• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My journal - Towards a smile that I can be proud of

F

Fearful Charlie

14th July - The day that I bit the bullet and finally went to the dentist after 30 years of not being able to go. I sat in the chair and let the dentist look at my teeth and I watched her face as she smiled kindly at me and reeled off a list of all the work that I needed to have done to the dental nurse.

I need 18 extractions and 3 fillings which will result in me keeping 8 of my bottom front teeth and having a lower partial and a full top set of dentures.

Total cost over the next 10 appointments = £2,400.00.

Today I have worked out a schedule with when I am able to pay for all this treatment and am going to call the dentists tomorrow to book some of the appointments. I should be able to finish all this treatment by mid November.

My journey to a great smile has begun :) x

Good luck with your journey Charlie!

You are going to have a great smile Charlie! I think you are lucky to be keeping 8 of your natural bottom teeth, that will make all the difference I am sure.

Are in in the UK since you stated your cost in £'s? I also wondered why you won't be completed until November? Once I decided, that was it, I just wanted to get it done - maybe you are more patient than me :)

Yes Caz7 I live in Kent. It's the money that's the problem..... if I could then I would rush and get it done now but unfortunately I'm a student and I haven't told anyone that I am getting my teeth fixed so I am very much on my own and scraping the money together by selling my worldly goods :giggle:

Hi Charlie, oh I understand now, the cost for me was a stretch also. I hope you reach your target to get the work done in the timescale you are hoping for :)

Having to change my goals now for getting all the work done to my teeth due to money constraints but I feel ok about it. Now looking at the end of January. Just wish that I could confide in my hubby but tbh he is not very supportive at the best of times. My beautiful daughter (26) now knows though and she cried when I told her as she has come to realise over the last few years how much I have been struggling with my lack of smile. It's so difficult living in a house full of fun and laughter and not being able to even smile. My time will come though x

Finally booked my first 5 appointments:-

Appoint 1 - 3 extractions on 6th Sept
Appoint 2 - 2 extractions on 15th Sept
Appoint 3 - 4 extractions on 3rd Oct
Appoint 4 - 4 extractions on 31st Oct
Appoint 5 with the Hygienist on 3rd Nov

This still leaves me with 7 extractions, 3 fillings and then upper full denture and lower partial denture (I'm managing to keep my bottom 8 front teeth) to do after Christmas.

I really wish that I could afford to pay for all of my treatment before Christmas but it's just not manageable.

My new smile will have to wait ?? x

Good luck with all of your treatment appointments. I hope you find that you can do things sooner than you think maybe you could ask everyone for money for christmas.

The good thing is that you have started now and you will get there :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Thank you so much Carole. Unfortunately I have no family to give me money for Christmas and I don't think that my children would like to give up their Christmas presents either lol. They would be revolting lol :grin::grin:x

I see where you are coming from I think the most you are likely to get from the kids if it is Chrissy presents or mums teeth is a straw.

I wish you all the best and I hope you get them done as soon as you can. Even if it is going to be January at least you have an end goal. I am sure you will get there :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: :magicwand::butterfly:

Thank you Carole. I felt disappointed to start with that I wouldn't be getting my new smile for a few months but then looking at the bigger picture I haven't had a nice smile for 30 years so waiting another 6 months isn't going to hurt me is it ?? I will get there and it is going to be fantastic when I do x

It most certainly will be worth it. I wish you all the best :butterfly:

I just caught up with your journal! Well done on getting the appointments set up. The waiting is hard but you will get there in the end. Time goes so quickly and at least you know you are 'on your way'!

Bless your daughter for feeling so much compassion for her Mum. Being able to laugh and smile with the family is the best part of this journey :)

I wish you all the very best!

Thank you so much. Your support means the world to me :friends::jump::jump::hug4::hug4::hug5::hug5::bounces::bounces:

Cant wait to hear more about your journey Charlie :)

Carole X

Need a catch up here. My journey restarted on Thurs 28th Feb when I had my first appointment at a new dentist. Very anxious but I muddled through. 18 extractions needed, 6 fillings, full upper denture and partial lower denture...... phew!!

I had my 2nd appointment on Monday 18th March...... 5 extractions (ouch) and 3 fillings done.

Next appointments are Thursday 28th March for 5 extractions.

Monday 1st April for last 3 fillings.

I can do this ????

What a week ?? The pain has been awful...... so bad that I have actually wanted to chop my own head off to stop it.

Appointment has been brought forward to Wednesday now...... 5 more extractions and don’t know how I will cope with it.

No mention of impressions for my denture yet..... so feeling pretty down about it all.

Have ordered a cuff bracelet today with special words on it to wear whilst I am at the dentist. Hopefully this will help me to keep my focus on the finished result...... beautiful smile ??

Well...... everything has changed. I spoke to the dentist at my extraction appointment and asked her about immediate dentures. She has agreed that I can have them so I had impressions instead. I will now get my top full denture much sooner than I expected. Feel so excited ??

My appointment went fabulously yesterday. My bottom front fillings have been finished and they look and feel fabulous.

I also had my fitting for top denture and she took ages chopping bits off of it until she was happy with the fit. It felt massive to me so hopefully the finished denture will be a lot smaller.

I choose A3 colour but she shook her head and advised me to have A2, so I have gone with that.

Next appointment isn’t until 25th April and she is on holiday for the next 2 weeks and then the final 9 extractions and fitting on 3rd May.

Then we will start on my bottom partial.

I am so happy right now, but also angry at myself for not starting this journey sooner...... all those wasted years of being terrified of the dentist. It upsets me so much realising that not one of my children have a smiling mummy in any of their photos ??

Back