• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My (Neverending) Journey

Re: My (Neverending) Journey  (comments & PMs wel

Congratulations Kemmie :jump: :jump:
So it was a problem with your gum...you would have thought that could have been spotted a bit sooner...poor you....you really had a hardtime of it, I remember.

Sounds like you've found a good dentist now. The cleaning was probably with an 'ultrasonic scaler' rather than the scraper thing.
I think the recent consensus on here has been that either method can be comfortable...it depends who is using them and how gentle they are.....I have personally found this to be the case....and last time I went both were used comfortably.

Nice to get some good news on here...I'm sure you will find that your fears lessen with time.

Kemmie, You need to go as soon as you can, hopefully to the one that you have mad your appointment with since it takes so long to get an appointment with a new dentist of any kind. You NEED to have this taken care of, the longer you wait the worse it will become and the more money you will have to spend (been there done that)
ALSO, a little tip about your inflammation; take an ANTI-INFLAMMATORY such as Naproxan aka Aleve .
Your emotions are overcoming you. You are going to have to get a grip and face what you need to have done before this problem completely over takes your life. You are in power here, take charge and take charge now!!! The pain that you will suffer in dentiist chair will be temporary, but the pain that you are enduring will NOT go away until you handle this!!!

Kemmie
I'm confused by Jayharris' last post...are you?

Yes, Brit. I am very confused.

Jay- Please re-read my post. I have gone to the new dentist. Last Wednesday in fact. He's the one who's figured out what is probably going on and we are taking steps to correct it. This was why I was so happy in my post. I have an answer and i don't have the same scheduling problems that I faced with my previous dentist.

I have a very good grip on my emotions. You paint me as unstable which is very unappreciated. I HAVE actively been pursuing this issue.

So. I went the appointment yesterday for to put in the post and prep for the crown. Boy was I there long..1 hour and 45 minutes. For the most part is was painless. It was more tiring than anything else. They were pretty good with me. The impressions were even that bad. They had this little instrument that pretty much isolates the tooth so that they don't have to stick a huge tray in my mouth. The material was also much different than what I recall from the last time. This stuff was blue and shiney and it didn't harden in such a way that it felt as if a few teeth might come out with it. It actually had a pleasant taste and was very easy to remove.

The only uncomfortable part was during the crown prep. The dentist had to use a laser to reshape my gum to allow a better impression and fit for the crown. I forgot what it was called but everyone had to wear goggles. It was a little painful because of the heat but quick. My gum is pretty sore and raw. You can't see anything different if you were to look at it because of the temp crown. Other than this soreness in the gum and my mouth (because of it being stretched for so long) I'm fine. The gum will heal in a few days. It feels better a the day goes along. The salt water rinse really hasn't done much for me nor has Advil or Motrin.

It'll feel weird once I start chewing on that side because I haven't had a full tooth there for months since the RCT. But I hope this the worst of it. He shaped the crown and gum so that food is less likely to get stuck up in the tooth next to it (the mystery problem that has been solved hopefully tooth). So that will help overall and that tooth hasn't bothered me even with all this work so close to it.

Well, in two weeks I go back for the permanent crown. That should be a fairly quick appointment.

UGH...this temp is soo annoying. It feels so bulky. It is bulky and keeps rubbing up against the side of my tongue. I can't wait until the perminant crown is ready. The gum feels a bit better...I think. All I want to do is floss around that tooth but the spacing between the teeth is a bit tight and I'm a bit paranoid of the little bugger popping off. I'd really have to manuever the string to get it all the way up in there.

I hope the perminant crown feels better than this one.

Back