• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My (Neverending) Journey

K

kemmie777

Well.. I have decided to start this online journal in order to record all my feelings, fears, frustrations, successes and thoughts surrounding my this recent long and frightening period in my life. I think it will be good for me to have this outlet to help me get through all this and continue to persevere and be brave. Knowing someone somewhere will read this and can say "Me too." makes everything a bit more bearable..and not so lonely.

I guess I should start at the beginning. I have already posted in the forum about this so below is a bit of background taken from my earlier posts.:

The past four months have probably been the most frustrating and anxioty ridden months in my life. I have never liked going to the dentist since I was a little girl. I once ran into a major roadway just to get away from the dentist..that's how scared I was. In addition, my parents weren't very good at scheduling reg dental check-ups so the only times I went to the dentist was if something was wrong. My first memory is having a baby tooth pulled because it just wouldn't fall out. As a teenager, I had to get a few fillings and one root canal that did not go as smoothly as everyone hoped. (The first part was finished and I was scheduled for the completion two weeks later, but I guess not all the nerve was removed or flared up-worse pain I have ever experienced-and needed an emergency appointment) That tooth (last molar on the upper left side )ended up being removed because it slowly broke apart and there was not enough tooth left for a crown.

I also had braces as a teenager (16-17 years old). I guess the experience was routine as far as braces go. I wanted the clear kind but the orthodontist said I couldn't get them because my teeth were crooked in a certain way which which would cause the brackets to be constantly breaking. I would have still have problems with the metal ones according to him. Good news, no teeth needed to extracted and also I was blessed with not having wisdom teeth at all. I did have one very bad experience with the orthodontist though. He was replacing the bottom wire and while he was tightening aroung one of the brackets, the bracket snapped off. I though my tooth broke in half. However, instead of snipping the new wire off and glueing the new bracket on the tooth and then putting on a new wire (5 minutes of work) he decided to shove the bracket between the wire and the tooth by pulling the wire, still attached to my teeth, forward and keeping my head back. My nail marks are probably still in that chair. After that, I don't think I talked to him for the remainder of my treatment. I just talked to the receptionist. I also had to get a frenectomy (sp?) becuase of space between my two front teeth as recommended by the ortho. The oral surgeon was very old. I had the choice of being awake or under sedation. I remember not wanting the sedation and crying a bit becuase I though I wouldn't wake up. I had never had any type of surgery before. The surgeon did ask what my fear was and I told him straight out. The dentist reassured me that it would okay (he hadn't lost anyone in 40 years so it was unlikely I would be the first) and it would be less tramatic for me since he would be working my two front teeth with a bit of tugging and blood. It was in my best interest. I went for the sedation. It was pleasant...actually the best rest I have probably ever had. They gave me the gas and then the IV but had trouble finding a vein. I remember the dental assistant (very cute young guy) trying in one arm and hand and then moving to the next and apologizing to me. Then I was out for the next 25 minutes. I remember being woken up and talked to by the nurse saying everything was done and were were walking to a recovery room (dark room with a doctor's table in it) until I was less dizzy and more awake. No more gap in my front teeth.

The next incident was when I had a horrible toothache and needed an emergency appointment several years later with a different dentist. No one wanted to see me. I had started my current job and picket out the dentist for my insurance plan but that office said that they were not part of the plan even though they were listed. No other dentist could see me under my insurance becuase I wasn't on their patient list under that insurance and I needed to wait a month for it to be updated. My current dentist was the only exception. I was scared but everything went okay. I needed a root canal and after a check up found that I had a few cavitities and needed another root canal. After all this work I thought I found myself in a good space with my fears. Everything had gone well and painless.

Jump 5 years later and one of the teeth that had a root canal and crown completed has been bothering me (achyness and sensitivity to heat and feels like it's enlarged) I went to the dentist immediately (I hadn't gone for about two years because it was too easy to forget to make an appointment along with some residual anxiety. ) Dentist doesn't believe it's the treated tooth but from a cavity from the adjacent tooth. She fills it and she also replaces the filling from the tooth on the other side because it was very old (15 years). Well, my tooth still ached and was sensitive to heat plus now it hurt to bite down on food. I went back and she adjusted the bite.No help. I was then referred to an Endodontist. It appears that the filling that was replaced was huge and I needed a root canal in that tooth. That was done and there was some mild discomfort for a week. However, the original tooth I had gone in with complaning still hurts in the same way. I now have an appointment with the Endo again this week. Both my dentist and Endo said that it couldn't be that tooth because the Xray looks good and the root canal was 5 years ago and there have been no problems. This has all been going on since May. My dentist is busy and has limited office hours and there were several appointments that she cancelled because of other commitments she had. I scared to death about what they will find and what will happen. I also just found a cavity near the gum line of a different tooth (the last molar on the bottom left side -no tooth above it b/c it had been extracted). I called to make an appointment but have to wait two weeks. For me it's not just easier to wait for an appointment that may happen in two weeks. While I am happy with the dentist, she has a tendency to cancel my appointments. I have to push for an emergency appointment, which they discourage. Last time I had a toothache, her office cancelled two times in a row, so i was living with a toothache and surviving on pain meds for a month. (First appointment June 6th, 2nd appointment July 5th- (as an emergency-becuase I couldn't take it anymore and became hysterical) I don't think I should have to get to the point of being hysterical from pain and delay before being "fit in" especially if I call and make an appointment when the problem appears.

Continued....

Re: My (Neverending) Journey  (comments & PMs wel

For me it's not just easier to wait for an appointment that may happen in two weeks. While I am happy with the dentist, she has a tendency to cancel my appointments. I have to push for an emergency appointment, which they discourage. Last time I had a toothache, her office cancelled two times in a row, so i was living with a toothache and surviving on pain meds for a month. (First appointment June 6th, 2nd appointment July 5th- (as an emergency-becuase I couldn't take it anymore and became hysterical) I don't think I should have to get to the point of being hysterical from pain and delay before being "fit in" especially if I call and make an appointment when the problem appears.

I wish the circumstances were different. I wish the experience I had with her when I began to go to her would repeat now. While I trust the quality of her work and her personality, I don't know if I can count on her to even be able to see me in order to treat me. The last few months have been hard and I feel like I have to battle just to be seen.

I understand that dentists are busy and many people need to see them for various reasons but at a certain point it becomes insulting when you're in pain and they say "so we can see you in three weeks." I can be patient but I am not willing to extend my pain beyond a certain point. I have had four months of contiuening pain on that side of my mouth. I'm scared as it is. My other dental issues haven't even been resolved yet and now I have one more. i won't be able to make another four months because of scheduling issues. I'm tired of taking pills. I'm tired of not being able to eat. I haven't had a decent meal for this whole time (hot foods hurt, chewing hurt at one point, b/c of temp filling in the latest root canal need to avoid non-soft food or chewing on that side completely, except for soup because it's hot and made me cry the last time I had it because of the pain). Sometimes I'll stay home all day on my days off just because I don't want to deal with the pain in public and not enjoy myself. i go to work and bear it and then go home maybe stopping for an errand if it needs to be done. I have lost my joy-laughing sometimes hurt. I don't sleep well becuase I worry about what will happen or when it will happen. Last night I had a nightmare about this new tooth.

This experience has left me feeling defeated, depressed and like it will never end becuase there doesn't seem to be any real progress-just more things adding up that are going wrong. I still have to deal with the Endodontist for the 5 year old root canal that has been acting up since May and everyone is finding it hard to acknowledge that that tooth can be hurting because it has a completed root canal and crown and all my insticts are saying that it's that tooth. I have two weeks off from my job and have all the time in the world to go to the dentist if only they would take me. I'm not even going away anywhere because I'm afraid the teeth will get worse. I am at the point where I would pay all fees out of pocket to have my life back to normal and not have my focus consumed by all this anymore.

I know others have worse off cases/situations. Some may even consider my situation minor. I just heard from my friend that someone she knows has to get ALL her teeth extracted and replaced with dentures becuase of damage that was done due to the person's drug problem. I completely feel for her, even though I don't know her. If feel bad for anyone going through these issues and I wish for all to have a speedy and trama free resolution and recovery. It's not a fun place to be no matter how much or little the acutal damage is. Fear of not knowing what's wrong, fear of what could be wrong or what may need to be done, makes the smallest thing into the worse monster that exists for that one person going through it.

I guess you can say I am in a place where I am past my fear stopping me from acting becuase I am more tired of everything and willing to do whatever I need to do to make it better;for it to be over. And I guess this makes me lucky. However, I don't know how long I can keep up my courage and determination to proceed. I want to do the right thing for myself but there is always some obstacle preventing me. I want to not put this off any longer and risk greater pain and problems that would be much scarier because I waited. I want to stop crying.

August 14, 2006:

I have made an appointment with the dentist my co-worker recommended to look at the new tooth. It is tomorrow early afternoon. I had called on Saturday just to see what their office hours were from their answering machine (I didn't expect someone to be there and pick up.). I explained the situation and they found time for me. I'm relieved that at least this tooth will be taken care of soon because I know I wouldn't have been able deal with this for another two weeks. But I'm still very scared. I also plan to tell this to the dentist as well even if it makes me cry. I think I have cried for an hour everyday from the stress of it all. Better he should know what he's dealing with right? I am afraid of the outcome and possible resulting pain. I asked one of my friends if they could go with me but no one seems to be able to make time. And then it's off to the Endodontist (he already knows I'm sacred to death, but I'll still remind him ) on Thursday for the other (original ) problem tooth provided everything goes okay tomorrow and the dentist says it's okay depending on the treatment.

August 15, 2006

Well, it's over with and i am so relieved. I told the receptionist and the dental assistant that I was terrified and they listened to my story. When the dentist came in I repeated it and started crying. They were all really gentle and reassuring. All the equipement is up to date. All the x-rays are digital and you can see them on the computer. The dentist took some digital images and xrays of my entire mouth and explained how I got the cavity by the gum line (too much sugar in my coffee-my only vice). He went into the details (like a mini dental class). he said alot of teenagers tend to get these type of cavities. He took all the time I needed and answered every question that I had and listened really well. He said he could fix it with a regular filling and while it was big it was caught in time becuase the edges and surrounding area were not soft. He made sure I was numb enough before starting the filling. He didn't have the Wand but I've never really been afraid of the actual needle. I just make sure I close my eyes and I take a deep breath just as they're sticking me and exhale slowly. It distracts me. We even talked about the old root canal that I has been bothering me and he believes me that it could very well be that tooth (not some nearby tooth) that is hurting! We talked about the different treatments that they have for failed root canals. He didn't even charge me the full price of treatment. He even has mini TV monitors at each station so you can watch TV- I got to watch/listen to my favorite Soap show. I think he is going to be my new dentist. i am so glad I got this taken care of now and did not wait two weeks.

Now I just have to go to the Endodontist on Thursday for my root canal tooth. I'm nervous but not completely terrified. As the day get closer I will become more anxious. Thursday I'll be a nervous wreck. Hopefully this will all be over soon so I can get back to my life and eat a normal meal again.

Thank you for all of your support over the past few days. I totally appreciate it. At least I know I'm not alone and know there's nothing wrong with me and the way I'm feeling.

I'll let everyone know how the Endo goes.

So I went to the Endodontist last Thursday. I would have posted sooner but I have been a bit depressed about the whole situation. He performed a series of tests but couldn't tell me what's wrong and more importantly the solution. I basically got the response to give it a couple of more weeks until it progresses further. Every one that I have seen about this tells me the same thing. So, I'm back to where I started since May. How long do they expect this to take? Months..years? Is this how it's gonna be for the rest of my life? I have no idea what they're waiting for to happen. I don't what it to hurt anymore than it already does. I don't want it to get to that point, so I force myself to go to these appointments and seek out treatment becuase the idea of greater pain scares me more than the dentist himself. I have run out of ideas. Now my family is starting to get mad at me. They don't understand that my tooth hurts and that I am going to the dentists, getting it checked out and trying to get it fixed. They just yell at me that it's my fault and that since the tooth already had a root canal it can't possibly be hurting, as if I were lying about it. I just don't know what to do anymore. I was so ready on Thursday to find out what was wrong and accept whatever treatment prescribed as long as it would make my mouth feel better. I just don't know what to do at this point.

Well, last night I got barely any sleep becuase my mind could not just stop thinking about all this and I was upset. I don't like this wait and see business. I understand that it's normal and a conservative approach becuase the Endo doesn't want to do something to the wrong tooth but I have been waiting a long time now. :redface: And all I want is my mom's chicken soup for comfort but hot food kills me right now.

I called another Endo this morning...possibly for a another opinion. Mostly I just wanted to see what their consult fee was ($120). He has a website and does microscopic endodontistry. Maybe that would benfit me since he looking at a digital xray and using a camera tour my mouth. He's in my insurance plan so that's bit of relief as long as the insurance company doesn't get dumb on me. I'm just not too thrilled with the idea of someone else in my mouth testing to see which tooth is causing me pain, even though I only feel discomfort in the one tooth...trying to recreate the pain.

I still have my appointment with my old dentist (she's still my primary through September) for Monday. I do need a crown put on my most recent root canal but with this issue still unresolved in this area I don't know if that's a good idea just yet. She was hesitant to do a cleaning becuase she doesn't want to disturb that area and make things worse. Something to discuss with her I guess about the crown. I can wait on check up till October when I'm assigned to my new dentist I found. Also I'll mention about getting another referral for a 2nd opinion. Depends on how the next few days progress.

There are times when I feel as if I'm the only one doing work on this to get it solved. I'm the only one concerned about it aside from a few friends and those on this board. I shouldn't surf the internet anymore because whatever I find scares me. I immediately see the worse case senario and think "OH MY GOD...NO!" I'm scared that I might end up that case. Rationally, I know I'm probably not in that bad of shape from reading and hearing other's experiences. But i'm still scared. I know that whatever treatment finally does end up happenning to fix me will be a relief in the long run but I'm not sure if I can handle the pain and recovery time well. I go through moods where I'm totally okay with whatever happens and take a very clinical approach to all of it. This is the plan so let's do it. But then I remember these teeth are attached to my mouth and I get scared and cry.

This is hard.

I forgot to mention. I'm writing down my symptons as they occur so that I can just hand a copy to the Endo or dentist when they ask. It'll help me be able to explain exactly what is going on and maybe help them figure out what it is if they have it in front of them in black and white.

sorry to hear your having such a hard time, hope everything sorts itself out soon. :hug2:

It's bound to be getting you down :shame:and you shouldn't have to put up with the pain.

Wish i could wave a magic wand and make it go away. :XXLhug:

good luck

Welcome to the world of dental woes! :sick: I have lived a life time in the 'chair' and after 61 yrs still have all of my teeth due to top notch dental plans. I, too, am always concerned about the pain of recovery. So far only one procedure has caused me any problems. An already crowned tooth needed surgery on a molar that had bacteria into the bone. The procedure took place through the gum and I was not aware of a thing since I was out, but my recovery was so painful that I will opt OUT if it is ever mentioned to me again. I spent well over 3500.00 and now 6yrs. later I have trouble with the same tooth. This time I was told it had to be pulled. So, now some more money for bridge work, but, at least with dental insurance we have help, and if it needs to be done, then what can I do? Believe you me, I am not looking forward to this either! To make my problem worse I have tmj and am so traumatized after any kind of 'special' work that I am out of commission for several days. Those who have never had any substantial dental work have no idea as to what we go through. You are right in stating that you have no choice, that is if you want to keep your teeth for as long as possible. Case in point: My 45 year old friend didn't seek help when she should have due to circumstances and now has no teeth from her molars back, top and bottom!!! Seek out all you can about your tooth by means of the internet, another dds opinion, or whatever it takes. :thumbsup: I am hoping all the best for you!!

It sounds like you've had your share of dental problems along with pain :scared: !!! Hopefully, after a time things will settle down for you. It seems like we go through periods in our lives where we need alot of repairs on our teeth and then we are good for along while.
I think in your case, as in mine, that you need a good dependable dentist, AND good hygenist. One of the keys for a smoother life with our teeth is REGULAR check ups. You really do need to have your teeth cleaned with a check up every year without fail. Usually a good dental staff can spot trouble before it gets out of hand saving you and your pocket book alot of pain.
My heart truly goes out to you since I, too , have been in the dds chair since I was five, I am now 61 and am still maintaining my teeth :)

Sigh... I just had a conversation with my father that was rather unpleasant. I mentioned that I had possible found another Endo for a second opinion that uses more advanced technology. My dad started to yell at me because my tooth still hurts. He started cursing and saying my dentist in incompetent because a root canal shouldn't hurt years later and he kept going on about when I had a root canal when I was a teenager and how he should have given her (another dentist) hell at that time and i should curse out and cause rip into the dentist and Endo now..etc ect. Well, his yelling made be feel worse than I already do. I tried to explain through tears that I'm doing everything I can and I don't want the tooth to be in pain but what more can I do? and why is he yelling and blaming me. He screamed he wasn't yelling at me in the loudest voice he has. He knows how scared and miserable I am and how his reaction makes me even more upset, worried and scared. So now I feel like giving up. Well, tomorrow will be another day and maybe a better one.

Hi Kemmie...Boy can I relate. My father is the same way. If he is yelling and you say don't yell, he will say I am not yelling, in an even louder voice. Please do not be to upset with him, I am sure it is upsetting to know that his child is in pain and he is reacting to that knowledge. I know it is easier said than done, not to let him upset you, but try seeing it from his view. His child is in pain and there is nothing he can do to ease the pain. Personally, I try not to let my parent know alot about the dental pain and problems I am dealing with right now. That way I do not upset them and they do not upset me. Thankfully I have this site to vent my frustration regarding the pain and problems with my teeth. Hopefully things will be sorted out for you real soon- :thumbsup:

I am at a stand still. I want to make an appointment for the Endodontist again but I don't know if I should go the same one who has been seeing me or the new one. The new one is a microscopic endodontist. I'm not sure what the difference is and how it would be better or not. Today, the discomfort was so bad. But my general dentist's office is closed so I can't get a referral to the new guy. Plus, I'm scared to find out what is wrong and I think that's making me hesitate. It's been such a long three months and I want this over with but I don't want to hear the news. I don't know what I would do if was bad...really bad. Or how I would be able to get myself together to make arrangements to take care of it. I don't know what I would do if they still said they didn't know what to do. :cry:

And I am so incredibly angry. Why me? Why like this? I thought this would be over by now. I thought it they would tell me what's wrong and how to fix it back in June/July. I would have been better equiped emotionally to handle it. Don't they realize that it's not just a tooth but that a person is attached to that tooth who has to deal with all of it during all this waiting? They can't treat it like they were fixing a broken chair or something. I tried to keep busy today and my mind off of it but it never really worked. With every pang, I was reminded and more terrified. I mean if these two professionals can't figure it out, it can't be good right? I know it is what it is and that won't change. I want it to be over but at the same time i don't want to know either.

I don't know what to do. i can't make a decision or think straight. I just wanted one day, one day, to relax and calmly think about all of this. I start to form a plan and then second guess myself because I'm unsure if it's the best possible decision. I'm frightened :scared:. I'm soo confused. I'm stuck. :shame:

Well, I woke up this morning and called the new endo's office and made an appointment. I felt nauseous while doing it. They can see me on Wednesday morning. They could actually see me sooner but I just can't get that much time from work so soon after my vacation. It's father and son practice and I'll be seeing the son who has the more advanced trained but I suppose the father has seen a lot of cases in his time. I still don't know if it's the right decision and the waiting will be hard. At least this gives me time to get a referral. I really wanted to get this all done while I had this time off.

Kimmie, I think you are doing the right thing about the endo. appointment. Is this the microscopic endo? Let us all know what he says. I am glad that you are going since my concerned was long term infection which can wear you down. Perhaps you should pump up the nutrients in some way at this time by eating right, taking vitamins, and drinking plenty of water. just for starters. I would be crazy to tell you to get plenty of rest since this sort of pain keeps you up or at the least restless as to sleep, and you possibly are sleeping in a sitting, or reclining position (helps me). Relaxing is hard to do as every muscle tenses when you have chronic pain and it can cause the anxiety, mental anguish, and depression that you are probably feeling at this time. Clearly, this is the only thing for you to do , seeing the new Dr. Just think of it this way, how much worse can it get? How long can you live like this? AND could it get worse? You need attention and Wed will be none too soon, I am sure!! ;)

We are all pulling for you,
Jay

What happens to a calcified tooth over time?

Jay :rolleyes:i

I have no idea what happens to a calcified tooth over time.

So, I went to my general dentist today. I sat there for about 1 hour before I got to see her. A little annoying but oh well. I wasn't so anxious this time. Maybe becuase I knew she wasn't really going to do anything and this would be just a conversation and I would get a referral for the Endo I'm seeing on Thursday. Most likely I was okay becuase this weekend was emotionally devasting for me due to finding out bad news and my mind was preoccupied with that. It's pretty much been consumed by that event and I think my brain won't let me dwell on the dental fears because it would just explode at that point. My tooth also has seemed to calm down quite a bit from over the weekend. Self preservation I guess. Not much is registering with me lately and I'm just trying to get through the day the best way I can on autopilot. What do they call that? Functional but not well I think. Well, we'll see what happens on Wednesday.

Good luck for Wednesday, having recently come through a dental ordeal myself, im thinking of you. i got my :thumbsup: for you.

Skimps x

:thumbsup:KIMMEE:
This is good that you are going to be able to see another endo. dds.
One thing I have found is that when I cry or get real upset my tooth hurts. I have to keep it calm.  I have found some alternative things that have helped me but I am reluctant to mention them on this website since I don't want to give anyone false hopes. What works for one may not work for another. I studying all of the time ways to preserve my teeth or at least build my immune system up until I can see a dds.
Be courageous and do everything you can to hold on until the time (tommorrow) that you will get relief!!!!

We are still pulling for you, (no pun inteneded!!)
Jay

Well, my appointment with the second Endo is done. It was just a consult so I didn't expect anything to be done to me so my nerves were in check and I was preoccuppied with another non-dental unpleasant issue to really think about being at the dentist. This new guy was nice and very thorough. He believes that the tooth I say is hurting is the one that is actually hurting. He did a bunch of digital x-rays (something the other endo couldn't do-only set up for reg xrays) and he poked and prodded and pushed and did the ice and heat thing. Nothing substantial showed up on the images for him to be able to say what is going on. And the tests didn't elicit any responses. He said there was a chance I might have an infection but it's either so small or , for better or worse, my immune system is really good that it's keeping the infection very very low grade or maybe the tooth has a second cannal that the general dentist didn't see way back when and once again my immune system maybe very good in fighting. The root canal looks good. It may have not been done as deep at it could have been according to one image but another view shows that it a little farther. He's gonna call my dentist to ask about the notes from when she originally did the RC. Either way he doesn't see anything definative. He gave me the option of either redoing the root canal or a apico, which he can do in the office. He advised if I was to do anything, the best option is the apico since I wouldn't have to replace the post and crown and the surgury is more difinative. That's what he said he would do but at this time it's my choice how frustrated I am but it's not life threatening or does not need immediate attention. So I'm going to think about it for a little while and decide what to do. He also said that my teeth look to be in really good shape.

I like this new Endo. He answered all of my questions and was very very knowledgeable and honest. He also spent ALOT of time looking at my teeth and the images and did some tests that the other Endo didn't do. The appointment lasted about an hour. While in the lobby, I noticed a bunch of plaques and honors both him and is father have received. Apparently, this guy was recongnized as one the best dentists/Endo in his field. If I need anything done, this is the guy I am going to go to.

All in all, I feel better that I did get another opinion and that I chose this guy. Even though I didn't get an answer, at least I got more info and a sense of working towards something. I have options at this point.

Kemmie,
I have had many dentists tell me over the years that they couldn't see anything wrong form x-ray. Finally, one day, a dental assistant told me that some people's sinuses drain into their teeth but some dds won't admit it. I started taking over the counter sinus medication and my problem has let up. I never thought I had that much problem with sinuses since I didn't have post nasal drip, but I do get headaches at times and feel pressure in my face, especially eye brows. I take the non-drowsy cold and sinus Aleve and it does the job. Now I don't run to the dds everytime I get a bit of a toothache since the medication drys it up. It would be worth a try since your dds couldn't see anything. ???? ;)

Glad you have good news,
Jay

So, It's been a while since I last posted. The division of the company that i work for was acquired by another company in October. With this came new insurance coverage. Luckily, the dental insurance offered the same carrier that I have had. I just had to wait for the new card and the registration of my new dentist to take effect.

I called last week to make an appointment for a checkup, possible cleaning and to discuss my bothersome tooth and a crown for another tooth that recently had a root canal. They had something available the next day. I took the appointment and then five minutes later canceled it and rebooked for the following week. I wasn't prepared to get space that fast because of my experience over the summer with my last dentist. I'm used to waiting forever and then having it canceled by the office and rescheduled of a day weeks later. I needed time to psych myself up and prepare mentally for the dentist.

So I went on Wednesday. I was extremely nervous. However, this time I wasn't crying. For most of it, I spaced out and watched TV while he went over stuff to put in my chart. We took some Xrays (digital) and he started a chart, basically marking down all the fillings and stuff that I currently have in my mouth. He checked my gums which are not in the best of shape in some spots. Not horrible but could be better around a couple of teeth. Got the speach about flossing everyday. I wasn't shocked by this news. My gums have always been an issue ever since I was really young. And the fact that I hadn't had a professional cleaning in about 2.5 years hasn't helped. My gums used to be really bad...bleeding when I brushed and everything or during the dentist's cleaning. They don't do that now. I have a good electric toothbrush, mouth rinse and floss more. In certain spots they may bleed when I floss once every few weeks. FLossing has never been my best habit. I'm slowly becoming more comfortable with it, found a floss that works for me, and as I physically become more comfortable with the mechanics of flossing, I floss more. So progress in that area is being made. The dentist said that beginning next year he will have some type of laser treatment for gums in the office and we can discuss that at a later date if needed.

I have no cavities. He would like to see two very old (silver) fillings replaced because they are old and are beginning to look like it. I'm gonna hold off on that for now because I only have one side of my mouth that doesn't hurt and I don't want to risk possible root canals on them until I know my problem tooth is resolved.

We talked about my problem tooth...the one no one knows what's wrong with that has been hurting my since May. My new dentist thinks it's the gums aroung the tooth that are the issue. He listened to my symptoms and with the fact that the gum area aroung that tooth is not that great, it could be a very real possibility.

i got a cleaning too. I didn't know that I was getting a cleaning while it was happenning. My old dentist was very old school about cleanings...the little scraper/hook thing and buffer and stuff. Now always hated cleanings. They always hurt since I could remember. My new guy uses a different instrument. There was water...alot of water and beeping. I though he was checking for cavities with that new laser thing I've heard about but then I thought why do they need so much water and the assistant with the suction thing? The cleaning didn't hurt at all. Don't get me wrong, I was tense and there was alot of noise and of course the water. At times it was a little uncomfortable becuase i had to open my mouth wide and stuff but no pain. Now my teeth are white..super white lol.

Surprisingly and pleasantly, my bothersome tooth hasn't been bothering me since Wednesday. It feels just like my other teeth. Before I would be constantly in discomfort to some degree and very aware that this tooth existed. Food would get stuck up by the gum and irritate the heck out of the tooth until I flossed it out. It would just feel out of place...like it didn't fit. Now, it is practically pain free. I haven't tested the heat sensitivity factor which started all of this but the tooth feels like the rest of my mouth. After almost 6 months of discomfort and tears, I've felt relief. Relief from the pain, the constantly thinking about the tooth and not knowing what is going on and feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere close to finding out to fix it. I think this dentist finally has figured it out and has a sound game plan on how to fix it.

I go back in this Wednesday to prep my other tooth for a post and crown. He's gonna try to design the crown to help prevent food from getting stuck up in the other tooth (the problem one) that is next to it. It could have been started during checkup appointment to save me a trip but i opted for the next appointment because I pretty much had enough dentist for that day and was exhausted just from the cleaning and stuff. He joked and said he wouldn't want to stay at the dentist any longer than he had to either.

The office staff is nice and friendly. The best and most reassurring thing about the dentist and staff is that when we were talking about my tooth and gums, he said, "Whatever you need done, we'll be more than happy to help you get though it and help make it better."

I'm nervous still and i will probably always be nervous about going to the dentist. I just hope everything continues to go well.

Back