• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My long nightmare/story!

I’m sorry about that :( Everything started up for me too when I got an infection in my broken molar and my cheek started to swell so I knew I couldn’t ignore it any longer. It was an extremely stressful time, I missed an event I was training months for, and other things going on, but I just took it as it was just time to finally face my fears and take back control! I know it’s not easy, but it’ll be soooo worth it! Keep us updated on how everything goes!
Well supposedly 5 more appointments if I can get to them.

So finally got to the appointment last wk (by some miracle) nothing that much to say some 3d images were taken that was about it so not painful+bearable this time. Don't think I'll be saying that next time tho as I think impressions will be on the cards also he mentioned taking all the caps off,last time that happened it was pretty unbearable. We went to the reception after to make the rest of the appointments next ones not till June but then they are fortnightly after that (really not used to having so many in one go+so near to each other) wasn't thrilled tho there's 1 right on my birthday+she said oh that's a big one (whatever that's supposed to mean didn't really need to hear that). Still going to have transport issues esp the next one as that's 8:30am I'm not even up at that time let alone out+in a different city.

So potentially could be done by the end of August obviously I'm not going to believe that untill I actually see it,if it happens. I didn't think to write any questions down (what with everything else going on) but did ask what will they be made of+he said zirconia (so not acrylic like what the hospital prob used). I did ask for a treatment plan but the letter I got a few days later only really says about the next one+the one in august in short paragraphs shouldn't it be a bit more detailed?

After my appointment a few weeks ago they are supposed to be getting back on track after over a year of none,I now have 5 more in place (more than I've ever had in a row). But the next one is still a month away,what do you do in the meantime? I'm just so bored of waiting it may as well be 6mths because my days are very long+exhausting.?

Hi tazey, my heart goes to you.. waiting can be so difficult, particularly if there are not so many things to do to distract yourself. Anything particular that was helpful for waiting phases in the past?

No unfortunately the waits inbetween the hospital ones were even longer but at least life was semi normal back then we went out at weekends+away on days out. It makes me less want to do these appointments as it's the only time I get to go out+that's to have pain inflicted on me. ?

The waiting is horrible! I had to wait two weeks to undergo root canals and it was an eternity. I was a mess. I did everything I could to distract myself, but nothing seemed to help. You just have to wait, telling yourself that time will go by and you can make it.

The appointments after that are then fortnightly so going from one extreme to the other. I just wish I could fill my days up.

Yeah, life is not normal at all still. I see how that makes a difference. The good news is, that the time will pass, whether you find an activity or not, it just won't be fun. I was sorry to read the part about pain inflicted on you. That doesn't fit into the picture of modern dentistry. Hope the dentist will look after you well and make the treatment pain free this time.

Yeah, life is not normal at all still. I see how that makes a difference. The good news is, that the time will pass, whether you find an activity or not, it just won't be fun. I was sorry to read the part about pain inflicted on you. That doesn't fit into the picture of modern dentistry. Hope the dentist will look after you well and make the treatment pain free this time.
I'm not on about the virus more my messed up "family" I don't really have anyone to depend on (not that i want to depend on anyone). The letter I got back (wouldn't call it a treatment plan as such) already implies the next one won't be pleasant+the receptionist said the one on my birthday (appointment 5) will be a big one whatever that means so yahy can't wait. ?

I'm not on about the virus more my messed up "family" I don't really have anyone to depend on (not that i want to depend on anyone). The letter I got back (wouldn't call it a treatment plan as such) already implies the next one won't be pleasant+the receptionist said the one on my birthday (appointment 5) will be a big one whatever that means so yahy can't wait. ?

You are stronger than you know and you can depend on all of us here at DFC to support you!

You are stronger than you know and you can depend on all of us here at DFC to support you!
Thanks it's appreciated but I physically need people here that are reliable without that what's the point.

Fed up,its 2wks till my appointment just realized fathers day is the day before so my lift will be around certain people (people that don't wear masks or sanitize their hands) no point telling him not to be as they'll just lie about it. Also my lift wants to go the long way (which makes me car sick) not on the motorway as it will be busy at that time of the morning I'm not a morning person as it is don't need that as well,guess we shouldn't have gone for an early appointment but it's all they had. It would be a lot more reassuring if I could just get to them without any dramas. ?

So finally got to the appointment last wk (by some miracle) nothing that much to say some 3d images were taken that was about it so not painful+bearable this time. Don't think I'll be saying that next time tho as I think impressions will be on the cards also he mentioned taking all the caps off,last time that happened it was pretty unbearable. We went to the reception after to make the rest of the appointments next ones not till June but then they are fortnightly after that (really not used to having so many in one go+so near to each other) wasn't thrilled tho there's 1 right on my birthday+she said oh that's a big one (whatever that's supposed to mean didn't really need to hear that). Still going to have transport issues esp the next one as that's 8:30am I'm not even up at that time let alone out+in a different city.
Ugh, I hated having the caps taken off. They kept telling me it wouldn’t hurt but ended up having to numb me anyway. It kept pinching my gums to the point where it was bleeding. Plus, I think with my new implant the gums have grown over the healing cap on both sides so I know that one will be painful. Can you ask for numbing? Even the topical gel is better than nothing.

Fed up,its 2wks till my appointment just realized fathers day is the day before so my lift will be around certain people (people that don't wear masks or sanitize their hands) no point telling him not to be as they'll just lie about it. Also my lift wants to go the long way (which makes me car sick) not on the motorway as it will be busy at that time of the morning I'm not a morning person as it is don't need that as well,guess we shouldn't have gone for an early appointment but it's all they had. It would be a lot more reassuring if I could just get to them without any dramas. ?
That stinks, Tazey. I hope you can get there without too much drama.
Where I live, they just lifted the mask mandate and restrictions on social distancing. I hate it, because no one wears masks now and everyone acts like the pandemic is over. I get weird looks for wearing a mask although thankfully no one has made rude comments.

Yeah I'd consider topical gel (tho the old place did that once+didn't seem to work) will see what they say. I could get a train but would have to leave at like 7am+it's a lot more hassle,I think for now people should still be cautious my sister thinks being double vaxxed means invincible+even tho she is vaxxed her kid isnt (kids are spreaders) I'm not vaxxed either so people need to be honest with me about who they've been around. Don't worry if you want to wear one do,over here even if your vaxxed you still have to follow the rules.

Last edited:
So I've had tons of impressions in the past 8yrs none of which have been pleasent,but im now confused do private practices do them differently? (without all the putty stuff) it's something I'm not looking forward to next wk but maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking. ?

Some private dentists use digital impressions, some don’t (doesn’t mean that they’re not as good). I suppose it might also depend on whether they can be used in your particular situation.

Presumably, you’re paying a lot of money for this - getting answers to your questions is part of the what you’re paying for, so why not send them a quick email and ask?

I'll see them next week was just asking in the mean time,the receptionist did say something that sounded like they may be digital it's not something I'd heard of before. p.s don't do emails.

What I hope for for you tazey, is that a private dentist will do their best to accomodate your needs and take things at your pace so hopefully this will be a better experience compared to your past ones.

Back