is attached to the wire on my braces to help guide the tooth into place. The whole procedure took about 45 min. Like you and most people I have a fear of the dentist but an impacted tooth cannot be left it can cause serious dental problems as you get older. I had put off the surgery for over 10 years now and feel silly about it beacuse it was really no big deal at all. I hope this helps and good luck. :)

I just had my surgery for my impacted canine tooth and it wasn't bad at all. I have been wearing braces for about a year now in preperation for the surgery. I had a retained baby tooth in place as well which was becoming hollow. I opted for gas instead of IV sedation. So I got a topical anestic then 3 shots while i was breathing in the gas so I didn't really feel them. They extracted my baby tooth which I didn't even feel at all. Then they located the canine in my palate and attached a bracket so it can slowly be brought down into place.All I felt while this was being done was pressure no pain at all. I have a litte gold chain hanging down from my palate which is attached to the wire on my braces to help guide the tooth into place. The whole procedure took about 45 min. Like you and most people I have a fear of the dentist but an impacted tooth cannot be left it can cause serious dental problems as you get older. I had put off the surgery for over 10 years now and feel silly about it beacuse it was really no big deal at all. I hope this helps and good luck. :)

Thanks for replying with your story, i was hoping to find someone who had also had it done. :) Did you have the shots in the roof of your mouth? I have read other people saying they had that and it was quite uncomfortable, i find the ones in the gum bad enough.

Did you have any pain or problems after the surgery? Im not sure how much the surgery varies in different countries but are you from the uk?

Hi there! I was in a very similar situation as you this time last year. Put off goin 2 the dentist for about 15 yrs. had a bad experience as a 10 yr old and never wasnted to go back. Anyway was told I had 2 baby canines still in ok condition. After lotsa tears I decided to get braces and then uncover the adult teeth. My orthodontists plan was to get the baby teeth removed and then braces applied. His theroy was that with the baby teeth being gone, the adult ones would move. Also when it would come to moving the adults ones into place, the brace would be stable enough for the added pressure. He reckoned that any kind of movement was good as it would mean less "rooting" around for my oral surgeon. In the mean time he stuck 2 fake teeth in the gaps thus making the missing teeth less obvious. After 6 months or so I had the surgery. I was supposed to be getting the 2 teeth uncovered on the same day but as I wa soooooooooooooooooo nervous the peridontist decided against it. No point in lying, the procedure was v uncomfortable even under local anaesthetic. I also requested valium which helped somewhat. The sensation of his actions and also wondering about what he was doing was probably the worst. As I said, I was extreamely nervous and couldn't even talk to my peridontist before the surgeory. I was shaking so much he said he found it really hard to inject me (in my palette). Think I had about 6 or more injections. After removing the dressing, my orthodontist attached an apparatus from my exposed teeth to the brace. Alls goin ok now and the teeth are moving. But REALLY want them to move faster! Nearly have the braces on a year now and feel sickened having braces and 2 gaps in my mouth at the age of 26. Get depressed about it from time to time and my self confidence is totally non existant. Some people are better able to cope than others I guess. Will b all worth it....! x

Thanks for replying. Did you not have the option to have the surgery done under general anasthetic? I dont think i could tolerate being conscious while its going on, especially with the needles in the palette and now that i know what they do.

I'm starting to wonder if its really worth having braces for so long and the surgery just for one canine. I can't stop worrying about it.

Thanks for posting. I have similar issues - impacted canines. I think I'd rather just yank them all out and have implants or a bridge - I don't think I can manage years of braces. But I'm interested how your teeth turn out.

Thanks for posting. I have similar issues - impacted canines. I think I'd rather just yank them all out and have implants or a bridge - I don't think I can manage years of braces. But I'm interested how your teeth turn out.

Yeah, its a difficult dilemma since there can be problems with having implants or bridges and i think the impacted tooth needs to come out anyway which still requires surgery. I think having braces is the best overall outcome but the whole situation seems quite daunting. Its nice to know im not the only one in this situation.

Hi Jimsie-

They don't have invisalign in th UK? I live in the states and I'm getting braces also, btw I'm thirty, but invisalign are basically invisible braces. They are more expensive and no insurance here covers them but a lot of dentists have payment plans. I'm sure there are different kinds of braces, ask your ortho. Have him show you and ask about the price and treatment length.

Unfortionatly invisalign can't be used when an impacted canine needs to be bought down.

Hi! Im in the northwest uk. Got a impacted canine also. Have to go to the hospital dentist and they're really good.
I had it exposed last week and theyve attached a chain. Didnt hurt at all! Not doing any braces yet, just waiting to see if it will come down on its own. I had my baby tooth out in Dec 08 and my adult canine had moved down a lot by itself, from the roof of my mouth, to a cm above my gum!! They didnt think it would cos Im 28!! But Im really hopeful to get braces. My confidence has been knocked a bit because Ive been toothless and impatient for nearly a year! But, fingers crossed I'll have near perfect teeth and I think braces are cute anyway!! Good luck with yours!! ;)

Hi! Im in the northwest uk. Got a impacted canine also. Have to go to the hospital dentist and they're really good.
I had it exposed last week and theyve attached a chain. Didnt hurt at all! Not doing any braces yet, just waiting to see if it will come down on its own. I had my baby tooth out in Dec 08 and my adult canine had moved down a lot by itself, from the roof of my mouth, to a cm above my gum!! They didnt think it would cos Im 28!! But Im really hopeful to get braces. My confidence has been knocked a bit because Ive been toothless and impatient for nearly a year! But, fingers crossed I'll have near perfect teeth and I think braces are cute anyway!! Good luck with yours!! ;)

Thats good to know. Did you have your tooth exposed through GA or IV Sedation or anything?

Thats good to know. Did you have your tooth exposed through GA or IV Sedation or anything?

Any treatment under local should just involve pressure not pain...if you feel pain then you are not properly anaesthetised, so you must alert them if you feel anything untoward.

Syringe pain after topical was probably because it wasn't being injected slowly enough (ironically)...if you appear distressed a dentist is naturally inclined to speed it up maybe.
Some dentists even without TheWand or similar gadget, go miles out of their way to give comfortable injections with steps such as warming the anaesthetic solution first, doing the first part with a few drops of a less stingy anaesthetic so it pre-numbs etc etc - I always look for dentists with these caring approaches myself I have to say, even though my NHS injection experiences were in fact tolerable because of topical and slow delivery.

Even palatals can be done comfortably with the right techniques and gadgets...TheWand is especially good for them....some NHS hospital-based dentists/surgeons have them available but not aware of them being used routinely in NHS surgery-based dentistry.

Back