My molar nightmare

G

GreenPug

Hello I would like to share my story and maybe get your input too!

1. THE BEFORE

I always thought I had good dental health. And for the first 32 years of my life I did not have dental phobia, it was created over the course of the last year. I also did not have anxiety before this past year. Although I did not visit the dentist enough I took good care of my teeth and up until a year ago I only had five or six cavities filled. Upon many many strong recommendations from friends and family I found a new dentist with lots of modern equipment and decided I would let them do some work, I put my trust in him. That was my biggest mistake.

It had been three years since my last dental visit and five years the one before that. So after we took an entire mouth full of x-rays and high definition pictures I was able to see that my teeth were not as healthy as I believed. Poorly done fillings, cracked old fillings, acid erosion, some minor decay. But I never had pain or sensitivity. Some things were needed, but amount of work performed may not have been necessary.

Over the first six months I had about 15 teeth worked on, half were more superficial and acid erosion type restorations. And, for the most part, I think they turned out great! Then I had about 7-8 very deep feelings, this is where my nightmare begins and was the last time I was tooth pain free.

Six months ago I had to back fillings replaced on the back to molars and my back molar on the bottom is now the tooth. You know. That tooth. That tooth that is ruining my life. This was the dental visit that created my dental phobia, gave me anxiety, mistrust of dentists, and dental pain ever since. But I will come back to that shortly.

I had a tooth I actually had minor sensitivity in, a secondary molar. However he chose to do the two teeth around it first so that there might not be complications in telling if there were pain in the future. Interesting, because he did not follow his own advice later down the road. I remember he warned me there might be a need for root canal. I honestly did not believe I needed anything more than a simple filling, and actually looking back I might not have even needed the fillings at all. I wish I had waited until they were in pain and then had it taken care of, I could have gotten many more years out of this tooth. The next appointment was THE APPOINTMENT. I remember it was right before Christmas. But there were many other teeth still after that which needed work.

So I kept coming back. At least 10 appointments, all of which I was terrified now because of THE APPOINTMENT. However I came back because I really wanted that one fixed. Which it ended up being the final tooth that he did.

He did try to accommodate my anxiety and physical needs at these appointments. He actually is the best dentist I had been to up till then. Unfortunately I have seen many many dental experts now… during these appointments I kept bringing up that molar and how it hurt. He kept saying we should give it more time…

2. THE APPOINTMENT

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi GreenPug :welcome: ,

it looks like your story is to be continued, hope it was your decision to split it and not a technical issue? Anyways, take as much time with finishing it as you need.

All the best wishes

G

GreenPug

2. THE APPOINTMENT

The day was like any other for me. I had no fears or qualms, I had just recently been in to get the first few teeth worked on and it was fine. The office is located in a stand alone building and shares space with another practice.

This was during covid, so you had to call in from the parking lot and they will then unlock the door and take your temperature. You then have to use the hand sanitizer that shoots out way too much and often got all over my shoes.

I walk inside and at least there is no waiting. They are all very nice to me since I am a newer patient. I get taken back to the dental room and they say I can take my mask off and to use the mouth wash for 30 or 60 seconds. I swear it is a different mouth wash every time. This one is very foamy and rather disgusting.

Last time I was in we had discussed doing the second molar I was concerned about. Well that concern ended up being pushed all the to the end of the list. The aid starts putting the numbing gel on the other side of my mouth with those sticks that you cant really talk with. I try to ask her which teeth we are doing. She says the back two on your bottom right 30 and 31.

After this appointment tooth 31 will never be the same.

The dentist comes in and gives me the novocaine. He pinches my cheek and is shaking it like crazy while pushing in the syringe and then pulls it out while still ejecting the liquid. He seems to do this every time and gets that disgusting liquid in my mouth that I just want to wash out. He does 3 shots like that. He gives me 5 minutes to wait and I get to sit up some and spit out the disgusting novocaine.

Then he comes back after about 10 minutes and asks if I am numb. I say somewhat numb, which was true, I have had dentists get me much more numb than this guy. He says we should do another shot since these fillings are very deep. This time he gives me another shot and same thing, disgusting novocaine in my mouth. Except this time he doesnt let me sit up; he immediately starts jamming the inhibitor mouth opener thing into my mouth. Which he completely sucks at doing and I can tell it is not in right. Then he leaves again!

Now they used this inhibitor (idk if thats the real name but what im calling it) on me last visit and it worked great, but this time it was hurting so bad. As soon as he was out of the room I start grunting to get the nurses attention and pointing at the the mouth guard thing. She has me sit up and takes it out and I can finally get that nasty taste out of my mouth. I thought I was going to go the entire appointment gagging on that taste.

Ok so she puts the inhibitor back in and is much better at it, but I can tell it is stretching my jaw too much. My jaw clicks if you open it too far and I have never had an issue with this until now. I just figure a little jaw pain is whatever, I have a high pain tolerance, just suck it up. The dentist comes back in and gets to work.

10 minutes go by and he is drilling. It was around now that I started realizing that something is bothering me in my ability to breath. I take a medication that can really block up my nasal passages and it is happening right now. Just great. So now my jaw is uncomfortable and I cant breathe right and you cant really breathe much through your mouth with the guard and all I can focus on is my breathing. Im trying to really force it through my noise and not my mouth so they can do their job and end this.

Another 15 or 20 minutes go by and he is finally done drilling and they are cleaning out the tooth and doing whatever they do. This is when the pain from having my jaw open starts getting bad. I realize it is getting more and more tight. Now all I can focus on is my jaw hurting and getting tight.

I know they have to be almost done, I have been in the chair for 45 to 50 minutes. I think I can just make it past this part and we will be good. Well we were not good. When I was in my late teens/early 20s I used to get minor convulsions. I had them so often and they were pretty minor I had gotten used to hiding most of the symptoms. Now I can tell when I am going to have one. Usually it will coincide with lack of oxygen, which I am having right now. I start getting cold, another sign of it. And then I can feel my body shaking.

Now Im just trying to keep it together so that Im not having a full on convulsion fit in the chair. I dont think I can make it. I know I can make it. No wait, im not going to make it. Just dont stop them, just dont stop them, just get this over.

The dentist turns around and the aid finally looks at me and she can just tell I am not in a good way. I start grunting and she sits me up and takes the inhibitor out and wow I am just happy I did not embarrass myself with a full on fit in the chair. She starts asking if I am ok and what is bothering me. I tell her my jaw hurts and its extending into my face, that is the best I can describe it. She asks if I want to stop and I can see the dentist is obviously annoyed at all of this. I say no if we are almost done we can keep going.

So they get the freaking torture device back in my mouth and lay me back down. I get like 5 minutes into it and now I am having pain in my back. I just want this over so bad, I want to push through this. But I cant. I just cant make it. I have to stop them again. I explain to her my back is bothering me. I drive a commercial truck for 8-10 hours a day and came to this appointment right after work. She so kindly gets me a pillow and I think we can make it.

Back in with the torture device. Back in to the iron maiden table position. I just want to cry. Im a grown man with family and work construction and I have been through facial reconstruction and I cant handle a freaking filling???

Well thankfully they are done prepping the tooth and she says we can take out the inhibitor and just use a block from here. I am so relieved. It was that damn inhibitor that whole time that was causing the pain and thus causing my convulsion fit. My jaw would ache for a week after this. All the way up the next appointment, I was having them regularly. I must have been to this place 20+ times by now and numerous other dental offices in the past year. But I digress.

At this place the dentist does the drilling and the aids will do the filling part. I dont know if that is right but thats what is happening. I didnt know a lot about dentistry at the time. It was only around then that I even realized they were working on two teeth next to eachother. Isnt that exactly what he said they should not do? Im thinking thats weird, and why is she having such a hard time getting the fillings done. I swear she cramming her whole fist into my mouth and then jumping on top of it to force the material down. Far more force than ever sas required at any of my other filling appointments.

After she is done trying to fist my mouth they begin shaping the fillings. Now I no longer have the guard in my mouth. The next thing that happens I have never had happen to me and it scared the shit out of me. He is drilling with the dremel. He takes the dremel out of my mouth and goes to switch the tip. Puts the new tip on the dremel and when he lets go it immediately falls down into my throat. O guard to stop it I am only stopping it by having my tongue pressed to the roof of my mouth. Which thank god I was already in that position.

I can immediately feel tension in the room and in my body. I have never heard of this happening and just thought it was absurd. After all of the other things going so badly, now this?!? But I stay calm. I know the more calm I remain the less chance of something bad happening is. I try to remain completely still and only breathe through my nose. He asks the nurse for tweezers.

It feels like an eternity. He starts reaching for the attachment lodged in my throat. Now I cannot even trust them to not drop things down my throat. I have read horror stories of dental procedures leaving tools in people, but I never thought it would happen to me. This appointment, THE APPOINTMENT, this would change my entire life. Anxiety, mistrust of dentists and doctors, ongoing pain, never ending treatments. It all began at this appointment. Well, anticlimactically he removes the dremel tip and we never speak of it.
We finally get done and the dentist shows me pictures of the area he removed. I barely had any tooth structure left! The amount of tooth he removed was just massive. It was a trench that spanned all the way across and through the crown. He said they were very deep fillings. I see some discolored material at the bottom of the tooth. I ask is that the nerve? He completely ignores me. I really dont like that.

Then he starts telling me about how close I was to needing a root canal and how lucky I was I came in when I did and we were able to avoid a root canal. SPOILER ALERT: We were not able avoid getting a root canal. I schedule my next appointment and get in my car to go home not knowing what comes next.

3. WHAT COMES NEXT

K

katebirch1

OMG how horrible for you- I am so sorry!!! I too have had dentists ruin my life :( I am curious to hear more.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Greenpug..

o_O:o:frantic::censored: Honestly I do not know what tosay about this experience but frightening. yikes. I'm so sorry you had to endure all that.. Most definately beyond brave to actually schedule another appt on the way out.. I'd have to have a good long talk at the very least w them after all that..

Was that device called the Isolyte? I know some dentists really think its a good thing but from an anxious pt perspective I honestly don't think I'd let that in my mouth. I may ask for a rubber dam if they could.

And the local technique sounds a bit similiar to my last dentist with the squeezing cheek and moving it while putting the needle in.. probably my least favorite method but there were times I didn't feel it so that is good. the juice from the needle though. yeah not good.

and the dropping that part. thats just :frantic::frantic::frantic:

Anyways. just scary experience. I'm so sorry again.. I really hope that something can turn around for you dentally and positives can start happening again.

G

GreenPug

3. WHAT COMES NEXT

From the moment I left THE APPOINTMENT I had this nagging pain. I had never had tooth pain like this before, and so I didnt know what to make of it. For the first week I assumed it was sensitivity from having work done. It was a very large filling after all. The tooth in front of it was just as bad though and when it began to settle and the back molar still hurt is when I started to wonder if it is worse than normal.

I had many more appointments over the next 3 months. I believe I had 13 or 14 teeth worked on. The first appointment was pre molar and a molar, both quite bad, THE APPOINTMENT was 2 on the other side. So over the next 3 months I had about 10 more teeth worked on, but to a more minor extent. I thought the worst would be over and it would only get easier from here, but I was
lucky enough for that.

After my horrible experience with the convulsions I started experiencing anxiety. It got worse over the months and with the pain in the molar constantly being there I began to fixate on my tooth pain and that would later become the main source of my anxiety.

It started as anxiety in the form of fear of having convulsions and jaw pain, as well as inability to breathe during dental work. I started taking behind the counter decongestants before my appointments, and though they keep me up at night they worked wonders on my ability to breathe. That combined with not having more convulsion episodes I thought would be enough to reduce the anxiety, but it hit me harder than I ever expected.

Beginning with the next appointment I started getting more vocal with my concerns, but looking back I was still not involved enough. I didnt ask enough questions and just blindly followed the dentists plan of work. I DID however highly voice my concern over the mouth inhibitor and the painful jaw I was experiencing. I think he was concerned I am developing TMJ and clicking in my jaw could get worse. He started using an extra small version of the device, basically made for children. This combined with being aware of how long my mouth was open and using bite blocks got rid of most of the jaw pain and thankfully never had another episode at that office.

The anxiety did not stop though. It actually worsened. I didnt know why. I tried cutting back on alcohol and caffeine, making sure I got more sleep, and tried to look for triggers. I started getting it at work and started obsessing over the tooth pain. I couldnt concentrate and had panic attacks forcing me to stop working and call my wife. Almost daily, this went on weeks.

The pain in the tooth became consistent and repeatable. Only when I ate and bit on it would it hurt, but it did not have hot and cold sensitivity. I brought it up again and again at my appointments. The first few times he brushed it off thinking it would settle, but after about 2 months and 5 more appointments he gave me this pamphlet about cracked tooth syndrome and explained somewhat how he thought it could be that.

Around this time I took to the internet and started researching relentlessly. I found this forum and read about others experiences. I read about reversible and irreversible pulpitis and thought that could be the problem. The symptoms really never seemed to match those of the cracked tooth syndrome and what annoyed me most is that he didnt really do any testing. He was completely basing this off of experience and knowledge. Which I thought he had a lot of, but I wanted to understand why it hurt.

Flash forward a month and the pain started getting worse. I went back to the dentist and pressed him on looking at the tooth. He did a test where I bite hard and let go. His recommendation was a crown on the tooth. Now before this I didnt think I was anywhere near in need of a crown. I thought he messed up the filling or something. So I decided to get a second opinion. I felt I was too young to need a crown and plus all of the people I know who have them have had troubles with them.

I sought out my old childhood dentist and drove nearly 3 hours round trip for him to look at it. I trusted him and if he said I needed the crown I would do it. After showing him the pain, which was located to one portion of the tooth he said we should do an x ray. When looking at it he thought the ledge of the tooth was sticking out too much, basically it might not be supporting the weight of the tooth and if there were a crack it would be totally reasonable to get a crown.

Well I didnt really like the answer, but I decided before I went there I would go with what he suggested. He wasnt even charging me so he had no need to lead me astray I thought. And so I made the appointment to get the crown. The pain continued to worsen every day up until the day finally came for the crown.

I was so nervous and yet so exited. I could finally put this tooth pain behind me. The technology actually was quite impressive and during the crown prep I thought things were going well. I had hope this would stop the pain and the anxiety. Oh the anxiety was getting worse with the pain. I had looked up what your teeth look like after they prep them for a crown and was actually surprised he kept more structure than I thought would need to be removed.

Originally he said we could do it in one visit, but the tooth was too short and needed to be made in a lab. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise. After fitting me with a temporary I made an appointment to come back and get the permanent in 2 weeks. I went home and waited with excitement to see if it worked. It took a few hours for the numbness to wear off and as soon as I could feel again I could tell the same pain was still there. It was exactly the same! How could this be possible? I thought if they removed that ledge portion of the tooth it couldnt be possible to hurt in exactly the same way. I thought it would at least hurt in a different way. There was no doubt in my mind, and I knew immediately. If I put a permanent crown on this tooth nothing will be different.

I think my wife could tell I was in serious duress at this point. I wasnt talking much, I wasnt pursuing my hobbies, and I was eating like normal. Turns out the temporary crown was too high. I was going to have to make a Saturday emergency appointment to get it shaved down. This I thought would be a quick thing, I had been in out for bite adjustments before. Well this would turn out to be the beginning of another chapter in my molar nightmare.

4. MY MOLAR NIGHTMARE