• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

My strange and unusual dental journey (root canal, wisdom tooth, filling and more)

M

MountainMama

Two days past surgery. I am super swollen and glad it is over. My bottom jaw is twice its size. My upper lip looks like I had collagen injections, and my nose and the right side of my face are super puffy. Everything feels tight. The pain is much less today, though. I have just taken tylenol today. Nothing stronger.
It is still unreal to have the tooth out. I took out the flipper yesterday for the first time and almost cried. It feels so strange and looks awful, but it is temporary. I am getting better about taking it out but am still wearing it at night, since the swelling is so bad. The surgeon said to leave it in day and night until the swelling goes down, so that it won't swell too much and make it hard to put back in.
Honestly, as much as I hate the flipper, it isn't too uncomfortable and I dread the thought of sleeping without it, because the space feels so weird.

Aurora10

Aurora10

Two days past surgery. I am super swollen and glad it is over. My bottom jaw is twice its size. My upper lip looks like I had collagen injections, and my nose and the right side of my face are super puffy. Everything feels tight. The pain is much less today, though. I have just taken tylenol today. Nothing stronger.
It is still unreal to have the tooth out. I took out the flipper yesterday for the first time and almost cried. It feels so strange and looks awful, but it is temporary. I am getting better about taking it out but am still wearing it at night, since the swelling is so bad. The surgeon said to leave it in day and night until the swelling goes down, so that it won't swell too much and make it hard to put back in.
Honestly, as much as I hate the flipper, it isn't too uncomfortable and I dread the thought of sleeping without it, because the space feels so weird.

I have just finished reading your story and I must tell you how brave you are! You are a heroine and I can't imagine how I'd cope in your situation. I hope everything settles down for you and things get 100pc better..

M

MountainMama

I have just finished reading your story and I must tell you how brave you are! You are a heroine and I can't imagine how I'd cope in your situation. I hope everything settles down for you and things get 100pc better..
Thank you! I don't know that I am that brave...I am a nervous mess still every time I enter the dentist office! I am just getting used to it, I guess...my new normal unfortunately.

B

Birmanclaws

Oh no. After all you have been through. I can’t offer any advice, accept to say that any time my implants have felt like they were throbbing it was a gum problem. I am so hoping that this is true for you.❤

M

MountainMama

Oh no. After all you have been through. I can’t offer any advice, accept to say that any time my implants have felt like they were throbbing it was a gum problem. I am so hoping that this is true for you.❤
That gives me hope! Thank you.

Aurora10

Aurora10

Thank you! I don't know that I am that brave...I am a nervous mess still every time I enter the dentist office! I am just getting used to it, I guess...my new normal unfortunately.
But the fact that you haven't given up makes you heroic! It all passes by in the end, this is just a phase and won't last forever. You're a really resilient person and you really should be proud of yourself 😀

M

MountainMama

But the fact that you haven't given up makes you heroic! It all passes by in the end, this is just a phase and won't last forever. You're a really resilient person and you really should be proud of yourself 😀
Thank you! One year ago I would have said there was no way I would ever make it through all this.

Aurora10

Aurora10

Thank you! One year ago I would have said there was no way I would ever make it through all this.
I know exactly what you mean! And yet here you are killing it with your courageous attitude. I was reading your posts and I just though I wish I could just have all the teeth that are bothering me at the moment, extracted! I'm just tired of root canal's, IV sedation, pain etc.
Sounds irrational I know...

M

MountainMama

I know exactly what you mean! And yet here you are killing it with your courageous attitude. I was reading your posts and I just though I wish I could just have all the teeth that are bothering me at the moment, extracted! I'm just tired of root canal's, IV sedation, pain etc.
Sounds irrational I know...
Not irrational at all. After two failed root canals, and two failed apicos, I will choose extraction every time now.

Aurora10

Aurora10

Not irrational at all. After two failed root canals, and two failed apicos, I will choose extraction every time now.
I honestly don't blame you one bit. There's few things worse than dental pain and the money it takes to do all these procedures is ridiculous..

M

MountainMama

It is now a little over a week past surgery (10 days). I did go to the oral surgeon last week, since the implant was throbbing. He said it didn't look infected, but was more swollen that he liked to see. He upped my antibiotics to 4x a day, and extended my prescription.

Over the weekend the swelling started to recede. Now it is Friday, 10 days past, and I am feeling good. My upper lip is still swollen a bit, and still quite numb, but it was like that after the apico as well. Hopefully the feeling will come back, but there was some nerve damage after the apico, so who knows? However it is a small price to pay for having the infection gone! I have more energy than I have in years!
The flipper is getting to where is isn't very comfortable again. I see the oral surgeon on Tuesday, so I am going to see if he can take a look.

Hoping everything just continues to get better!

R

Rio I

@MountainMama,

Do you think infected tooth can spread to the neighbour tooth ? like in your diary, i am now experience sensitivity pain in premolar, this tooth is beside my Root canal molar that have infection that will be re-treated by endo. Read your story i feeling afraid that this infection will spread to other tooth

M

MountainMama

@MountainMama,

Do you think infected tooth can spread to the neighbour tooth ? like in your diary, i am now experience sensitivity pain in premolar, this tooth is beside my Root canal molar that have infection that will be re-treated by endo. Read your story i feeling afraid that this infection will spread to other tooth
My endodontist told me it is very rare for an infection to spread to other teeth. I would think if it was common, my two top teeth surrounding the one that had the huge abscess would be affected.

M

MountainMama

@MountainMama,

Sorry, I gave a quick reply, but now that I have more time I wanted to explain more. My endodontist originally thought my infection may have impacted the lateral incisor, but only because my abscess had been there for at least two years, undetected. On the x ray, the edge of the abscess was actually touching the root of the lateral incisor. However, she said it was very rare for that to happen, as the infection usually starts from within the tooth, then spreads out the tip of the root, which is when you can get an abscess. Even then, it is usually only with the affected tooth.
Mine ended up not affected. The tooth was really sore and hurt for several weeks, but she told me is was probably due to referred pain, and from more pressure due to trying to avoid using the front tooth, which changes the way you bite. Yours is probably hurting and more sensitive for the same reason. My lateral incisor was super sensitive to heat and cold for awhile as well, but it tapered off.

R

Rio I

Thanks @MountainMama

read your story, i just wonder, why after treated by dentist another tooth suddenly fall. I also experienced that for my first root canal on my upper left molar (5 yrs ago) at almost same time my upper right molar also ache and finally need rct and crown as well. Make me think the teeth work like a system to reject foreign material(root canal material)/dead tooth/infection.
I took 2 days Metronidazole and my premolar now not sensitive to knock/warm water. Hopefully it last while i am still nervous for my Re-RCT next Friday for my upper molar.

M

MountainMama

Thanks @MountainMama

read your story, i just wonder, why after treated by dentist another tooth suddenly fall. I also experienced that for my first root canal on my upper left molar (5 yrs ago) at almost same time my upper right molar also ache and finally need rct and crown as well. Make me think the teeth work like a system to reject foreign material(root canal material)/dead tooth/infection.
I took 2 days Metronidazole and my premolar now not sensitive to knock/warm water. Hopefully it last while i am still nervous for my Re-RCT next Friday for my upper molar.
My situation is definitely unusual, with so many issues cropping up at once. One of my surgeon's theories is that it could be autoimmune, a reaction to the abscess.

Otherwise it is completely normal for teeth next to a "worked on" tooth to hurt and be sensitive for a while. I have had it with every procedure I have had. It still causes anxiety and worry, even though I know it is normal.

M

MountainMama

It has been 5 weeks after my surgery. I was a little nervous last week, because I was having the same pain alongside my nose as before, but I think it was actually due to sinus pressure this time, because it shifted from the side the surgery was on to the other side, which has never hurt before.
Then the past three days, my other front tooth has been hurting...kind of a sensitive type pain, like when it gets something cold on it, but more achy. Again, I panicked but reminded myself that tooth has never had work or a cavity so very unlikely has an issue. Easy to say, but I was very happy that it hasn't hurt today.
Today is the first day that the flipper isn't uncomfortable, which is great!

M

MountainMama

Yesterday I got a really bad head cold. Ugh. It is making my front tooth extraction site ache off and on, along with the neighbouring teeth. I tried to gently blow my nose and right above the extraction site, where the bone wrap/grafting was done started hurting. I am really trying to not stress over it. I know it is the head cold amplifying everything.

On a positive note, I am weaning off the antidepressants that I started on last year. My doctor recommended them because I was so depressed after all the issues with my teeth hit. After getting the infection out, I have been feeling so much better, so I am going off them.

Aurora10

Aurora10

Yesterday I got a really bad head cold. Ugh. It is making my front tooth extraction site ache off and on, along with the neighbouring teeth. I tried to gently blow my nose and right above the extraction site, where the bone wrap/grafting was done started hurting. I am really trying to not stress over it. I know it is the head cold amplifying everything.

On a positive note, I am weaning off the antidepressants that I started on last year. My doctor recommended them because I was so depressed after all the issues with my teeth hit. After getting the infection out, I have been feeling so much better, so I am going off them.
Poor you, that is frustrating for you. Try not to worry.
I'm so glad you are feeling well.enough to come off the antidepressants, that's a big step and just shows how far you have come!

R

Rio I

Thanks @MountainMama

It seems my premolar (next to the molat that have retreatment RCT) really have issue. I am on holiday now and it really pain and now start have gum abscess. I took emergency antibiotik and painkiller before seeing doctor. It seems it will have RCT as well. Why it happened at same time :(