• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My story

E

Emsymarie

Ever since I was young I have feared the dentist. The worst experience ever was when I needed a deep filling at age 9 and I literally ran when my name was called. I shake in the chair and will sometimes not even manage to get in the chair and just sit in the corner. I avoid the dentist as much as I can so last week when I had a hole in my tooth I had to force myself to go.

When I arrived at the appointment I felt sick and dizzy. I almost went outside for some air as I was sure I would faint. I also had stomach cramps and shaking. When I went in I met my dentist who was lovely despite me being awol for 3 years. When I got on the chair she reassured me that she wouldn’t do anything until I was ready and talked me through everything. Even the 10 second numbing injection, she told me I was doing really well every couple of seconds. The temp filling was a little scary as the drill was noisy but she kept pausing so she could check on me. I had tremors when I left oddly and not on the chair but it could have been adrenaline.

Sadly, I have had lots of pain since so I will be going back for my check up earlier than anticipated (tomorrow). I am still anxious and I know I will probably get an X-ray which will show my teeth are bad but I feel more comfortable with her.

One thing I will definitely do next time is give my name and wait outside if I have a long time to wait as the waiting room definitely makes my anxiety 20x worse. I also think it’s important to let your dentist know straight away if you are anxious as some people are just naturally quiet so it may go unnoticed.
My main tip would be to find a dentist who you trust. If you don’t feel reassured by the dentist you have you could always try a different dentist in the surgery. My anxiety is still a challenge but I feel better now I know that my dentist understands.

Emsymarie,

This is a great testimony! Your dentist sounds like a lovely person with great chairside manner! You seem so self aware and good with self care and have great tips!! Hope all goes well tomorrow!

Well done!

Just like the creature in the Wizard of Oz, here is your reward for courage: ?

Okay so today’s appointment was pretty positive. I had xrays on all my teeth and that is the only tooth with a problem ?. I told her about the pain and she recommends a root canal which will be done late August. But I am really worried about the pain. The pain seems to originate from that tooth but I can also get it all along the top right and into my front ones. Currently sat with a hot water bottle on my face and feeling pretty miserable :(

You have come so far, so fast!

You'll feel better soon. Keep us posted.

Glad things went well and I hope the pain quiets down soon.

Back