• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My journey to gaining self confidence

M

m1th

Hi all,

Let me start by saying my parents encouraged me heavily to brush my teeth and floss etc, but I never listened as a child. I remember having 10 fillings by the time I was around 9/10. It was that bad, I brushed rarely because I wasn't too bothered and didn't think I'd ever let it get this bad.

Fast forward I am now 22, I have a great job and a great girlfriend, but I never smile or show teeth in photos because of my yellow teeth with lots of silver fillings, and I have the amalgam leak so a few of my teeth look grey due to the colour of the filling.

So I decided to get every silver filling changed to composite and get enlighten teeth whitening to gain some self-confidence, as I was getting tired of smiling or laughing with my mouth shut... so it all started here.

Around 2014 I cracked a tooth in half, I hadn't been to the dentist since I was around 15, despite my mum constantly trying to take me - I just never listened or avoided it. So I went at the age of 20, and was told I needed a root canal as it was too cracked to have just a filling and had decay. I booked the appointment, paid a deposit and never went back or chased the money back despite it being fairly high. I just avoided it purposely. I then went to Vegas in March (this year) and when I was looking through photos my girlfriend took of us, I was laughing in one and realised my teeth looked horrible...

As soon as I got back, I booked in to see a local dentist who was known for dealing with anxious patients and restoring peoples smiles etc. I was very nervous, sweating when I went but she seemed really nice and told me not to worry as everything can be fixed one way or another, and said there's always someone worse and now is better than never. She told me I needed 10 fillings (changed from silver to composite) and I had a further 4 on my front teeth (small stuff and a cap I lost a long time ago).

It's now been 3 appointments, I had my root canal done first and it was that decayed we had to split it the appointments as it was too tender to touch even with anaesthetic. But that's now been done with zero pain, touch wood. Today I had 2 silver fillings changed to composite, I was due to have a 3rd but we decided an inlay would last longer (she gave me an option of a composite too but said realistically it may not last as it was the tooth in front of the wisdom and I use that to chew etc). Next time I'm having my 2 front teeth repaired and then the next two I'm changing my final fillings to composite. Finally, I'll be getting my crown (still haven't decided which colour - which may be gold due to it lasting longer etc, I could go on all day about this) and then getting my enlighten teeth whitening.

It's cost me around £1000 so far and I'm likely looking at £3500 all in as I went private but I believe having my own teeth is far more valuable to me than any monetary value. I was VERY nervous from the beginning, but I'll happily say after 3 appointments I'm no longer nervous about any work being done. I believe the key is finding a good dentist you're happy with and won't judge you.

I'm looking forward to the future, I know my situation is terrible and I've been held back by my smile too long... so now is the time I fix all of my problems! You can do it too!

I believe the key is finding a good dentist you're happy with and won't judge you.

I'm looking forward to the future, I know my situation is terrible and I've been held back by my smile too long... so now is the time I fix all of my problems! You can do it too!

SO TRUE 100% agree !

Thanks for sharing your story.!! so great!!

I believe the key is finding a good dentist you're happy with and won't judge you.

SO TRUE 100% agree !

Thanks for sharing your story.!! so great!!

For sure, there's nothing worse than having the person you rely on to give you solid advice, judging you about it.

I will definitely post some before/after pictures, they're awful at the moment but luckily I have appointments in quick succession (every week) for 2 months so they'll be fixed before I know it! Looking forward to the future :)

So it's now August, some 10 or so fillings and a crown later - I'm finito!

Now it's whitening and then I'm done! I will definitely take care of them now, but all in all, I've had a pleasant experience. Before I was worried to go and worried about what they'd say etc, now all is well and I quite enjoy going to the dentist (believe it or not!).

I have enlighten evolution 3 whitening impressions this week, then I do that for 2 weeks and my final appointment at the dentist in September and then I'm done for a long time!

I'd say do it, I'm so excited that my confidence will be perfect in less than 4 weeks, this journey started in March/April and I've had around 10 appointments lasting an hour each time, spent £3100.00 but I am nearly done!

Back