• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My long nightmare/story!

It sounds like emotional support might be really beneficial to you, and that the doctor is trying to help you, not punish you. You might find therapy really useful. If not, you can ditch it after a few sessions. I suspect the doctor will also have to demonstrate to the DWP that they are helping you to get back into work and not just signing you off for benefits indefinitely.

Based on how things are here, you will have a dazzling smile of new teeth and be back at work long before you get an appointment anyway!
She's now saying the reason I don't go out is because of a phobia I had years ago (totally not relevant now) I'm going to have to explain in a fortnight to u.c none of what she's saying is true+the only reason is the same as we've always said. Trust me work is a very long way off (dental stuff isn't the only thing that needs sorting) the speed things are going I'll still be here in 5yrs.

Did the consultant try new teeth at you appointment last Monday? When are you seeing them again?

Yes+not till feb. ?

Apparently my appointments will all be done by march,that's hilarious+then what? ?

Wow only saw my doctor a week or so ago+already have a letter for a shrink appointment (like it's some kind of urgency) I've told them the referal was not relevant or convenient but clearly she was a bit thick too saying they could do a home appointment if I don't go out (completely missing the point). It's been cancelled+certain people prob won't be happy with that but will prob change doctor anyway as she'll cause more trouble in feb/mar when the note runs out.

Wow only saw my doctor a week or so ago+already have a letter for a shrink appointment (like it's some kind of urgency) I've told them the referal was not relevant or convenient but clearly she was a bit thick too saying they could do a home appointment if I don't go out (completely missing the point). It's been cancelled+certain people prob won't be happy with that but will prob change doctor anyway as she'll cause more trouble in feb/mar when the note runs out.

It sounds like the GP is concerned and really wants to help support you. I would be wary that if you refuse to comply that they will no longer issue sick notes, and that the job centre might also think you are being awkward. Is there no way you would consider seeing the person, particularly if they would come to your home? You might find it benefits you?

It sounds like the GP is concerned and really wants to help support you. I would be wary that if you refuse to comply that they will no longer issue sick notes, and that the job centre might also think you are being awkward. Is there no way you would consider seeing the person, particularly if they would come to your home? You might find it benefits you?

I second this. If you truly feel it is not needed, can't you just play along so that you can get through your implant procedure, until you get your teeth?

I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but is there any chance the new doctor would know you skipped a referral? If yes, it might not look good in the new doctor's eye to know that you don't follow up properly on simple referral.

I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but is there any chance the new doctor would know you skipped a referral? If yes, it might not look good in the new doctor's eye to know that you don't follow up properly on simple referral.

I know that if you change to a new surgery because of eg moving house, all of your “notes” go with you for continuity of care. I very rarely go to the doctor, so don’t have a particular person I see in the surgery, but any doctor there can see my records. Here GPs work differently to dentists, more like schools, in that you can only register with a surgery within a certain distance of your home address. That might not be the case in England - I am in Scotland.

She's not likely to issue any after March anyway+the job centre have been told the real reason why I don't go out. I'm dealing with the current issues first (dental stuff) not past issues the doctors come up with so not relevant,it wouldn't matter if I saw a person there or here whilst the implants are uncovered I would rather not speak to anyone. Yes the new doctor may know that but would also see that the referal wasn't necessary in the first place,how is sorting out a past phobia anything to do with the current situation?

I think the doctors and the job centre will both be concerned about getting you fit to work, and are probably looking at a bigger picture, and how they can help you in the long term.

I think the doctors and the job centre will both be concerned about getting you fit to work, and are probably looking at a bigger picture, and how they can help you in the long term.
Yes I see that,that's why I'm focusing on each day at the moment could do with some help with the current symptoms
if anything.

My doctor has seriously lost the plot she's wrote me a threatening letter full of lies+on about a safeguarding issue wtf? Phoned the surgery to complain+even the higher up person believes her rubbish saying if I've got low bmi I must have an eating disorder+in denial (I've never had an eating disorder in my life,I want my appetite back badly) are people that thick the reason I can't eat/have lost weight is because of the dental stuff. Can't stand liars+people causing more stress.

Another new year (which makes it year number 7) another year of achieving absolutely nothing,I know that this year wont be any different. Yes there's 3 appointments in place (jan/feb/mar) but why should I put myself through them when I'm getting nothing out of it and then what happens after march? im literally screwed.

Tazey

I can imagine how tiring and discouraging all this wait and all would be.I surely hope things turn around for you this year!!

7 more wks+will be all finished,so they say. ?

7 more wks+will be all finished,so they say. ?
Were you able to reach them or is that what they said at your last visit? Hang in there, you can make it.

That's when the last appointment is (well for there) I'm not sure what I'll do after that.

So I have 3 more appointments where I currently am (at a hospital) but after march I'm not sure where that will leave me,how do I even start to find a restorative consultant? (In the South of the uk).

From what I see online, not being from the UK, restorative consultants seem to be more involved in research and teaching. You might have more chance finding one affiliated to an university with a faculty of dentistry than other NHS consultant colleagues.

Back