• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My newest journey

S

SteveJD

Hello all and let me thank you in advance for allowing my membership to this forum.

So my dental journey is an expansive one but most recently became quite a little more than I could handle without talking to someone.

Very recently, like within the past two weeks, I have ended up getting 4 extractions, have two additional scheduled, and also a Scaling and Root Planing (SRP) scheduled. The worst part about it is that it couldn't be avoided.

I have a disease called epilepsy and the medication I take destroys gum tissue over time. This resulted in bone loss to the point where things have become hyper mobile without necessarily being unhealthy. So yeah... It's a bummer.

Right now I'm coming up on 4 days after my extractions and everything is looking ok... A little redness near the stitches but nothing unexpected... A little pain near extraction site and area where stitches are. Not an all the time thing.

My overall question is; Is pain expected near the stitches while still being this soon after? No swelling, no excessive redness, just a little tenderness when attempting to use my jaw to eat a solid food.

How long is recovery supposed to take?

I'm literally getting all this thrown at me at once so I'm new to all of it.

Thanks in advance and can't wait to speak with you.

Steve

Hi Steve

First of all welcome to the forum!

Just wanted to reach out as I saw you question has gone unanswered for a little while. Just wondering if you had any update of how things went?

If you have any future questions that might be aimed at dentist answers these sometimes might be more seen in the Ask a dentist thread.

Hi Steve

First of all welcome to the forum!

Just wanted to reach out as I saw you question has gone unanswered for a little while. Just wondering if you had any update of how things went?

If you have any future questions that might be aimed at dentist answers these sometimes might be more seen in the Ask a dentist thread.
Hi there Molar Bear!

Thank you for the welcome and I appreciate you reaching out. I actually had some increased swelling after I posted around the extraction site but everything went down and is looking as I would expect.

I ended up going in to the dentist over the last two weeks to get an SRP done and confirmed with the doctor that the sites looked good. The SRP was an experience to say the least.

I'm taking a six week healing break before my next appointment and then I will end up scheduling my last two extractions leaving me with 1 molar on each quadrant of my jaw (4 molars all together).

Relearning to chew solids is going to be a struggle since I've lost a majority of my chewing surface... Still a little anxious about everything but trying to do what I can before anything gets worse.

I really appreciate you checking in on me and I hope this finds you well...

Steve

Steve, just wanted to say hello. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Steve, just wanted to say hello. Keep us posted on how you are doing!
Hey Champ,

Everything is going ok as of right now... Still healing after that SRP and now I am acutely paranoid of anything that may be lingering in between my teeth. Almost feels like I need to lug around a Waterpik with me on the daily.

Next appointment is for the 21st of June and in addition to my post op checkup they will be extracting the last two lingering molars that have caused issues. Once that ends up happening I will only have 4 molars (1 on each dental quadrant) and of course everything that is in the front...

As I suspected relearning to chew with no molars is a hassle and I end up using a fork and knife more than not... (Kids still look at me weird on pizza night.) It's something that I have to get used to and "overcome".

I thank you for the status check and hope this finds you and yours well.

V\r,

Steve

Hi Steve

Glad to hear that things went okay, wanted to say thanks for keeping us updated and good luck for your next appointment.

With regard to getting used to a change in biting surfaces. You will adapt as you say, takes a bit of time but I find even minor changes in my mouth are so noticeable so it takes time. You’ll get there

Back