• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

My strange and unusual dental journey (root canal, wisdom tooth, filling and more)

A

AshNaz

Mountain Mama - I am so happy for you! You deserve a break for sure. I hope that they are working well for you. I am going through the process now with my implant surgery in May so I have been following you to see how it goes and what to expect. Thank you so much for the information about your journey!

M

MountainMama

So happy for you! How are you making out with them?
The bottom implants are great! Nothing hurts and I can chew with them just fine after a little weirdness. I have to be careful, still, because last night I was eating and got a sharp pain twice in the upper first molar opposite the implants. That tooth isn’t sensitive to heat or cold so I am hoping it is either that I need another adjustment on the crowns and it is hitting high or that tooth is just sore from the flipper (it hooks around that one). I am not going to even entertain the thought of another cracked tooth! I don’t even know how it would happen, because that tooth had zero issues prior to the lower one being extracted, and hasn’t been used in a year, so how would it crack?

M

MountainMama

Mountain Mama - I am so happy for you! You deserve a break for sure. I hope that they are working well for you. I am going through the process now with my implant surgery in May so I have been following you to see how it goes and what to expect. Thank you so much for the information about your journey!
I am thrilled with the implants. It is so nice to not have pain and not worry about the nerve going bad or cracks! I am very happy I went this route! You will be glad, too, once it is all over.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
:perfect: :love::welldone::cheer2: So glad you are thrilled with them!!! So happy to hear this!!

M

MountainMama

:perfect: :love::welldone::cheer2: So glad you are thrilled with them!!! So happy to hear this!!
Yes! They look fantastic, too, which was a concern of mine. The only other crown I have ever had was awful. It was too big and didn’t even look like a tooth to me. These look natural.

M

MountainMama

I think something is wrong with my front tooth implant. 😭 Ever since Wednesday, when the dentist put in (then took out) the abutment and did a lot of pushing and tugging on the implant, it has been hurting. The pain is increasing each day and there is a feeling of pressure in the area as well. I am terrified now, because this morning even Tylenol isn’t helping with the pain. It feels like there is a bubble inside where the implant is, pushing outward. I had thought it was just pain from the gums, but the pain is coming from the implant now, deep inside. I am worried that maybe it is failing and has moved a bit or has infection building around it. I still have to make it until Monday. I don’t even know if I call the dentist or the surgeon?

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mountainmama..

ohnooo. aghh.. Do they have an emergency number and protocol you can just call and let them know what is going on? so sorry to hear this is happening...

M

MountainMama

Mountainmama..

ohnooo. aghh.. Do they have an emergency number and protocol you can just call and let them know what is going on? so sorry to hear this is happening...
There is an answering machine that the dentist supposedly checks. I haven’t called though. I really hate to bother them on the weekend. Thankfully two extra strength Tylenol and an ice pack have reduced the pain. Now it just the pressure. If the pain comes back again as strong I will probably call.

B

Birmanclaws

I saw in another post that your dentist put in a larger healing cap to stretch your gums; could this be the cause of the pain?

Whenever I have gum issues around my implants the implants themselves feel like they are alive they throb so much. I have to keep reminding myself that there are no nerves or feelings in an implant!

Call your dentist and make an appointment to make sure all is well. Thinking of you.

M

MountainMama

I saw in another post that your dentist put in a larger healing cap to stretch your gums; could this be the cause of the pain?

Whenever I have gum issues around my implants the implants themselves feel like they are alive they throb so much. I have to keep reminding myself that there are no nerves or feelings in an implant!

Call your dentist and make an appointment to make sure all is well. Thinking of you.
I am hoping that is the cause, but it just seems odd that I have the pain specifically under my nose, right up where the root tip of the tooth used to be as well. I am hoping that is just from the shot although it is odd it hasn’t gone away yet.
I am going to call tomorrow about flossing technique so I will see if they can also look at the implant.

M

MountainMama

So I got in Monday and the dentist thinks the pain was a combo of the healing cap stretching the gums and my nightguard pressing against the back of the gums. He ground out a part of my nightguard and that helped. However, as I can’t seem to resolve one issue without causing another, the past two nights I have woken up multiple times with sharp pain around my lower first molar implant. It also feels weird today, kind of like an achy awareness but not painful. I am guessing adjusting the nightguard made it so it is hitting more on that implant crown now. I am going to call today and ask for him to look at the nightguard fit again. He has got to be so tired of me. 😔

M

MountainMama

I have an appointment for Tuesday, which is the earliest they could get me in. I have a terrible, sinking feeling my implant for the first molar is failing. The pain is constant now, even with Tylenol. It hurts to bite on, and there is a pain in my jaw directly under the implant that is getting worse. It hurts more now than it did earlier today. I am terrified of how bad it will get by Tuesday.

A

AshNaz

I have an appointment for Tuesday, which is the earliest they could get me in. I have a terrible, sinking feeling my implant for the first molar is failing. The pain is constant now, even with Tylenol. It hurts to bite on, and there is a pain in my jaw directly under the implant that is getting worse. It hurts more now than it did earlier today. I am terrified of how bad it will get by Tuesday.
How are you feeling? I am so sorry that this is happening. Are your other implants ok? I know that with my molars that failed I always struggled with - is this part of the healing process and be patient or this is a problem - which feels like forever in the moment. :(

M

MountainMama

How are you feeling? I am so sorry that this is happening. Are your other implants ok? I know that with my molars that failed I always struggled with - is this part of the healing process and be patient or this is a problem - which feels like forever in the moment. :(
Were yours implants that failed? I am curious because I have no idea what to expect.
The pain is not too bad today but I am avoiding chewing altogether. My jaw feels like there is a lot of pressure in it.

A

AshNaz

No - they were normal teeth that had drilling then irreversible pulpitas followed by extraction (5 month ordeal). I am set to get an implant for one of my molars in May. I sure hope that you feel better soon and that they can give you some good input on Tues.

M

MountainMama

No - they were normal teeth that had drilling then irreversible pulpitas followed by extraction (5 month ordeal). I am set to get an implant for one of my molars in May. I sure hope that you feel better soon and that they can give you some good input on Tues.
Thanks. I know it is rare for implants to fail but I seem to always be in the rare complications group. I still have pain but I am not chewing at all now so it doesn’t hurt much. Something is wrong, though. There is so much pressure in my jaw.

M

MountainMama

I went back to the dentist today. The xrays showed nothing for the implants, and he flossed and found no issues but the pain was still there. He referred me back to the oral surgeon who placed them. Earliest appointment is March 31, but they said to call and check for cancellations earlier.
The front tooth he believes is fine. He said the larger healing cap is flared and may be putting pressure on the gums. He switched it to a smaller cap and said to let him know if it helped. (He had to swap it 3 times and do x rays each time before being satisfied with the fit, and no anesthesia this time so OW). He said the X-ray of the front implant looked beautiful so he doesn’t think there is an issue.

M

MountainMama

Called the oral surgeons office today and asked about cancellations. She acted like she didn’t know what I was calling about, and asked if I was getting a redo of the implant. I told her that my dentists office had already called and made an appointment for the oral surgeon to see me to check the implants but that it was for three weeks from now and I just wanted to see if I could get in earlier. She said she would ask the surgeon directly and call me back. She called me later and said the surgeon wanted to see me Monday, so I am getting in earlier to check the implants.

M

MountainMama

I was expecting to have to wait until September to get my front tooth crown seated, since covid-19 has shut down the dental offices, and then my dentist is on leave until September. However, my dentist’s office called today and asked if I could come in on Monday at 11:00 to get the crown seated. They want to get the crowns in before the dentist goes on leave. They are keeping the doors locked and only allowing one patient at a time in. So hopefully I will have my front tooth next week!

A

AshNaz

I am so happy for you! I hope everything goes well. How are your other implants doing?