• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My long nightmare/story!

So had my appointment the other day first off he wasn't happy that the person who did my scan 2wks before screwed up they were supposed to do it with the stent in but didn't so now he has to guess where the implants will go (sorry but that doesn't fill me with confidence hearing that). Then he put the dentures in,the more he shows me the more disgusted I am they make me look like a freak+i would not leave the house looking like that+no amount of people saying they look fine will convince me otherwise. (of course they'll say that) how do I say there bloody awfull? He says the implants will look the same at no point was I asked about size/colour etc how can they poss be improved? Can I not see pix of what he's done before? he said before it would be zygo ones but now saying titanium he's barely gone into details. I don't have my next appointment yet but apparently it will be the health check then the next op (poss in august?). I was also surprised when he said the op would be 5hrs long :-o is that normal for full implants? This sounds like it might be the worst one yet my gut is saying don't do it but what choice do I have.

Also he said at some point after there will be needles involved :-o I honestly can't imagine being awake with one coming at me (I can just about tolorate a blood test but thats in your arm+can be kept out of sight). I'm literally living my worst knightmare with more scary things round every corner how can I poss get through this?

I
So had my appointment the other day first off he wasn't happy that the person who did my scan 2wks before screwed up they were supposed to do it with the stent in but didn't so now he has to guess where the implants will go (sorry but that doesn't fill me with confidence hearing that). Then he put the dentures in,the more he shows me the more disgusted I am they make me look like a freak+i would not leave the house looking like that+no amount of people saying they look fine will convince me otherwise. (of course they'll say that) how do I say there bloody awfull? He says the implants will look the same at no point was I asked about size/colour etc how can they poss be improved? Can I not see pix of what he's done before? he said before it would be zygo ones but now saying titanium he's barely gone into details. I don't have my next appointment yet but apparently it will be the health check then the next op (poss in august?). I was also surprised when he said the op would be 5hrs long :-o is that normal for full implants? This sounds like it might be the worst one yet my gut is saying don't do it but what choice do I have.
personally don’t think I’d be comfortable with a “guess” as to where the implants would go. Remember regardless it’s still our body and your still in control of what happens too it. You’ve been through so much already ? super bug hugs!

Thanks but its not like I have another option I can't go elsewhere+hes the only consultant there. I don't have a life but I don't want to make things worse either. :(

Tazey,

Wow. I'm so sorry, this sounds really scary and discouraging. I so wish you had another choice. I can tell you I have a friend that is supposed to get her implant surgery and the prosthodontist told her it would be near the time of yours , I'm not sure why all the time either, and she is quite scared and has put it off until she gets a peace. Really wish you could get more encouragement and answers and good news..

Thanks but its not like I have another option I can't go elsewhere+hes the only consultant there. I don't have a life but I don't want to make things worse either. :(
This so make me both sad and mad! What the heck is wrong with this picture? We are people, individuals with a life that goes beyond the dental chair. Once we leave that chair, for the them its just filled with another case and I doubt much their is any more thought on us and how we are coping/doing. Not meaning all are like this you can clearly see the care from the dentist here devoting their spare time to help us . They are make my heart swell at their obvious caring for everyone situations here ❤️❤️ I wish they are lived close enough for us to be their patients! Big hearts to each and everyone one of them here that take the time to explain and ease our minds. You guys are truly unique and special ♥️ Your story Just brings me back to my dentist, “oh you can live without a molar” yes people can I understand that but if it was put somewhere in my file the fear I have of losing them (teeth ANY teeth) maybe she’d me more sympathetic to know emotionally “some people” especially me can have a had time coping with the loss! Offer some options SOMETHING We aren’t just dollar signs in a chair we are people with individual cases with different coping abilities at least make an effort for us! So sorry to rant I’m just so frustrated and you story is just so upsetting to me you shouldn’t have to be struggling not only with the loss and fear and all you already been through but this astronomically long wait for some peace and getting your life back to some kind of normal for you. My ♥️ truly goes out to you. I hope you finally can get some satisfaction soon!! ?

I know what you mean its a joke everytime I go in there+he asks how I am,how do you honestly think I am? I get worse the longer things go on I have daily symptoms which he just seems to think the doctor can fix,she can't bring my appetite back or do much else other than offer anti depressents which I'm not going to take. I wish other things in my life were "normal" too but they haven't been in a long time.

I know what you mean its a joke everytime I go in there+he asks how I am,how do you honestly think I am? I get worse the longer things go on I have daily symptoms which he just seems to think the doctor can fix,she can't bring my appetite back or do much else other than offer anti depressents which I'm not going to take. I wish other things in my life were "normal" too but they haven't been in a long time.
I hear you, that past couple years have been horrible do me and that was before this dental episode. Beginning to wonder if I’ll ever be normal again. The anxiety has gotten better but not where I use to be ?. I think what gets me the most is they don’t even take the time to refresh themselves as to who is sitting in the chair. I am heck take 5 minutes and read my chart, what’s 5 more minutes after the 1/2 hour I just sat in you waiting room past my scheduled appointment. Mine says “ continue wearing your night guard “ I’m like what night guard no one said anything to me about a night guard let alone me continue wearing it. I truly hope you find some relief soon. Fight for it, don’t let them push you into things your not happy with, regardless of you financial situation or insurance, they still work for you!

I know right why wasn't the person doing my scan aware there should have been a stent in? she seemed to know nothing about me. I hope things get better for you aswell. Guess I won't be on here much now till august,its going to be the longest 6mths ever. :(

I know right why wasn't the person doing my scan aware there should have been a stent in? she seemed to know nothing about me. I'm in the uk I think things work a lot different over here,I hope things get better for you aswell. Guess I won't be on here much now till august,its going to be the longest 6mths ever. :(
Pop in for support, many wonderful people here to help you get through this. Your not alone ??
As for the wondering? Yea I still wonder many things but come to realize I can’t change or control the past or other people but I can’t control my future and so can you!

So on my last appointment a few wks ago we made a point in saying april is a busy month (so not an option for the op)+were told oh no there's a waiting list its not likely till at least august. Then on the phone a few days later was told it could be end of may (bit of a difference) then get a letter in the post your op is april 26th seriously? You've had 16mths since my last op I was free that whole time,so obvs needs to be changed.

So had my pre op on friday (despite still not knowing the date) just weighed me,questions oh+they sprung a blood test+ecg on me (yeah thanks for that) still don't know why? She couldn't really answer much as she's just a nurse+doesnt know much about the op. Still have a lot of questions tho so need to see the consultant before op day,still not convinced its the right thing to do but guess I have no choice.

6yrs today since my first op :( can't believe I'm still sat here+nothings changed yet.

6yrs today since my first op :( can't believe I'm still sat here+nothings changed yet.
6 years just seems like they are giving u a run around. Isn’t there anyone u can complain to about this long wait? It just seems unreal to me ?

6 years just seems like they are giving u a run around. Isn’t there anyone u can complain to about this long wait? It just seems unreal to me ?
oh yes have complained to PALS they don't really do much tho,the last consultant retired (well so they say) so got away with a lot+all they keep saying is it takes time.

Mmm well I supposedly have an op date May 17th ,great timing (not) 2wks before a family birthday.

Well I guess some things were answered a few wks ago maybe not others+despite asking to see pix none were shown. Maybe someone else could answer 1.apparently titanium are better than zygo ones? so that's why there going with them (not what I was told originally) 2. Does anyone know of a mouthwash that doesn't have sweeteners in? I'm surprised its ment to take 6ish hrs (seems a long time) plus they don't seem to agree that it should all be done in one go the consultant said something about being more risky+hes never done that before (not what you want to hear). He also said they'd look like the try ins (well that's the last thing I want) also don't like the way he said it would be a lot to get used too (having teeth) like I've never had some before its been 6yrs not my entire life. Also 3. Do you have to take antibiotics after,if so how long for?

1. Zygomatic implants are different from conventional dental implants in that they anchor in to the zygomatic bone (cheek bone) rather than the upper jaw. They may be used when the bone quality or quantity in the upper jaw is inadequate for the placement of regular dental implants. (from Wikipedia).

It sounds as if your bone quality is good enough for regular dental implants.

By the way, zygomatic implants are also made of titanium, just like regular dental implants.

2. Were you recommended to use a mouthwash after the surgery? If so, you should follow your surgeon's advice on which one to use.

The most important thing once you have your implant-supported dentures (or bridges on implants, depending on what you're getting) will be really good home care. Make sure you are shown how best to brush and floss, as meticulous home care will be essential in ensuring that the implants survive for a long time. Stay away from abrasive toothpastes, especially the ones that claim to be whitening as they're often the most abrasive.

There are different systems for replacing a whole arch, some immediate-loading, some not. You said that these won't be removable. Do you know what they actually are? Did you get any sort of paperwork which explains what has been suggested? If so, you could use this information to post in the Ask a dentist section, providing these details.

There is a page here which explains why it may take a lot of getting used to (depending on the system being proposed for your situation, the information on the page may not apply): https://www.dentistryiq.com/article...when-creating-your-dental-treatment-plan.html

3. Again, if you can supply some additional details regarding the proposed surgery, you could ask in the Ask a Dentist section!

Apparently I've always had too much bone rather than too little (even after all this time). Yes they did say to use one but they'll have to give me an alternative option+the only thing they've come up with is corsodyl. I'll stick with the toothpaste I've always used. Surely (from what I've read) the implants need to settle first (for a few months) before stage 2? The only paperwork/leaflets I've got is the basic info they give you about implants,don't have more details to tell just the date.

So p**sed off someone I'm related too has shared on fb how I'm getting full mouth implants she doesn't add my name but its so obvious to people we share who she's talking about. If I wanted my private life on social media I'd broadcast it myself but I don't share anything dental related if I want to vent I come here,its so out of order just coz she's decided to disown herself from people she thinks they won't see her comments.

Back