• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My Story/Ramblings!

How are you doing today Becky?

I'm okay, this is the first extraction I've had where I can't see the socket (upper left back tooth). I was stressed out that a couldn't see it at first, but actually, not checking it every 10 minutes as I have with past extractions, is so much less mentally draining.

I'm 26 hours in now, and doing okay. The pain is okay with painkillers, although I've not dared eat anything yet....I had a slim fast milkshake last night, and one this morning, but I'm absolutely starving!

@ella-ella Hi Ella, glad to hear your doing well. I’m ok atm, almost 26 hours in myself and I’m taking painkillers more as a preventative measure now, I can feel a soreness every now and again but that all up to now. Mine is upper left and it’s surrounded by two good sized teeth so I can’t actually see anything, so like you, I’ve found that’s a good thing!
I’ve not rinsed yet or brushed my other teeth, I really need to though as my mouth feels grim ?
I’ve just had drinks and managed some porridge about 2 hours ago, I’m absolutely starving as well but I’m not confident enough yet to eat more.
When are you going to feel confident you have passed the DS stage? X

@Beckybo that's good you're not relying on painkillers. I've had them every 4/5 hours today, its sore, but not terrible.

I had a tin of tomato soup tonight, I tried soggy bread with it and managed 3 soggy slices, minus the crust's! Sooo nice to taste something!

I've just brushed 3/4 of my mouth, done the salt rinse, and hoping I sleep okay tonight. I was awake a few times last night, but not from the pain, I just kept waking up.

Everything online says 7-10 days for dry socket, but I've seen a few dentists on here say your most likely safe from it before then, some by a good few days, so fingers crossed.

Not being able to see the socket is actually saving my sanity, I've not even tried looking since removing the gauze yesterday, but I'm definitely not as obsessed and stressed as I usually am, but I know I would be if I was able to see it....out of sight out of mind and all that!

56 hours in and still doing okay

I had meds at 6am, then ibroprofen again at some point this afternoon, I can't exactly remember when, but Its pretty sore now, so have gone with paracetamol just to be sure.

I woke up with a swollen cheek which seems to have got bigger today, but everything said 3 days for swelling to peak, so I'm not worried about that.

Morning Ella, good to hear you doing ok!
I’m now approx 68 hours in and feeling fine, no painkillers needed for a while now and this morning I feel like I have some energy and colour in my cheeks!
I’m still being careful though and I will do for a few more days yet…I’m back at work Monday so just going to take it easy until then. Keep us updated if you can, it’s nice to hear a positive extraction story xx

That's great Becky! I'm 76.5 hours in now, I had painkillers at 6am and then 1pm, I need some more as it's pretty sore again...my cheek is still fat, and that now feels sore, but the painkillers generally take it away.

My youngest came out in chicken pox yesterday, so I've not had the relaxing weekend I imagined lol. We're having a birthday party for my middle child tomorrow too ?

@ella-ella Wow You’ve Done So Well!! ? I’m Glad You Are Back & You Are Ok ? Was A Bit Worried Truth Be Told ? xx

Aww I'm okay Lleigh. I became a single parent last year...my choice. I've just not been able to bring myself to log in, but I have (very slowly) kept up my treatment plan. Think I've had 8 appointments so far, with just 1 or 2 left before being put on 6 monthly checkups. I can't believe it, I didn't think I'd ever get anywhere near checkup status!

@ella-ella That’s Brilliant Hun ? You Sound A Lot Happier In Yourself!!

& Im Good Thank You.. Im Slowly Building Up The Courage To Work Through My Worries xx

120 hours - 5 full days in and the swelling is going down.

Yesterday, day 4, was by far the most painful day, and the most amount of swelling. It was also my daughter's birthday party, so I had to talk most of the day which made it feel worse?

I've not had any meds today, it only hurts when I swallow or yawn, but it's perfectly manageable. I'm still just eating soup, but I'm hoping I'm healed enough now.

Its weird thought, as everytime it's hurt, I've thought "not again, how am I going to get this tooth out". My brain can't comprehend that I've had it out, and there's an end to the years of pain it's caused me

That’s Really Good. You Should Be Well In The Clear From DS By Now Then!! You Are On The Other Side xx

Oh I hope so, dry socket is just a kick in the teeth when it's so hard to even get yourself to get an extraction!

6 full days today - 155 hours or so. I managed a cheese topped bread bun last night, and two KitKat's, my first solid food!

I've had the same today, but with cheese and crackers. It gets a bit achey still, but feeling much happier now after a pretty rubbish and stressful week

Definitely Is!! Yet There Isn’t Better Pain Relief Available xx

Back