• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My new dentures are making me crazy!

M

Mary Beth

I am on my 10th day with dentures. They do look so much better and I love my new smile, but they are driving me crazy!!!! The bottom denture is hard to wear bc I have a giant hole in my gums where my dentist had to drill a tooth out. The rest of my mouth is pretty healed up, but that hole is horrible and very painful! My top denture is pretty comfortable, other than the fact that it feels like it's choking me to death. I'm wondering if maybe the dentist can trim the middle part of the plate back a little so it's not so big. I'm having a really hard time eating with my teeth in...even if it's just pudding. I feel like it chokes me. Someone please tell me that this will get better...and easier! I hate to be negative, I'm just miserable right now. I know it will be worth it and I will never have to be ashamed of my smile or up all night with a toothache! Any help would be greatly appreciated?

I've got a partial denture and tomorrow will be remove it and having a bridge made . Yes it will get better , your tongue needs to get use to this new thing in your mouth .

Yes, they can trim back the top part, and they will. And you'll also adjust. With my first immediate dentures, I got them to trim back the top because it was triggering my gag reflex. But when I got my permanent ones made, the top part was large again. However, I ended up not getting them to trim it, because I adjusted pretty quickly and it doesn't trigger my gag reflex any more.

The bottom dentures are the hardest to adjust to anyway, let alone when you've got a lot of healing to do. Give it time though, it can only get better :)

Thank you...I feel like I am always going to have to eat with my teeth out! But I'll be skinny;) lol

You'll get there! I can eat just fine with mine in. I actually eat faster without them, but that's not necessarily a good thing, because eating too fast is bad for you. I know it can feel really impossible and frustrating for a while, but don't give up. I promise it gets much better. :)

Thanks so much! It's so nice to hear that

I promise it will get better, I went through the whole shebang of all teeth out and new teeth in, have you gone in for adjustments? I still would encourage you to keep trying to eat soft things in smaller bites. I know it feels like there is no room but you will get used to it I promise ;)

Your dentist can trim the denture to fit better in your mouth. I had a partial (flipper) remade three times with no relief. Then the dentist performed a "soft reline" which is a soft cushy material fitted into your denture that made all the difference in the world. See if that will help.

Back