• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My smile journal

G

Girlblue

Well,ive decided to vent about my quest for the perfect smile.Today i went to the dentist.I was a new patient and god i didnt want to go!I chose that perticular dentist because apparantly their moto is 'the gentle touch'.They aparantly treat phobic patients.So i get their,open the door and the smell hits me! Turns my stomach straight away.Before i know it my names called by a.....Cont

Goodlooking,young dentist lol.So i get in the chair and he ask's me why im their and i say,JUST for a checkup.Im so scared i felt like being sick.He told me i need eight fillings,a few extractions and a brace.He said my bites good but my front teeth stick out to far.He said my gums need cleaning? Never heard of that.He also said i need to floss.My next appointments next tuesday and im crying..Cont

Crying at the thought of all the work that needs doing.How can i possibly cope with having all that done.Plus im on antidepressants.45mg of mirtazapine.But ive heard its dangerous to be on that and have anasthetic? Any feedback would be great.I need to know im not alone on this.Im 24 and the thought of braces scares me.

:welcome: welldone for making the first and hardest step. You were concerned about wearing a brace - more and more adults wear braces to straighten their teeth as people are mor concerned with the apperance of their smile. I wore a brace at 27 /28 years of age to correct the postion of two of my back teeth. The orthodontic (brace) treatment was not at all painful although it does require regular visits every 6-8 weeks and perhaps takes a bit longer. With regard to you fillings i am really nervous about the drill and having my teeth drilled I always take a cd walkman with me with a relaxation cd to listen to this drowns out the sound of the drill and helps me relax, ask if your dentist can do the fillings one at a time at a pace you can handle.

Thankyou so much for your feedback,its really encouraging.I had a filling last tuesday and ive been ill since then.Im not sure if its anything to do with my filling.Who knows.All that i know is that my teeth hurt more than before i had the filling.Odd.I have the dentist again on wednesday and im dreading it.The thought of having a tooth pulled sends shivers up my spine :o(

I have the dentist today.The day is finally here again.I have a nasty cough and cold thing but i have to go because the pain ive been in has beaten the fear ive felt.I just want the pain to stop.I hope he doesnt want to pull my tooth out as its near the front.Damn why have i let my teeth get so bad.I know why because im a big chicken.I hope hes in a good mood 2day.I will keep u posted.

Sorry to hear your not feeling so good especially when you have an appointment! Good luck, hope all goes well for you :thumbsup:

Sorry i havent been on much.ive been ill and busy.i start where we left off.i went to the dentist and had some fillings WITHOUT injection! Not through my own choice either! He said that i wouldnt need it and god it hurt! Also with the tooth that had been really hurting,so much so that i had to take so many painkillers!he put a temporary filling in and bookd me in for a 40min root canal yikes

Today was the day i was booked in for my root canal and guess what! I didnt need 1! Thankgod.i just needed 3 big big fillings which wasnt very nice.i was terrified and my mouth whent so numb and dry.then he said my treatments finished!what happend about my extractions and braces?he said nothing about it! Im gutted and depressed,im never going to get straight teeth now.i feel so ugly.:o(

Hi, first off, I cant believe that a filling was done without an injection! I would ask for one even if my dentist said I dodnt need it, I pay him money to look after my mouth and teeth so in my eyes what I want, I should get! Good news about not needing a rooth canal but bad news that you dont feel so good about yourself right now, perhaps you could phone or pop in to ask about whether you will be having braces and the extractions in the future? Maybe the dentist just forgot to mention this to you? I would definately go back and ask. My dentist didnt tell me what I needed done at my next appointemnt, I have my treatment plan so I kinda know but he didnt tell me what he had done at that appointment, well, not that I remember anyway!! I hope you feel better soon :XXLhug:

Hi Girlblue from reading about some of your recent experiences with your filling i would find another dentist who is more sympathetic and will treat you at a pace you can handle.

I would agree with Geraint. I don't think they are very good - I don't like the sound of drilling without anasthetic (I have just had to have 4 times the normal amount!) and I don't like how they keep changing what treatments you are supposed to have.

Not all dentists are like that. :XXLhug: You need a dentist who listens to you and tells you what is going wrong and does the things you ask, no matter how embarrassing they seem to you.

Good luck though pet!

Thanks for the nice messages.i havent been on as ive been so depressed.ive got the dentist 2day to ask him to refer me to the orthodontist.having crooked teeth really is effecting my life.im sure it effects the way ppl treat me.im due to start college in september and want to make freinds but im afraid that they wont want to know me because of my teeth i feel so down.i just want to be able 2 smile

Well,i went to my appointment,my dentist checked my teeth and said good news,he said hes going to refer me to the lady orthodontist upstairs.i thought great! Then he said that i will have to pay for the consultation! They wernt sure how much but maybe £60.00 pounds or more! I was horrified! I get free treatment on the nhs.i dont have a job,im due to start college and i have 3 kids.i do not have...

That sort of money.maybe i could stump up the cash for the consultation fee,but there is no way i can pay from a £1000-3500! For the rest of the treatment! It is just to much.i thought i might be able to get it done on the nhs.please help someone i dont know what to do!maybe they ment i only have to pay the consultation fee and not the treatment? What should i do arrrh another problem to overcome

Hi, sorry to hear about all the trouble your having with your dentist messing you around. :XXLhug:

You could maybe ask them if they do a payment plan, maybe pay a deposit then the rest in monthly amounts you can afford. Might be worth asking!

Anyway good luck :rolleyes: Let us know how you get on.

Girlblue said:
maybe they ment i only have to pay the consultation fee and not the treatment? What should i do arrrh another problem to overcome

I guess all you can do is speak to your dentist about this, maybe you wont have to pay for treatment or maybe he/she even forgot that you dont have to pay?? The only way of finding out is to speak with them, then you could take things from there? Good luck

I'm probably not a good person to talk about this since I only lived in the uk for a couple years of my life and there are others who live there permenantly, but is it not the case that NHS ortho treatment is only free to children under 16 or something like that? That is what I had thought, anyway. Anyone know for sure? It's cheaper on the NHS than private, regardless though.

Yes Any treatment for a child under 16 is free on the NHS. For anyone over 16 there is a charge for NHS treatment. But if you are on benefits, SSp, Income Support or if you claim Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit, then you should be entitled to extra help regarding the payments, some people may be fully exempt from paying.

I'm not sure but i don't think OAP's pay either.

Hello,havent posted in ages as i havent had much news to post.
I whent to my first appointment at the orthodontist today, it went better than i expected.
I was only in there for about 10 minutes,the lady was ever so nice she had a good look at my teeth,bite etc she said that i have an overbite of seven when normally it would be about a 2-3,she also said that the bite at the sides of my mouth is good  but also i have a bit of a cross bite and my teeth at the front are not lined up too well.
She told me that i need 4 of my teeth extracted to make room for the others,she told me that the next step is to have xrays and moulds made of my teeth and for her to talk to my dentist.
I asked her how much this was going to cost and she said 2000-2050gbp,to be payed in monthly instalments,i also asked her about ceramic braces and she said that she doesnt really like to use them,as they are more time consuming,she said that i might be able to get one on the top but she wasnt to keen.
Well it looks like im going to go for it,she said that i could have lovely straight teeth and that im pretty and that she was suprised know one had bothered to mention orthodontics to me before.
Im very nervous about it all,i have many doubts but the positives outway the negatives,i know im going to have to go around for a year with a mouthfull of metal but i know its worth it,my boyfriend is being so supportive and wants me to do whatever makes me happy,even much so that we are selling our lexus jeep to get a smaller car and fund the cost of the braces.
I cant believe that im finally going to have straight teeth,and the confidence to smile...at last,my journey is just begining and im going to keep you all posted and up to date with my journey into orthodontics,so all you people who are reading this and wondering whether to get braces,....watch this space :thumbsup:

Back