• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My Journal (impacted canine tooth, fear of pain etc) comments/advice welcome

Re: My Journal (impacted canine tooth, fear of pain etc) comments/advice welcome

Ive just come back from my first visit. Luckily my canine is nowhere near as far up as i expected and apparently i wont need the exposure surgery which im so happy about. :yay:

Although i do have to have to have my baby canine removed next monday which im not looking forward to. Apparently it involves palatal anesthetic which im dreading.

After that we will see if the big canine comes through on its own. If not then i will need braces.. so im really hoping it will come through. But i am so relived its not as bad as i thought. ;D

Re: My Journal (impacted canine tooth, fear of pain etc) comments/advice welcome

I'm very nervous about tomorrow now, i really should stop searching everything on the internet. From what i keep reading, palatal injections sound like hell. The normal ones are bad enough.

Although I wish now that I would have researched my procedure before the actually surgery, it is probably a good thing I didn't because I would have scared myself out of having it done.

Good Luck!!

Before I had braces years ago (obviously I wouldn't need them now, I have no teeth ;D ) I had to have a baby canine pulled also and then after I had braces there was a wire attached to the perm to bring it down.

Hi, I'm 35 and I too am the proud (yet scared!!) owner of a pesky impacted canine tooth. Up until Feb this year, my canine baby tooth was sitting quite happily in place and I had no problems. I had seen an orthodontist at my local hospital this time last year to discuss what my options were if, and when, the baby tooth ever came out. They told me the best option would be to remove the baby tooth and then have the impacted canine surgically exposed and brought down into the correct place with braces. I too saw the clip of the impacted tooth exposure on youtube. It was pretty brutal and I have to say scared the hell out of me!!:scared:

In February, my baby tooth came out of it's own accord, and within 6 or 8 weeks the impacted canine started to push through on it's own (yippee!) Earlier this week I saw my orthodontist again and he's happy that the canine has pushed through enough to be able to attach a bracket to it.

I now have 3 appointments for January to have my braces fitted. Half of me is excited at the prospect of being able to smile again, yet the other half is worried and scared at the thought of being a metal mouth for the next 12-18 months.

I'm so pleased to hear I'm not the only one going through this and wish you luck with your treatment plan.

Hello all,
I'm 22 years old and before 6 months ago had no dental insurance. I had my wisdom teeth out though, due to need (all 4 impacted and I was in agony) and when they x rayed he said I have an impacted canine on top and bottom of my right side. Said I should get it done within a year but since I had no insurance it wasn't possible. I'm now thinking of getting it done soon after the new year. My insurance pays %50 orthodontics with no deductible with a $1500 lifetime maximum. I see you have all had this done. Anyone give me any cost ideas? I'm in MD near DC, but any ideas would be nice. Thanks!:meanie:

Hi, I am 22 and have an impacted upper right canine. I have had the braces on for a year and recently had the exposure surgery. My impacted canine is in my palate and pushing on the roots of the tooth next to it. We are trying to first pull the tooth away from the roots and then pull the tooth down.

My whole saga started in May 2008 when I broke the baby tooth on a piece of uncooked popcorn. The dentist took x-rays and saw the adult canine was way up there. I then spent the summer in utah with a gap(huge boost of confidence). I had braces put on Dec. 2008 and spent eight months making space. Then had surgery Dec. 11th 2009 to expose it and get my impacted wisdom teeth removed.

I am hoping that my impacted canine starts to move. I really want this to work. My ortho believes there is a 90% chance my canine will respond to pulling it.

The only issue for me is that I am attending Grad School in Cincinnati and now fly home every 3-4 weeks for treatment. My ortho is going to teach me how to pull my tooth so I can then come every other month(which would be amazing)!!!

The braces costed about 4,000-5,000 dollars with insurance paying 1500 of it.
The exposure costs about 500 or so. My hometown is Virginia Beach, Va where I had the braces put on and the surgery.

I normally had dentists and have avoided them for years.I went while at home for Christmas Break to get cavities filled.
Glad to see that other people have impacted canines.

Just updating this thread since I have just had another appointment with my dentist. Strangely he dosn't want to do anything to it and just wants to wait for the tooth to come through on its own with no braces or surgery or anything. The gap has been there for over 3 months now and no sign of the tooth coming through and I can't imagine it ever doing.

I am bit paranoid that he's just avoiding doing the work because of my fear of dentists and the fact that I don't pay for dentistry. He did give me the option of having braces to speed up the process but i don't want to do it if i don't absolutely need to so i'm just going to follow his advice and leave it. I hope he is right and I am not just being paranoid because I dont want to have to worry about it in 4 months time once ive left university and moved back home. :confused:

Last edited:
Jimsie- an update on my July 2009 surgery.

Hi there:

To answer you question I was offered IV sedation but declined it since I was told it wouldn't be necessary. My impacted tooth was at a very strange angle
and close to the roots of my front teeth.
I had the surgery in July 2009 and the orthodontist started moving the tooth about two months after that. So from September until now about 5 months or so my tooth is finally straight and ready to be pulled foward and straight down into the proper place. Its a long and tedious process going to the dentist about every 5 weeks but well worth it. Leaving an impacted tooth and never bringing it into place or having it removed can cause serious dental problems in the future. If the roots on the impacted tooth grow a cyst you'll be looking at very expensive surgery and possible develpoment of mouth cancer. That's what I had a few differerent oral surgeons tell me. I got several opinion before having the surgery and not one told me to leave the tooth in my palate.

The impacted canine has not made any progress since last time. My dentist now wants to refer me to the hospital to get it checked out. The only problem with that is I don't know where i am going to be living in a months time, since i have just finished university and i am looking for work.

I have now had swelling around the impacted canine tooth and the teeth around it are feeling loose. I am very worried that this is caused by a cyst or infection. Although there is no pain apart from the impacted canine tooth sometimes feeling sensitive.

I am still terrified by the idea of having surgery and braces for this and my dentist doesn't seem to think treatment needs to be urgent. But i am also scared it is going to get infected or already had and i will need the surgery anyway.

I booked another appointment to see the dentist about swelling/loose feeling teeth, but then cancelled it because i thought i was just being paranoid. I have now noticed that there is a small gap that has formed around the loose teeth that wasn't there before.

I don't want rebook an appointment that i just cancelled, i feel like i will become a nuisance. Unfortunately this means that i am worrying about it all day and night. I am so scared that it will suddenly start to become very painful.

I am a bit of a hypochondriac anyway, in the past i have worried about illnesses that i don't actually have and I am hoping this is me just worrying about something that isn't really there.

I have accepted that I will need to get braces and have it bought into place. I just hope that cysts have not formed because that would mean that this situation is going to be much worse.

I won't even be able to go to the hospital to get it checked until i have found a job and worked out where I am going to live. So until then i am just going to have this constant worry and watch it to see what if it gets any worse.

Last edited:

I wouldn't worring about looking like being a nuisance, they don't have to know why you cancelled before or why you are re-booking now, this IS worring you and you won't feel settled until you know what is really going on in there.

Don't put this off until you know where you are going to live, that could be any length of time. This is happening in your mouth NOW. Hospital appointments can be transferred if you move, its not an unheard of occurance that someone moves home. What if you get a job where you have to travel around the country, you will never be settled and never get this problem sorted.

You will be giving yourself unnecessary stress and worry over your mouth if you don't start doing something now.

I have now started having a slight aching feeling around the area. Its hard to if it is a real ache or more just like anxiety making me think its aching. But whatever it is, it was enough to keep me up all night again worrying. I need to stop Googling these symptoms, it puts so many more worries in my head.

I have now rebooked my cancelled appointment. The earliest they could get me in is Thursday. I hope that this "ache" dosn't get any worse and that I can stop worrying until then.

Its strange that at the moment, all other aspects of my life have been going great for the first time in a very long time. Its a shame that this has to completely overshadow and ruin all that.

Last edited:

I hope Thursdays appointment puts your mind at rest:hug2: Well done for re-making it!

I have only just read your posts from beginning to end. I am getting braces soon, unfortuently my missing tooth (one next to the front) isn't inpacted....it's just not there! I have a baby canine next to the adult canine instead! They are going to remove the baby tooth and once the braces have straightened my teeth out and closed the gap I am hoping that my dentist will shape the canine to look like the tooth thats missing to make my smile a little bit more even! I did have the choice for false or bridge but that would mean having a gap at the front of my mouth throughout the lengthy brace treatment and they reccommended doing it the way I have opted for. Just hope it looks ok....mind you it will look better than it does now for sure! Anyway, good luck!:grouphug:

Back