• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My oral sedation success story, no more fear!

J

jlo

To begin, I'm 45 and have had intermittent dental phobia since childhood. I also had orthodontia combined with both upper and lower jaw surgery in my early 40's. It was the orthdontic bands around my crowned back molars that landed me in this pickle (root canals and crown replacements). Orthodontia wasn't scary, and of course the surgery was done under GA so no worries there. However, I am terrified of having my back teeth worked on because of the whole gagging/choking thing, and I am terrified of root canals. When I was told I needed all that back tooth work done, I totally freaked out. My (now former) dentist didn't do sedation, so I quit to find one who would. And I did, even though I was told "nobody" in this town would
do it by my old dentist. Hah.

Last night I found this board, on the eve of my appointment to have two teeth drilled to see if I needed a root canal & new crown (yes to both). Needless to say I was terrified. I am a very anxious person and have many fears including gagging, choking, not being able to swallow, and the fear of fear itself that balloons everything way out of proportion and that no "normal" person understands. Thank goodness for this forum! You guys got me through last night! It's so nice to find out I'm not a freak and that lots of others share the same fears.

My new dentist and her staff were so nice to me! She prescribed a .5mg valium for last night to sleep, and two .25mg halcions to take an hour before the appointment. A had a friend to drive me there, and stay with me for a couple hours after.

Soo, last night I took my valium, which has very little effect on me. I tossed and turned through the night. I was almost as frightened about taking the halcion as I was about the actual appointment. I am the person who reads ALL the negative side effects and imagines them happening to me. My own worst enemy :scared:

Annnnyyway, today I took my two little Halcions, and 20-30 minutes later they could
have set a bomb off in my mouth and I wouldn't have cared one bit. Talk about relaxed!!!! I had nitrous oxide too and that hour and a half appointment seemed about 10 minutes long. I remember them talking to me and telling me how great I did, but that's about it. I didn't feel or remember any of the work.

;D Whooee! One appointment down and five to go! I'm not the least worried anymore. I feel like I've been let out of prison. No more fear!!! She gave me 10 more halcions for my next five "big" appointments (root canal; crowns, and 4 more fillings.) I'm ready! The root canal guy doesn't "do" nitrous oxide but I think the halcion is more than effective enough on its own.

So, keep looking, find the right dentist, don't be afraid of the oral meds because they WORK. My dentist is going to be offering IV sedation soon. She is the best!

Thanks for sharing that brilliant news..it's great that you've found a dentist you like and trust :jump: :party: :jump:
Good luck with the rest of your appointments but you already sound really relaxed about the whole thing so that's brilliant.

YAY! Thanks for telling me the good news about Halcion! I will be taking that too! I hope I am just as lucky as you are with it! Now I feel MUCH Better! BIG HUGS TO YOU! :XXLhug: