• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My long nightmare/story!

So Monday was my long awaited appointment (nearly 5mths after my op+felt double that) first off we were sat in the waiting area over an hour past our time,way to make us even more pissed off than we already were. Finally go in+there were several people in the room but can't say I pay attention as I tend to zone out as soon as I go in there,we said some questions or rather just updated him on how bad things have been for me lately but don't think he was paying attention as he wanted to crack on due to running late (again really not our problem his own fault). I can't tell you exactly what he did as he wasn't explaining but there was lots of unscrewing/screwing (which bloody hurt definitely some oww moments) I dont think my diazapam does much these days but even if it did it prob would have worn off by the time I was seen. Wasn't told any of that would be done was only told impressions which he finished off with,it was a long+awful appointment was still in pain+swollen lip when we left. Next appointment is feb (yes feb) I've just gone through 5mths of hell+your telling me I have another 4mths of that,I just can't do it anymore it's making me ill daily. (plus still no end date) ?

Yes at one point he tried screwing on some teeth+said I could go home like that err 1. Why would I walk around with only a top set that would just look even weirder+2. their bloody ugly (which I openly admitted) not sure why he asked me what could be changed how would I know? Think he said the colour was a2 or could be changed to b1 under the bright light I couldn't really tell the difference,what's better?

Maybe you don't know what could be changed, but could you tell them what you don't like about them? Maybe that would give them an idea of what to change. I think the fact that they are asking is a good sign, as it means that something can be done.
For example, are the teeth too big? The wrong color? Is the shape weird to you?

It may seem weird to wear only the top teeth, but would it help you figure out what to change? You said you are not leaving the house much anyway, so would it make much difference? Please understand I am not trying to sound critical...I am just trying to understand where you are coming from. I am hearing that you hate the teeth they had you try, but you don't know what to change to make them better. I know I have a horrible time asking questions or putting together a coherent thought when I am in a dental chair, so I understand that part. But could you try out the top set and come up with some things to change while you are at home?

Maybe you don't know what could be changed, but could you tell them what you don't like about them? Maybe that would give them an idea of what to change. I think the fact that they are asking is a good sign, as it means that something can be done.
For example, are the teeth too big? The wrong color? Is the shape weird to you?

It may seem weird to wear only the top teeth, but would it help you figure out what to change? You said you are not leaving the house much anyway, so would it make much difference? Please understand I am not trying to sound critical...I am just trying to understand where you are coming from. I am hearing that you hate the teeth they had you try, but you don't know what to change to make them better. I know I have a horrible time asking questions or putting together a coherent thought when I am in a dental chair, so I understand that part. But could you try out the top set and come up with some things to change while you are at home?
Everything about them I don't see how they can be improved when they are being made as cheap as possible,I may not go out much but on the odd occasion that I do I don't want to look like a freak. Don't really have that option now anyway as the appointments been+gone feb is such a long way off+they won't see me before then. Will be complaining to people higher in charge as this can't go on,not that it seems to get me anywhere.

Everything about them I don't see how they can be improved when they are being made as cheap as possible,I may not go out much but on the odd occasion that I do I don't want to look like a freak. Don't really have that option now anyway as the appointments been+gone feb is such a long way off+they won't see me before then. Will be complaining to people higher in charge as this can't go on,not that it seems to get me anywhere.

Can you just tell them what you want, or show a picture? Maybe when you go in February?
I understand the insecurity with going out. I have a flipper for my front tooth right now, and it has been made loose deliberately so that it doesn't press on my implant and bone graft. However, that means that it moves around sometimes, and it doesn't press against my gums, so there is a gap at the top that shows when I smile or laugh. If I have a small smile or don't open my mouth much, the tooth looks very natural, but as soon as I talk, it moves and I feel so self-conscious.

I can try+show a pic but they'll prob think it's not being realistic with what they have to work with (diff story if I was somewhere private).

I can try+show a pic but they'll prob think it's not being realistic with what they have to work with (diff story if I was somewhere private).

It wouldn't hurt to try...maybe they can do something to make them look better.

Seriously can't deal with the exhaustion+the boredom,sat here all day with nothing to do+no one to talk too. ?

Still feeling awful on a daily basis (never get a break) my digestion is so screwed up have a constantly empty stomach weather I eat or not this zero appetite is getting ridiculous. Also the job centre are still phoning fortnightly asking for updates+want another sick note despite the one they have (written for up till march) then he said next time he phones can I have suggestions on what I want my future to be like,is he having a laugh what future? Also I have a blood test this week which I'm not looking forward too. ?

More harassment today from the job centre asking such stupid questions like what do you do all day? (well you can't sit around on the sofa all the time) yes that's exactly what someone with fatigue/exhaustion does do not because they want too,even if I had energy there really is nothing to do. Why does he need to know my hobbies/intrests it has nothing to do with me finding a job,he acts like he's trying to help but I can't leave the house+have no way of doing courses so how can he? he's also expecting me to go for an assessment. It also causes added stress for the person whose phone I use. ?

More harassment today from the job centre asking such stupid questions like what do you do all day? (well you can't sit around on the sofa all the time) yes that's exactly what someone with fatigue/exhaustion does do not because they want too,even if I had energy there really is nothing to do. Why does he need to know my hobbies/intrests it has nothing to do with me finding a job,he acts like he's trying to help but I can't leave the house+have no way of doing courses so how can he? he's also expecting me to go for an assessment. It also causes added stress for the person whose phone I use. ?
Yes, hobbies and interests do help regular people in finding jobs and/or training for them. This guy calling you is simply doing his job. Your issue is more with the rules and regulations that he as absolutely no control on.

Are there possibly online courses you could do? Or even work you could do from home? One if my colleagues retired at summer, and makes quite a lot of money doing online surveys - he does them on his phone while he’s watching TV.

The job centre’s job is to get people into work, particularly if they are receiving benefits (not sure if you are) so the guy will be under pressure from his managers to call people, and will have targets to meet. It’s nothing personal, and I am sure they don’t mean to make you feel stressed or upset. My partner was made redundant a few years ago, and had to sign on every fortnight, even though he wasn’t entitled to any money after £52 a week for six months, so at least they are not making you go in there in person. He also had to complete a log showing all the jobs he had applied for each fortnight.

Universal credit are well known for harassing people only recently have I started getting fortnightly phone calls (since being forced to change to them). No I don't have a computer so if he even suggests that it's not an option,it's not me their stressing out as such I have to use someone else's phone so it restricts that person when they arrange a phone call meeting meaning they have to be with me when it happens only to repeat the same thing there are no changes. I have no hobbies or interests anyway so can't just pluck some out of thin air,training for anything right now is not even something I can think about with everything else going on.

It sounds like you have had such a rough time, and presumably survived devastating illness or a terrible accident for the NHS to be providing you with implants. You sound very depressed in your posts, which I hope you are getting support for. I really hope that once the surgery is complete you are able to integrate back into society, and have an amazing life - all with a dazzling new smile!

It sounds like you have had such a rough time, and presumably survived devastating illness or a terrible accident for the NHS to be providing you with implants. You sound very depressed in your posts, which I hope you are getting support for. I really hope that once the surgery is complete you are able to integrate back into society, and have an amazing life - all with a dazzling new smile!
Thanks,I'd say it's more fed up than depressed but then I wouldn't be that way if they'd just done things when they should have+technically the surgery part should all be done now,I'm realistic id be happy just to be how I was 6yrs ago

Had a last min cancellation Monday first thing not much really to update lots of unscrewing/screwing again that's about it (still uncovered),he keeps mentioning 6 more appointments+I did ask what happens after that but don't get a straight answer. So it goes on no one's bothered that it hurts my throat swallowing food whole+that I cough my way through every meal.

Saw my doctor today as she hasn't seen me since before my op+wouldn't re-write my sick note till she had,is she seriously for real she wants me to see a shrink? So had to agree so she would write it even tho there's absolutely no point,the job centre will now wonder why she's writing something completely different when the main reason for me not going out is because of the implants (that's not even mentioned). She also had the nerve to say my family should buy me a laptop for Xmas aswell ? why does everyone think it's odd if you don't have one or want one (not to mention we aren't all loaded).

It might be different, but it’s partly related. Don’t you think such an involving process going on for many years might affect some? That some might keep themself at home and cut most of their social life out?

What do you mean? She's going back way before the dental stuff started to stuff not relevant,you shouldn't be blackmailed into something just to get a sick note.

Last edited:
It sounds like emotional support might be really beneficial to you, and that the doctor is trying to help you, not punish you. You might find therapy really useful. If not, you can ditch it after a few sessions. I suspect the doctor will also have to demonstrate to the DWP that they are helping you to get back into work and not just signing you off for benefits indefinitely.

Based on how things are here, you will have a dazzling smile of new teeth and be back at work long before you get an appointment anyway!

Back