• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My journey to a beautiful smile

Roxy2015

Roxy2015

Hi guys,

Well this will be my story to getting the smile I have always dreamed about.

Let me start at the beginning..

I’m afraid my teeth were a nightmare from day 1. My mum of course had beautiful teeth and had no fillings until she was pregnant with my brother at the age of 30 something, but my dad on the other hand had the worst teeth you can imagine, ugly big rotten teeth which were extracted at the age of 19. Well I don’t have tell you who I took after ?.

Even as a teen, my teeth were a nightmare, multiple extractions, nasty braces, nasty dentists also. However in my twenties my teeth were the best they were ever going to be, and I got on with life. Unfortunately not visiting the dentist as often as I should, but things were ok. I was smoking and drinking having a great time, you know how it is..

by the age of 38 things were going very wrong. I was still a smoker, I was extremely anaemic, having iron infusions, and I still had my rotten teeth which by this time were shifting big time. However I met the man of my dreams, and we wanted to get married.

so I was recommended to a dentist in London for braces. Everything seemed good at first and I had Invisalign braces. However, things were not quite right, and a temporary bridge I had kept falling out. After the 3rd time, I was really not happy, and popped into a dentist in my town. To say they were horrified was an understatement. They told me I had dreadful gum disease, and why had this London dentist fitted me with braces? whilst my gums were like this. The local dentist, said the braces would be a waste of time, it would just delay the problems of shifting teeth and a lot worse.

i was upset and horrified, especially as I’d paid this London dentist already nearly £2000. I went back to London and told them what the other dentist said. They said it wasn’t true, and eventually won me round. I had no choice, I had no more money and I was getting married within a year so I continued with the braces, and then finally I had beautiful straight teeth for my wedding.

all was good

oh no it wasn’t, because about 2 years ago, I realised all was not well in my mouth ? unfortunately the dentist in my hometown was so right, my gum disease was back big time, sore gums, shifting teeth, and my beautiful smile was embarrassing and ugly again.

For the last year, I was broke but I knew I had to do something, so I finally got some money together and visited a private dentist in my town.

The worst possible news was given to me, my teeth are now too far gone to save, and I need dentures top and bottom. To say I’ve been floored is an understatement. Feeling really sad, scared and worried. I have done a lot of research and I feel like I know what to expect, but that doesnt get rid of the worry. My dad has talked to me all about his teeth and that dentures are great, no more toothache, no more fillings. I’ve watched YouTube videos like crazy but I still feel like I’m on a rollercoaster right now. Really emotional and sad. I also feel embarrassed, what will my work colleagues say. Because my teeth are quite large, people will immediately see the difference when suddenly I have amazing teeth. Maybe I should just be proud when I get to that time, but deep down I’m a shy person, and not very confident... and actually that all links to my teeth I think.

my private dentist quoted about £4000 which I cannot afford, so now I’m trying to go through the NHS way.. however the dentures will be private.

so this is my story, and I will add to it as my journey continues. Wish me luck, and I hope my story will help other people who may be starting out with a similar adventure.

i will post pics eventually, but for now this is it. My first appointment with the NHS dentist is in 2 weeks time ?

Last edited:
Aww. I am sorry to hear you have suffered so.

You have been a good sport

Good luck, and I hope you will keep us posted.

Well D Day is tomorrow when I will finally visit my new NHS Dentist.. fingers crossed for me. I was nervous, but actually my dog has to be xrayed at the vets tomorrow as she has developed a limp, and I’m now more worried about that.. wish us both luck anyway. I will post tomorrow night and let you know what happens

Good luck!

You've got this.

You'll do great.

Keep us posted.

This time tomorrow you'll be posting here that overall it went just fine. You'll have some moments of it sucking, for sure, but they'll be over before you know it.

You'll be laughing about this (in a good way), before you know it.

Good luck!

You've got this.

You'll do great.

Keep us posted.

This time tomorrow you'll be posting here that overall it went just fine. You'll have some moments of it sucking, for sure, but they'll be over before you know it.

You'll be laughing about this (in a good way), before you know it.

ahh thanks so much ☺️

Hey guys, well I’ve been and had my dentist appointment. I’m afraid it’s the news I was expecting. To say I feel shattered again is an understatement.

So I am all booked up for my gum moulds I guess that’s what they call it on the 5th September, my first lot of extractions on the 28th September, and my second lot of extractions on the 5th October.

To say im terrified is an understatement, however the price was a lot nicer. Just £250 is for for the extractions, immediate dentures are free and eventually £800 to a £1000 for the permenant dentures.

Now one I have to tackle work for the time off, this is what I’ve been dreading, telling people what happening. I’ve already tried , but it just doesn’t come out. I guess I feel embarrassed.

ill be back later, I’m just going for a cry ?

If you want or need to cry, then you go for it.

We will be here.

You facing a difficult situation, to be sure.

Now one you know better where you stand.

You can start to get around this situation.

You got this.

Hey guys, well I’ve been and had my dentist appointment. I’m afraid it’s the news I was expecting. To say I feel shattered again is an understatement.

So I am all booked up for my gum moulds I guess that’s what they call it on the 5th September, my first lot of extractions on the 28th September, and my second lot of extractions on the 5th October.

To say im terrified is an understatement, however the price was a lot nicer. Just £250 is for for the extractions, immediate dentures are free and eventually £800 to a £1000 for the permenant dentures.

Now one I have to tackle work for the time off, this is what I’ve been dreading, telling people what happening. I’ve already tried , but it just doesn’t come out. I guess I feel embarrassed.

ill be back later, I’m just going for a cry ?
Bless you! Sending you a big hug down the fibre optic cable and thinking of you. All will be well soon :XXLhug: XX

Well I thought I would just do a little update, not that anything has happened yet but about my mental state etc. I’m pleased to let everyone know that my work has been fabulous! All that worry for nothing. It seems like I will have about 2 weeks off maybe up to 18 days just because of my roster.
I work on the telephones all day long every day, every other week. However I’ve timed it so my first week back will be off the phones lol. I work in a complaints department so I must be articulate which is why I’m a little nervous , but I’m sure I’ll be fine.

Confidence wise I feel really great, I’ve Googled, watched You Tube videos and know everything there is to know about dentures . I’m like that, I must always do my home work as it makes me feel more settled and now I do :)

however i still havent plucked up the courage to tell my friends yet, I will.. one by one, but I keep chickening out. Maybe I shouldn’t telll them beforehand, but again I’d rather let them know now then getting loads of questions afterwards when I can’t talk well possibly. Ahh well we will see what happens.

roll on the 5th sept when I get my moulds done ?

however i still havent plucked up the courage to tell my friends yet, I will.. one by one, but I keep chickening out. Maybe I shouldn’t telll them beforehand, but again I’d rather let them know now then getting loads of questions afterwards when I can’t talk well possibly.

If you don't feel too comfortable telling them yet then maybe it's not the right time yet. I am sure that with a bit of time you will find a good moment where it just will feel right to tell them.. if you would like them to know, of course.

Thank you for the update and keep us posted:)

Hey guys,

well a little update for you, so I went to the dentist today for my moulds and my wax bite.. all went well, apart from the bottom jaw mould was terrible, made me feel really sick lol. I did manage to hold on though. We also discussed colour of the dentures and I mentioned B2 but he felt that was very white and thought I would suit A2 much better. To be honest they looked very similar to me, but I went with what the dentist said. Is this a good colour?

so that’s it then, just three weeks till extractions, feel quite nervous but sort of excited too.. I managed to tell two girls at work today as well and they were marvellous. They gave me a huge hug and said I was brave, but I would look fantastic. I’ve recently had a new haircut too, so they were saying it will be a new me ? they are so excited for me, as they know I’ve had braces and lots of teeth problems, so are so supportive.

Thanks so much guys

Hey guys, I thought I would do a little update.

Well just 12 days to go now and I feel absolutely quite nervous now. Actually that’s a little bit of an understatement and I am actually feeling panicked about the whole thing. It’s strange as when this journey started I was nervous about what everyone would say. Now I’m feeling really scared about the actual extractions, especially my front teeth being pulled as I will be awake. As much as I hate my teeth, they are still my teeth and they’ll be gone soon.

I wish i could just fastforward to afterwards now. Pain I can deal with, nerves are a nightmare for me, hence why I’m awake at 7am on Sunday morning. It’s been like this for the last 3 or 4 days, really early wake ups with my tummy full of butterflies.

anyway thanks everyone for listening to me waffle ☺️

Hi Roxy,

i have no experience of what you’re going through, but I had a lower molar extracted last year, and I was a total wreck with nerves - much as it is horrible, I reckon you would be really unusual not to be anxious. I don’t know if this is any help, but my understanding is that gum disease actually makes the extractions a bit easier.

I hope the days pass pass quickly and that you have some nice things planned to look forward to after the treatment.

Xx

8 days to go and still feeling scared, however I just want to it over and done with now. The weirdest thing is, I haven’t had toothache for years, and suddenly my teeth have been painful, especially one of my top teeth. It’s like they think right your getting rid of me, I’m going to cause you pain for the last time haha.

The other thing that frustrated me, is that I initially had to get a letter from the dentist re what I’m having done for my work.. the dentist wrote that I should take a day or two off!!! I’m having 22 teeth out, Im sure I need more than a day or two for sure.. thankfully I told work that I couldn’t get a letter ...as originally the dentist was being difficult. I suddenly got a call from them today saying the letter was done, after I’d told work I couldn’t get one!!
i feel that this dentist has been like this from the beginning, he’s just so matter of fact. I’m sure it will be fine but his attitude sucks lol

ive also bought loads of stuff, adhesive, steradent, just so Im ready to go ?

Oh well it’s Monday and my upper jaw extractions are happening on Friday, the lower teeth a week later.. and oh my goodness the nerves are really kicking in now. Thankfully work will keep me busy, which is a good thing. Thursday after work my husband will collect me from work and take me to a supermarket so I can buy all the things I need, I.e soup, milkshake potatoes so I can make mash. Yogurts.. And porridge....just every soft thing I can imagine.

ive also got a bag together with all my stuff for the dentures, bonjela, steradent, denture bath, ibroprofen, denture brush and denture bath, paracetamol lol adhesive ... I’m broke now, but I think I’m ready. I’d rather be too ready than not ready at all.. I’m like that.

thanks for everyone’s support in this, I don’t think I would have coped as well if you hadn’t all been amazing..

have to go go to work now, so I’ll write again soon x

Hi Roxy,

you are a champ and doing something incredibly courageous. While I do not know how exactly you feel, I can say I would be dying of anxiety if I were in your shoes. Good to read that you have work to keep you busy, hope it will serve you as a distraction for a long time. Writing here on the forum helps a lot, I remember writing several times a day just to get my thoughts out at my worst, so it might be helpful for you too.

Hang on there, sending you good vibes, keep us posted and please share anything that you find out is helpful when dealing with the days closely before a procedure..

All the best wishes

Hi Roxy,

you are a champ and doing something incredibly courageous. While I do not know how exactly you feel, I can say I would be dying of anxiety if I were in your shoes. Good to read that you have work to keep you busy, hope it will serve you as a distraction for a long time. Writing here on the forum helps a lot, I remember writing several times a day just to get my thoughts out at my worst, so it might be helpful for you too.

Hang on there, sending you good vibes, keep us posted and please share anything that you find out is helpful when dealing with the days closely before a procedure..

All the best wishes

Ahh thank you so much, it means so much ?

Well it’s the day before my first EDay I think they call it, and do you know I feel ok. Nervous yes, but it’s so weird I have a strange sort of calm over me.. not sure why haha.

So tomorrow at 1030 I will have my top teeth taken out, all 10 of them.. yes it’s going to hurt, and I will be sore and uncomfortable, but hopefully I will have a nice smile for the first time in 20 odd years. I’m more scared about dry socket than anything else, as I’ve had it before. This time however I don’t smoke and I’m not on the pill anymore, so hopefully my chances of getting it have been lowered. Let’s hope so anyway. That was probably the worst pain I ever had in my life, so I’m hoping the dentist will give me something to take home, just in case.

if I get a chance I will write tomorrow morning before the dentist.. wish me luck though ?

I hope tomorrow goes well for you!

All my thoughts and best wishes for you tomorrow.

Back