• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My long nightmare/story!

Well today (March 11th) marks 8yrs since I had my extractions/first op,really didn't think I'd be still in this situation or worse off by now. My pet also went to the vets yesterday+is not well,it really is never ending. ?

Well today (March 11th) marks 8yrs since I had my extractions/first op,really didn't think I'd be still in this situation or worse off by now. My pet also went to the vets yesterday+is not well,it really is never ending. ?

Aw Tazey , I am sorry this has been such a long, and apparently fruitless journey for you. Also sorry about your pet. I hope they recover. We lost a pet unexpectedly last month and that is so hard!

Aw Tazey , I am sorry this has been such a long, and apparently fruitless journey for you. Also sorry about your pet. I hope they recover. We lost a pet unexpectedly last month and that is so hard!
Waiting for test results,but she's still not eating. ?

Hoping things change for you soon Tazey. Sorry to hear about your pet ??

I guess I'm due a little update,last wk my pet had to be put to sleep (after 7wks of illness) ? it's been very stressful,tbh it's the last straw on top of everything else I just have even less reason to get up in the morning+do stuff she's been the only thing keeping me going these last 7yrs. On top of that the last few days the usual family members have been causing trouble again by bare faced lying which could potentially affect my appointment that's due next week,I can't keep getting my hopes up for appointments that keep getting cancelled. My doctor doesn't know what else to say other than I need to get to them+said I should be the priority,try telling my lift that.

I guess I'm due a little update,last wk my pet had to be put to sleep (after 7wks of illness) ? it's been very stressful,tbh it's the last straw on top of everything else I just have even less reason to get up in the morning+do stuff she's been the only thing keeping me going these last 7yrs. On top of that the last few days the usual family members have been causing trouble again by bare faced lying which could potentially affect my appointment that's due next week,I can't keep getting my hopes up for appointments that keep getting cancelled. My doctor doesn't know what else to say other than I need to get to them+said I should be the priority,try telling my lift that.
Oh Tazey, I am so sorry about your pet and the family drama. So sad...?

Thanks,I've had an awful cough aswell these last 5wks which is clearly down to stress,plus my mum has her operation this month it's all happening so no time for the drama can't believe people think they can lie+still say they've done nothing erong. ?

Today we were going to confront people about it but conveniently last night a certain family member ended up at a+e (again) can't have been serious as she was let out a while later so I'm thinking panic attack as opposed to diabetes. We delibrately didn't tell her my appointment date so she couldn't screw it up this time but people let slip+now she's probably panicking my lift won't be around if she needs him,people say oh but she can't help it which I find harder+harder to believe because it's all a bit convenient+she'd do anything to wreck my appointments. I guess we'll have to wait till Tuesday I'll believe it if we actually get there. ?

Just really dreading the idea of my appointments starting back up 2moro (well supposedly) as the last 3 have been cancelled+the uncertainty is still there thanks to certain people. I haven't had any dental appointments since last march so well over a year (apart from a brief talk+look at my mouth at the new place last October) I'm just not in the right frame of mind to start this all over again with everything else that's been going on. I've also got a cough at the mo (stress cough) so could make it more tricky,guess I'm just looking for encouragement.

Hi ?

Sorry to hear you are dreading your appointment and don’t feel in the right frame of mind for it atm. But I suppose I’d like to point out how well it sounds you are doing with your dental fear journey, having been so recently. You can do it and you can get through it! Just think of what a relief it will be if you do choose to go to your appointment and as such get it over and done with.

I do know what you mean though and can sympathise, having avoided the dentist for many years and then got to a place where I went every six months for a number of years again, covid lock down and restrictions causing cancellations to dentist appointments caused me a bit of a hiccup with feelings about going back as it felt so unfamiliar again. But I try to remember I could do it and I can do it again!

I'm not really doing well tho as it's taken 8years to get here+I'm not sure id call a year ago recent.,it's not really my decision weather we get there or not purely if my lift can do it+unfortunately it's not just 1 appointment there never ending. I just wish I knew for definite if we are going to get there this time.

Hi there. I understand it can be difficult as, as you say it’s an ongoing process and also dental appointments are reccuring. It may have taken eight years but you should be so proud and kind to yourself you sticking with it and getting there. I myself avoided going to the dentist for over 6 years straight and even once I went, it was through tears and IV sedation for a further few years and further treatments a few years later under GA, so you are doing well! So don’t put yourself down in the achievement.

Sorry to hear you have a lot going on, and just remember even if now isn’t the right time for you to face it or you can’t get there due to lift arrangements there still a next time to try.

I didn't exactly have a choice i need to be able to eat (not that anyone's helping with that it's just got worse not better) I've not got anywhere. To be fair tho there's never going to be a right time+I won't hear the end of it if I don't go,we've been saying next time since January unfortunately next time never comes.

I understand, I only went to the dentist after my hiatus as I was in severe pain and had an infection. Sorry to hear you feel
Things have got worse.

Well did get there,but still got the transport issues for any future appointments.

Aww how did it go? That’s a shame about the transport.

It was ok I guess but only had some 3d pix taken+not much else done so bearable this time,next time however might not be.

You can do it!!! The longest I went without seeing a dentist was about 10 years until my broken tooth was causing me a lot of pain. I was going to get it taken care of, then I couldn’t get work off, so I chickened out and waited another 5 years or so! It’s been a looooong on and off journey for me too, I know what it’s like! But I made it. Through my anxiety, nervousness, tears, I made it through, and if I could do it, you can too! I know I know, that’s SO cliche, but I honestly believe that. I spent the last 20 years fearing the dentist and just enduring all the pain on my own, but facing my fears has been so worth it in the end. It will be for you too I’m so sure! :XXLhug:

Thanks,it wasn't 8yrs without seeing one I've had appointments that whole time (apart from this last year obviously) I had a big gap from 17yrs old+didn't see one for 15yrs till I had an abssess then that's when all the problems started.

I’m sorry about that :( Everything started up for me too when I got an infection in my broken molar and my cheek started to swell so I knew I couldn’t ignore it any longer. It was an extremely stressful time, I missed an event I was training months for, and other things going on, but I just took it as it was just time to finally face my fears and take back control! I know it’s not easy, but it’ll be soooo worth it! Keep us updated on how everything goes!

Back