• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My strange and unusual dental journey (root canal, wisdom tooth, filling and more)

Re: My strange and unusual dental journey (root canal, wisdom tooth, filling and more)

I am now 14 days post op. The canker sores are finally going away. There is still pain in the surgery site...a dull aching that is tolerable. The tooth is still pressure sensitive, so I still don't know if the surgery worked.

Re: My strange and unusual dental journey (root canal, wisdom tooth, filling and more)

I had thought I was getting better, and was getting optimistic. Yesterday, my root canal tooth was sore all day, painful to even have my cheek touch it. Today, my other molar that had the filling (which had been getting better) is aching again, and my root canal tooth is still hurting. Very depressed. I am looking at extraction and another root canal.

Heading back to endodontist tomorrow, earlier than planned. The pain is getting worse, causing pressure behind my eye and a headache. I have seen an ENT, and he said my ears and sinuses look fine, so it isn't sinus pressure this time.

Hoping this gets better for you mountainmama!!

Hoping this gets better for you mountainmama!!

Thanks. I just want the tooth out at this point. I don't really want to lose it, but I am tired of this pain and never ending dental work.

Endodontist said the x ray looked perfect. She said the issue must be in the palatal root, which she wasn't able to resect, since it went into my sinus cavity quite a ways. She pressed on my gums on the palate side and they were really sore.
So she doesn't want to extract, since the x ray looks so good. She is going to open up the root canal in two weeks, and put a medicine soaked piece of cotton in there, and let it sit for a month, to see it that helps. She is not going to charge me anything, either, so if it works, great. If it doesn't, I get the tooth extracted and I am not out any money. I am not going on antibiotics this time. I just hope I can make it until then.

I also saw my general doctor today about my stomach pain. She confirmed it sounds like an ulcer, and prescribed me 40 mg prilosec for a month, and another med that is supposed to coat my stomach and take away stomach pain.

I am just ready to be back to normal.

I had the retreatment today, but don't hold much hope that it is going to work. The endodontist thinks there might be a tiny crack that she couldn't see with the microscope. My whole left side of my head aches right now, since I can no longer take ibuprofen. Tylenol doesn't do much.

To make things worse, she tested my bottom molar again and this time it showed up as irreversible pulpitis. She said based on the fact that the filling in the tooth is tiny, she suspects a crown fracture, which means a root canal would only have a 50-50 chance of working. So I have to get it extracted. Consult for oral surgeon is Oct. 10, which is the earliest I can get in. She is concerned about the pain since I can no longer take ibuprofen. Lucky me. I just pray it doesn't abscess before I can get it out.

Sorry to read about the bad news :( may your pain settle soon, it sounds awful. Hoping secretly that the treatment from today works somehow, if there is bad luck with teeth, then there must be a good one too so why couldnˋt it be on your side once…:clover::clover::clover:

Sorry to read about the bad news :( may your pain settle soon, it sounds awful. Hoping secretly that the treatment from today works somehow, if there is bad luck with teeth, then there must be a good one too so why couldnˋt it be on your side once…:clover::clover::clover:

Thanks. I need some good luck! The tooth itself has the same pressure pain, and now that the numbness has worn off, I think the temp crown is hitting high, which doesn't help. When I close my teeth, it bumps and hurts. Ugh. It is a 30 minute drive, so I can't just pop in there to have them fix it. I am going to wait until tomorrow to see if it is just swelling.

I have kind of resigned myself to the fact that I am going to lose 2 molars, on opposite sides. It has always been one of my biggest fears, but now that it hurts so badly, I think I can deal with it. I just wish it didn't cost so much, or take so long to get in to the oral surgeon! They are charging me $260 just for the consult.

Right now my biggest fear is the bottom molar becoming unbearably painful, while I can't take ibuprofen. The general surgeon I saw yesterday for my ulcer said I could take oxycodone as needed, so my endo wrote a script for just 2 days worth, just in case, but I do not want to take those.

I went back to the endodontist on Friday, and got the temp crown adjusted. Saturday, I woke up and my gums all around my temp crown were raw and the skin had sloughed off like a blister. I think adjusting it made it leak out the medicine she put in there as I have had a terrible bleach taste since then. The tooth is still super tender to the touch

I spoke with my dentist today regarding my lower 2nd molar. She said the periodontist that the endodontist recommended is the best in the area, but that she could refer me to an oral surgeon who would also do a good job on extraction. I want the extraction to be done so that if I can afford an implant later, I can get it. So the bone density needs to be evaluated. She ended up getting me in next week, so I don't have to wait 3 weeks!

I met with an oral surgeon today, and have scheduled an extraction for October 10 for the bottom right molar. I am going to go ahead and get an implant on that tooth. It wasn't quite as expensive as I had thought, which is good. The total cost at the oral surgeon, with extraction, bone grafting, and implant rod, will be $2000 (which includes nitrous oxide). Then, I will have the cost of the crown from my own dentist.

The whole process will take 8 months. 4 months after the extraction, they will put in the implant rod. Then 4 months later, I will get the crown. Looks like chewing again will take longer than I thought. The root canal tooth on the upper left is still too sore to use. It is not as painful as before, but still not usable.

My journey continues with another issue. Five days ago my right, front upper tooth (#8) started hurting. It was a constant ache, and extremely pressure sensitive and it hurt if I pressed lightly at the base with my tongue. I figured it was just from using that tooth more and kind of blew it off. Sunday, the pain increased, but was still not unbearable. I called in and went to the dentist yesterday. I have a large abscess on the root. This dental nightmare has really gotten to me.
The dentist even told me that she feels bad for me that everything is hitting at once. This tooth's issue is the result of an childhood trauma. When I was 9, my brother pushed a shopping cart into my mouth, and the tooth broke at the tip. It wasn't a big piece that broke and didn't expose pulp. I had a filling put on, and it never gave me trouble. I had the filling redone a few times, after braces, and then as an adult.

The dentist said she could do the root canal in her office but may have to send me to an endodontist if she runs into issues. The tooth stopped growing after the trauma. The pulp chamber is large, the canal wide, and it has an open apex. I did not realize until I got home and looked it up that an open apex is going to make it more complicated and I am questioning whether or not the dentist should do it now, or if I should go straight to the endodontist. It is quite painful right now, and the dentist put me on antibiotics for the abscess and can get me in next week. For the endodontist there is never less than a 3 week wait. I am terrified of the anesthetic not working due to the abscess.

I am getting my lower molar extracted today, so step one towards the implant will be done.

I am not sure why this year has been so difficult with my teeth. I have always maintained good dental hygiene, gone to my cleanings, and have taken good care of my teeth.

Lower molar is out! I just got back and am still numb, which is a good thing. Lol.

The procedure with the extraction, bone grafting, and stitches took a little under an hour. The nitrous helped a lot but I was still tense. I could still feel parts of it, like when he was using the tool to move the tooth back and forth, I felt a pinching sensation like when the injections are given. It was painful but was over quickly when the tooth was out. I also felt some of the stitching towards the back (needle pricks), but again the nitrous made it much better.

Next step is the root canal on front tooth next week.

It is 3 days after the extraction and it has been a roller coaster. The actual extraction site is sore occasionally but not too bad. The molar next to the extraction site, and the following 4 teeth all ache. My front lateral incisor (all bottom) was aching persistently yesterday, and the gums under the tooth are sore. I am worried about another abscess now. I cannot stop worrying and my mouth has been in constant pain, between the aching bottom teeth and the abscessed front top tooth hurting. Ugh. I feel as though this dental nightmare is never ending and I am going to lose all my teeth.

Sorry for the pity party, but this is all so depressing. I thought getting the molar out would stop the tooth pain on the bottom, but now it makes me wonder if there has always been more than one tooth involved.

I just had thw root canal on my front tooth. It was interesting, as apparently my canal was so wide that they don't even make a file large enough to fit it. My dentist was awesome, and she made sure I understood the risk that if even a small amount of bacteria was left, it could fail, but she cleaned it out three times. She also had to cut the gutta percha to make it fit, since my apex was wide open. She took x rays throughout to make sure she was happy with it.

She is very hopeful that it will work. If it doesn't, she said I would need an apicoectomy. I told her that wouldn't be an option, as I would not go through that again. I would rather go straight to an implant.

I went to the endodontist again today to evaluate my upper left 2nd molar, with the root canal. It still hurts so she referred me to an oral surgeon to get it pulled. I am so depressed. All that work and money for nothing. Now I will have two teeth missing.

The front tooth had calmed down but started hurting today. The endodontist said with an open apex it will most likely need an apico at some point.

I probably should call the dentist and have it checked out since the pain returned but I just cannot handle another blow right now.

I'm so sorry for your disappointment. You're so brave and I know you don't know me,but I was just reading through your journal and wanted to tell you how proud of you I am.

I'm so sorry for your disappointment. You're so brave and I know you don't know me,but I was just reading through your journal and wanted to tell you how proud of you I am.

Thank you. That means a lot right now. I don't feel brave. I feel terrified, but I have overcome some of my fears with the anesthetics. I am just ready for this nightmare to be over.

My tooth that started this whole journey is set to be extracted next week, on Wednesday.

My front tooth still hurts.

I was eating soup today that was warm and when it touched my lower left 1st molar, I got that familiar jolt of sensitivity pain. Then it did it again when I was brushing my teeth. My life stinks right now. Another tooth is going bad.

I just had my upper left 2nd molar extracted...the one that had all the work done. It was surprisingly an easy extraction, and came out intact. The oral surgeon said it was ready to come out, as it was mobile and irritated. No infection, and no visible crack, which was surprising, as there was no visible reason as to why the root canal and all the subsequent treatments did not work.
I was at my dentist yesterday to check on the fron tooth that had a root canal two weeks ago. It is still tender and the gums are sore. She wonders if I have an allergy to something in the root canal cement, and that may be why root canals don't seem to take with me. She is hopeful that eventually the front tooth will settle, as the x ray showed that the infection had shrunk even more. Only time will tell.

Back