• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My Story/Ramblings!

Hi ella-ella, so sorry to hear you’re in agony. Could you go to A&E for an emergency prescription?
Good on you for making an appointment with a promising-looking dental practice - keeping my fingers crossed that they’ll be “the one” ?

Thank you ☺️ I've managed to beg a prescription from the dentist I saw last week. She was really nice when she phoned back, but all I could manage was to sob thank you over and over.

I'm writing all my ramblings in the hope that it'll help, and hopefully help somebody else. I don't really have any support in real life, and over the years have felt reading other people's stories and posts have given me courage and strength. I like reading every single detail which is why I'm adding lots!

So, the dentist I saw last Tuesday phoned us back. She explained they don't do telephone consultations, but had got permission from the practice manager and wanted to help me.

She asked if I could see any lumps on the gum, where my face was puffy, which tooth it felt like, if I could manage until my filling appointment in 2 days on Thursday (I hadn't cancelled this appointment yet, even though I have the new patient appointment at the other place in 3 days on Friday)

She agreed to prescribe me liquid amoxicillin which my husband has been and collected, and had made up at the chemist.

I've just had the first dose, and from experience know it's not going to work instantly, but I'm hoping and praying it's not days and days and days like the last time.

All I could do was sob thank you to her. I now feel really bad to be going elsewhere, and feel like I need to think through it all again, but for now I just need to get through today and pray I start to get some relief from the antibiotics as it's all I have to cling onto right now.

Thinking Of You Lovely.. I Hope Someone Can Help You!! Xx

Thank you ☺️

I don't know how I got through yesterday, the pain was absolutely horrendous, sharp hot searing constant jabbing pains the whole day and night. I just cried and groaned all writhered around. Absolutely awful.

The pain is easier today. I set my alarm for in the night so I could fit in the full 3 does of antibiotics yesterday. When I woke up this morning it's not been jabbing as much, touch wood.

I'd not been able to drink even tepid coffee for a couple of days, but have managed two warm drinks today, and two KitKat's!

I've now had 4 doses of antibiotics, due the 5th one soon, and they seem to be taking effect and reducing the pain. It's still painful, but I can cope with this, especially if every dose makes it easier.

When I had the abcess last year, I got no relief for days and days after starting the antibiotics, and that was my biggest fear this time.

We called and cancelled the appointment for the first filling tomorrow - I'm just exhausted and not in the right place mentally to face it, and it doesn't have anything to do with the painful tooth, and isn't at the dentist's I plan on keeping. I still have every intension of going on Friday to the new place, but I just feel so bad to leave the other even when they prescribed me the antibiotics yesterday.

Urghh. I know I shouldn't feel bad, I went and paid and they couldn't find anything wrong...I suspect because we couldn't do the x-rays properly. The new place states ORP which Google says is panoramic x-rays, so even that makes the new place better for me, but I just feel so bad. It's silly really.

Today has been better than yesterday. The abcess is still hurting, but it's not off the scale like it was yesterday. We've been out for a drive tonight and it's throbbing and jabbing more now than it has all day.

It's been over 4 hours since my last painkillers, so hopefully what I've just taken will take the edge off soon, and my 6th dose of antibiotics in a couple of hours will help with it.

2 more days until my new patient Checkup and I find out everything I need doing.

*and hopefully exactly what's wrong with this tooth...and which tooth it is as I'm not sure anymore - it's been feeling like every tooth top and bottom on that side to be honest!

I feel like I jinxed myself saying the pain was reducing on Wednesday, and hadn't been jabbing as much...all day yesterday it jabbed and jabbed and I struggled to drink anything like I had the previous day.

When this pain first started almost 3 weeks ago (today is day 18), it felt like it was coming from between the bottom left wisdom tooth and molar tooth...as the pain increased the top teeth, particularly my 1st pre molar with a huge hole/missing filling started to hurt...this last week the hot searing constant jabbing pains have felt like both the top and the bottom.

Since starting the antibiotics, and getting a little relief, it seems to be more the top pre molar, until on Wednesday my canine next to this pre molar was very painful to even touch. This canine looks fine, and has never given me any pain, but has got worse the last couple of days. If I touch my face by my nose it's incredibly painful which is freaking me out and making me super anxious.

Anyway, today is the day of the appointment at the new private place. It's 5.30am, I've barely slept all night and feel sick to my stomach about going.

The appointment is at 8am so I want to leave at 7.15pm to make sure I can get parked, and I'm not rushing last minute to get there. I feel like I'm just going to cry as soon as I walk in - I've already cried all 3 times when I've spoken to them (enquiring, booking, and then Tuesday when I was in agony). I hope they don't think I'm a total idiot ?

Just arrived. Will sit in the car a few more minutes and then walk over and find it. I think I have to phone to be let it. Shaking like crazy and trying not to cry

Best of luck ?, I hope they’ll be able to help you!

Thank you guys! I've been, was in there 90 minutes. Seems it is my canine tooth that's now the problem...huge hole and exposed nerve. I've had it drilled and packed for the first part of root canal. I'll update properly later. Still very sore, even though I'm still numb, even my nose is numb, so weird as I hate being numb so just trying to ignore it. Hopefully what he's done today, coupled with the antibiotics, will make a bit more of a difference to the pain now.

Still shaking, plus I cried. Urghh. Hate being so terrified and controlled by a feeling

Well done for getting through it ?. You must be absolutely exhausted from the ongoing pain, the lack of sleep, and the stress of the appointment ? - it's no wonder you're still shaking and crying. Hopefully, you had a good experience with the new dental practice apart from that?

Keeping my fingers crossed that the pain will finally ease over the next few days xxx

Ella Ella

Just catching up on your story and so sorry to read of all the pain , I agree it sounds just exhausing as letsconnect said. How are you now? has it calmed down any bit? I sure hope you are doing better and have had some relief! :grouphug:

Hi guys, been struggling and having a bit of a rough time lately, but I've been plodding on and have had the 2nd half of the root canal 2 weeks after my last post....and then a week later a tooth extraction which was this afternoon. Feeling very sorry for myself to write anything else right now ?

Ella-Ella,

That sounds like a rough couple weeks . Sorry to hear that. Hope you can rest up a bit after all that and things get better quick.. Hoping for a speedy recovery and no new issues for you. seems you deserve a bit of a rest from the dentist for a bit.. :grouphug:

Ella, I just caught up on your story today. Your strength and courage has helped so many, I’m sure. It’s given me an extra boost of courage to deal with what’s been nagging me. How are you now? Any updates? I’d love to hear that you are now out of pain and with a dentist whom you love!

Hi everyone

It's a long time since I've logged on here. I was having a bit of a rubbish time last year, but you'll be glad to know I've kept (slowly) plodding on with my treatment plan.

I'll do a proper update, but I've had 4/5 more appointments since my last post, with the last one only being this afternoon, where I've managed to get a rotten wisdom/molar extracted....this tooth has given me years of pain and anxiety, and basically controlled my life....it's the thing I feared most having done in this whole journey, and I've done it today!!

Proud of myself, but I couldn't of done it without my dentist, he's been great with me, and made everything much easier to cope with.

I'm now obsessing over dry socket, and the whole recovery, but I'm relieved it's out. Only 1/2 more appointments to go and I'll be on 6 monthly checkups!

Keep going guys, it's a hard road, I've sobbed my way through most of my appointments, but the pain of avoiding going is much worse. You can do it ?

Hi Ella
I’ve also had a tooth out today and I’m obsessing about dry socket as well!
I got it the last time I had a tooth out so I’m mega paranoid that it’s going to happen again ? I’m literally taking each hour as it comes and probably will do for the next few days. It’s so draining…I’m currently 4 hours post extraction and I don’t think I’ll sleep well tonight.
Hope yours is going well up to now ?

Back