• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

my next journey....

hdf2

hdf2

........ is to move to a different part of the country , down south, and somehow manage to continue my dental journey. I dont " do change" very well so its gonna be quite an experience. new house, new area, new ddddentist!
I emailed a few dentists last night again, and had ONE lovely reply from Dr Alaredy in Blackpool. So, once we are settled, I will meet him for a consultation and take things from there.

Only good thing about moving is that i will be nearer my sons. The eldest gets married next weekend, and my youngest made me a gran at the age of 47 in April.

It has been hectic here lately, hence my absence from the forum, but no doubt I will be here lots when I get settled again.

Take care all.

I hope he'll turn out to be "the one" :-*

Best of luck with the move - this must be an exciting time for you :grouphug:

Thank you lets, it is exciting but also a bit scarey thinking about a new dentist etc. Anddddd I have had toothache where i had a tooth filled in June which triggers off horrendous panic attacks! Thats all I need at the moment!

I hope it has calmed down again - toothache is the last thing you need when in the middle of moving!

a quick update..........
I rang the PCT and explained my phobia and my need for all treatment to be done under sedation. i was given an appointment with a dentist to have a check up on feb4th, and be referred for sedation . The surgery phoned a couple of weeks before to cancel my appointment due to lack of funds and gave me a new apointment..........in may! So I'm still waiting to get referred for my treatment. The panic attacks are back as i am still having niggles in a couple of upper front teeth. I just want them all taken out so i dont have to worry about treatment anymore :(

update,...........

i have a quick appointment with a private dentist on friday to see whats what. I have been in touch via email which has been nice...............so relaxed etc. Will keep you informed after my weekend away

Well, my 10 min appt with a new dentist turned into a 2 hour one...... we chatted about my fears, probs etc and as time ticked by, I could feel myself getting less anxious. On the downside, I just couldnt bring myself to allow the probe to be used, but, I had xrays taken and also managed to have impressions done! I was soooooooo scared that a filling may come out when i had that done, so, to make me feel more comfortable about it, he put some wax on the troublesome tooth and also coated this with vaseline. The impressions were done and the filling stayed intact. This saved us an 8 hour round trip having to go
back to have impressions done. so i'm so glad i found the courage to have them done there and then, and that was due to me being made to feel less anxious by such an understanding dentist!
I shook hands with MY NEW DENTIST as we left, and he gave me a hug!
So........a big "thank you" to Dr Mike.

Well, my 10 min appt with a new dentist turned into a 2 hour one...... we chatted about my fears, probs etc and as time ticked by, I could feel myself getting less anxious. On the downside, I just couldnt bring myself to allow the probe to be used, but, I had xrays taken and also managed to have impressions done! I was soooooooo scared that a filling may come out when i had that done, so, to make me feel more comfortable about it, he put some wax on the troublesome tooth and also coated this with vaseline. The impressions were done and the filling stayed intact. This saved us an 8 hour round trip having to go
back to have impressions done. so i'm so glad i found the courage to have them done there and then, and that was due to me being made to feel less anxious by such an understanding dentist!
I shook hands with MY NEW DENTIST as we left, and he gave me a hug!
So........a big "thank you" to Dr Mike.
Fantastic news. I really hope having made that 'connection' you might feel much more comfortable about everything else. Impressed that you are travelling 4 hours for the right person.

I'm so annoyed with myself for not having done it sooner Brit. When we lived in the highlands, we were always having a few days away in Glasgow but it never crossed my mind before :(
I guess its now the right time!

Oh so DrMike is your new dentist? You might even find you can forego sedation then - perfect. :jump::party::sleepyjuice:

he is indeed brit..........too early to say I will never need sedation tho, i will certainly need it for my next appt, however...there is always the next time. I think I'll work on it!
I still cant believe that I had a consultation with him for 2 hours on friday........felt like 20 mins max!

Wish this was all over and done with. Every waking moment is spent thinking of whether my front tooth will break or if i will lose the filling and be in agony. the first thing I do when I wake is check whether the tooth is still intact. I cant bear to brush the tooth which isnt helping :(
Wish I had a magic wand to fast forward time.

How long will you need to wait for? I should really add a magic wand smilie :)!

:magicwand: - :pressing the fast forward button:

Did it work ;D?

lol thanks Lets, wish it had worked tho.

mike is working on my treatment plan at the moment, then we will take things from there.
i have asked for my remaining upper teeth to be removed and the partial replaced with a full upper denture. ( too much bone loss to save the front ones anyway)

I have a provisional appt for next thursday...just need to make sure my partner can get 3 days off work next week, so that we can travel up on wednesday and return home friday.
Ive had a script for diazepam to take the night before and prior to my appt., and have arnica on order to start taking a couple of days before.
Mike has been so good...replying to emails and answering my concerns. he also rang me yesterday on his day off!!! Now thats dedication.

Im still freaking out tho :(

Great to hear that you've got a provisional date booked - I hope your partner will be able to take time off work next week :grouphug:!!

presuming that all goes well, this time next week it will be all over and done with. I'm sort of excited about having a new smile, yet scared at the same time? Mike said he will take time to get me comfy.......... but i dont think I should take pj's lol ( im always comfy in my pj's)

In 8-9 hours time, I will know for sure if my appt is going ahaed on thursday. I'm dreading it , but hope it is? I dont want another week of worrying ahead of the appt :(

I don't know if you're on your way up North already, but wanted to wish you the best of luck for tomorrow :thumbsup: (not that you'll need it, seeing how you are in very capable hads :XXLhug:)

Back