• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My long nightmare/story!

I sooo hear you Tazey on difficulty eating it is terribly frustrating and exhausting. and for so long, you are well overdue for your time in the chair. I wish I had any ideas or could help for the ride. but can offer my prayers and hopes somehow it can happen. :grouphug:

The restrictions are changing on a day to day basis, so hopefully things will be a bit easier soon. Does the hospital offer any sort of transport service you could tap into? I know ours has volunteers who will act as "taxis" for people who need them, although I have never used this service and it may of course not be running currently due to COVID.

My understanding is that the dental hubs are able to carry out all procedures because they have correct PPE, so perhaps the hospital is the same? (In fact I know my dental surgery has branches in England which are carrying out all procedures with correct PPE, but patients are being charged something like a £35 surcharge to cover this cost.)

I think there are many, many people who are very, very frustrated with lots, and lots of different aspects of life right now, whether that's medical issues, social/family issues, finance and worry about employment, and, of course, mental health. You are absolutely not alone, but things are definitely changing and opening up at pace.

The restrictions are changing on a day to day basis, so hopefully things will be a bit easier soon. Does the hospital offer any sort of transport service you could tap into? I know ours has volunteers who will act as "taxis" for people who need them, although I have never used this service and it may of course not be running currently due to COVID.

My understanding is that the dental hubs are able to carry out all procedures because they have correct PPE, so perhaps the hospital is the same? (In fact I know my dental surgery has branches in England which are carrying out all procedures with correct PPE, but patients are being charged something like a £35 surcharge to cover this cost.)

I think there are many, many people who are very, very frustrated with lots, and lots of different aspects of life right now, whether that's medical issues, social/family issues, finance and worry about employment, and, of course, mental health. You are absolutely not alone, but things are definitely changing and opening up at pace.
I'm in a totally different city so think they'd only do local lifts to people+not right now,it's only 10 or so days away+still can't have my usual lift because they keep mingling with other people (things may be opening up doesn't mean the virus has gone tho esp in places like hospitals). I have to accept that things won't be getting finished,so much for being done by my birthday.

So cancelled the hospital appointment due to the transport issue they have no clue when they'll be another so that's great,still desperate to get to the private place too. My eating is still a big issue but the doctor doesn't know what to say because it's obviously dental related+he can't help with that,not sure how much longer I can struggle on but while this virus is still around that's all I can do. ? Being indoors 5mths hasn't helped could do with some nice birthday surprises but not likely.

Have an appointment now at the private place in a few wks well at least that was the plan but depends on if I can get a lift as a certain family member still keeps mixing with people that have been in+out of hospital. Yes the train is an option but don't fancy being muzzled the whole journey (not good when your dizzy) plus it's not easy to get to by foot after getting off the train. As for the hospital they are useless not even returning phone calls.

So I have an appointment tomorrow (first one since march) thats proberbly the longest I've gone without an appointment in the last 7yrs. It feels like I'm starting all over again tho i know it's only a consultation+they won't be doing anything as such but what if they say it doesn't look right or something? I'm not sure I want to hear bad news. ?

So I have an appointment tomorrow (first one since march) thats proberbly the longest I've gone without an appointment in the last 7yrs. It feels like I'm starting all over again tho i know it's only a consultation+they won't be doing anything as such but what if they say it doesn't look right or something? I'm not sure I want to hear bad news. ?
Hi,
It sounds like you do not have any urgent problem that requires immediate treatment. Is that true? If so, you are in a good position. Whatever a dentist has to say, should not be taken as undeniable truth. There could be differences between dentists about diagnoses, about treatment options, severity of any clinical findings.
Another way to look at tomorrow’s appointment is a chance to see if you like the dentist who sees you. I invite you to watch a video I made just about that:

Lastly: even if the dentist has “bad news” to share, there is a proper and decent way to say them. From my experience, patient are expecting much worse news than they actually get.

Its to see weather they can finish the implants that have already been started (as I'm not getting anywhere where I am).

Hope your appointment went well today x

Yes, tazey, how did it go?

Yeah it went ok,I would like to swap to there but cost is still an issue but they said I could be done my march/April which is more than what the hospital have ever said.

Little update so had the appointment at the new/private place end of October and they are quite happy to finish my implants,they wrote too+were waiting a while to hear back from the hospital (as they wanted xrays+a bit of info first). I think its the obvious choice to now move somewhere new+hopefully get what needs to be done,they said it should take about 6 appointments+aim to finish about may. They were hoping to get 1 in before xmas but a slight misunderstanding ment they thought we were getting back to them+vice versa so now they don't have an appointment till end of jan ? 6wks may not seem a long time to most but when your sat here everyday with nothing to do 24/7 it sure as hell going to drag. I'm nervous that they still won't look right even after investing a hell of a lot of money into them there's a pressure for it to work as it's the last chance. Also the way things are (with the virus) it still means it's awkward to get there (different city but same distance as the hospital,providing there's no lockdowns) my lift is still mixing with people that they shouldn't be mixing with so that's causing an issue,normally I'd get the train but not an option. So there won't be any more updates until I officially move/start treatment (if I can get there).

Last edited:
Little update so had the appointment at the new/private place end of October and they are quite happy to finish my implants,they wrote too+were waiting a while to hear back from the hospital (as they wanted xrays+a bit of info first). I think its the obvious choice to now move somewhere new+hopefully get what needs to be done,they said it should take about 6 appointments+aim to finish about may. They were hoping to get 1 in before xmas but a slight misunderstanding ment they thought we were getting back to them+vice versa so now they don't have an appointment till end of jan ? 6wks may not seem a long time to most but when your sat here everyday with nothing to do 24/7 it sure as hell going to drag. I'm nervous that they still won't look right even after investing a hell of a lot of money into them there's a pressure for it to work as it's the last chance. Also the way things still are still means it's awkward in

I hope they can get you implants you are comfortable with. I understand not wanting to pay a lot of money and come out with something you don’t really like. I had my front tooth implant crown redone. I had a lot of people (including my husband and the oral surgeon) who kept telling me that the crown looked good, but I just didn’t like it. It looked wrong to me in pictures and seemed too small compared to the other teeth. I asked my dentist about getting it redone after covid restrictions and he agreed. So now I have one that I actually like. He did a really good job on the new one and even he was pleased and said he was glad he redid it. So keep at it until you are satisfied. If you are paying them, you should get what you want.

I hope they can get you implants you are comfortable with. I understand not wanting to pay a lot of money and come out with something you don’t really like. I had my front tooth implant crown redone. I had a lot of people (including my husband and the oral surgeon) who kept telling me that the crown looked good, but I just didn’t like it. It looked wrong to me in pictures and seemed too small compared to the other teeth. I asked my dentist about getting it redone after covid restrictions and he agreed. So now I have one that I actually like. He did a really good job on the new one and even he was pleased and said he was glad he redid it. So keep at it until you are satisfied. If you are paying them, you should get what you want.
Hi,like I've said the implants are already in so its really just a case of finishing what goes on top+being happy with that and that I'm able to eat properly of course. Also nervous because my last proper appointment was march (which was hell) just before the first lockdown then there's been a massive 10mths without one by January it is sort of like starting over again,trusting new people etc (they do seem a lot nicer tho)

Hi,like I've said the implants are already in so its really just a case of finishing what goes on top+being happy with that and that I'm able to eat properly of course. Also nervous because my last proper appointment was march (which was hell) just before the first lockdown then there's been a massive 10mths without one by January it is sort of like starting over again,trusting new people etc (they do seem a lot nicer tho)
I understand. The crowns (or implant supported dentures) are the visible part. I hope you can get something you are satisfied with. I hate starting over with a new dentist...doing it myself now as I have just moved.

I
I understand. The crowns (or implant supported dentures) are the visible part. I hope you can get something you are satisfied with. I hate starting over with a new dentist...doing it myself now as I have just moved.
I would rather have got on with it+started this month but guess there's always something getting in the way,if I'm finished (+happy) in May then it will be a friggin miracle.

I'm so down at the mo,Christmas wasn't really xmassy and I just feel things aren't going to improve. The days are really dragging it's not like I can count down to anything,anyone want to lift my mood.?

Went to my doctor on Friday (not that it ever achieves anything) think he just doesn't know what to say/do anymore. He knows most symptoms I get are all stress related+untill the dental stuff gets done what can be do? He was going back on my records seeing what my last doctor put (wish he wouldn't she was a liar) again saying have I ever had eating issues before? as I've said no its since the extractions+all this which I thought would be pretty obvious as to why get fed up with it. I don't have an eating disorder just want my appetite back+would like someone to tell me how? He also said at this next appointment will they be fitting the teeth geez slow down it's the first time at a new place+it's still going to take about 6 appointments they can't just wave a magic wand+say all done (if only). Anyway suppose I'm just having a rant as there's no one else to talk too,the boredom is insane right now.

I’m really down too. I have an appt in 4 days and the anxiety never leaves me. I work myself up so badly every day I have no relief. I have lots of work to do too, 4 or 5 appts worth. Feels very hopeless so I know where you’re at right now. I hope it gets better for us.

I’m really down too. I have an appt in 4 days and the anxiety never leaves me. I work myself up so badly every day I have no relief. I have lots of work to do too, 4 or 5 appts worth. Feels very hopeless so I know where you’re at right now. I hope it gets better for us.
Sorry to hear that too,your lucky to have an appointment I did but again thanks to lockdowns it's becoming extremely difficult. In October there was a tiny bit of hope+an end date now who knows. ? ?

Back