• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

My strange and unusual dental journey (root canal, wisdom tooth, filling and more)

M

MountainMama

I am so happy for you! I hope everything goes well. How are your other implants doing?
The back molar is doing fine. I am still having some sensitivity with the first molar but it doesn’t hurt like it did. I am wondering if it is a nerve issue, like neuralgia. I just hope the front tooth is the right color this time!

A

AshNaz

I am glad to hear that you are doing better and that they can get you in. I am sure that your new tooth will be correct this time and how nice that you can get in.

M

MountainMama

I got my front tooth crown seated today. It fits great but the dentist still wasn’t happy with the color. He went ahead and cemented it, saying we could redo it if needed later. My gums were super tight, and are really compressed right now (actually bluish white), so he wanted to give it two weeks to see if they relax down. If not, he will have to cut them, but he said that would not look as nice so he hopes they will stretch on their own. It feels nice to have a tooth again but the color is still a little off. It was too light last time, but this time he said it was a little darker. 343DB262-CA43-4E2F-B6D1-AC4FB5164DA5.jpeg

A

AshNaz

I am so happy that you got this completed. How are you feeling? Is there a reason why the gums were tight? I am just curious as I will be going through this process starting in Mid May (hopefully).

M

MountainMama

I am so happy that you got this completed. How are you feeling? Is there a reason why the gums were tight? I am just curious as I will be going through this process starting in Mid May (hopefully).
They put in a small healing cap to start with. So the “hole” created by the gums for the tooth was smaller than the hole needed for the tooth to fit. The oral surgeon told me at my last appointment that he thought I was getting a screw retained front tooth, but it is actually cemented. I don’t know if that made a difference in the size of the healing cap used or not. Or maybe my gums just really went crazy growing back? Lol. I just hope they stretch. I don’t want more work done if I can avoid it. It hurts though. It is a pinchy, pressure feeling. He said to expect that.

A

AshNaz

Got it - thank you for letting me know. I hope that you feel better soon - I will be sending good mojo for your gums to stretch :). I think that the tooth looks good.

M

MountainMama

Got it - thank you for letting me know. I hope that you feel better soon - I will be sending good mojo for your gums to stretch :). I think that the tooth looks good.
Thank you! The dentist has me a little paranoid, since he said it was off still in color.

G

Gilbo

Wow MountainMama. I've just read your whole story and can't nearly believe all that you've gone through! You said right at the beginning that you have trouble getting numbed up for dental work, which makes me wonder if you may have red hair? As that is a well known cause for needing more anaesthetic than most!
It's good to see that you could still get treatment during the whole 'Covid-19' thing, as here in the UK, I don't think that a single dentist is working anymore and not since mid-March, except for emergency surgery that is.
As I am 'between dentists', I can't get treatment anywhere anymore, not even for an emergency! Our '111' service, a kind of phone and online helpline for anything medical and dental tried to help me, but all I could get was one more course of antibiotics, which have dulled my root-canalled tooth pain just a bit. I love the way they said to me at the end of the call, "I'm sorry, but there really isn't any help out there for you while all this is going on." Great. I may as well be stuck on the moon!
I'm still having trouble with my tongue/tooth-gap problem and wonder if I'll ever get used to it? You said it took a couple of months for you and I'm coming up to that. I can handle it for one or two days of the week, but then seem to slip backwards into NOT handling it at all! I use a night-guard sometimes, but try to do without it. I think I could really do with something like the 'flipper' you mention. I know what such a device is, though I don't think it's used much over here. I'm sure it would solve most of my problems for a while, especially as I now believe that my first molar on the right upper side (the RCT I mentioned earlier) will probably have to come out too!

I'm amazed at how much work you get done in the US, we have our NHS service, which is a lot cheaper than going private, but they apparently only do as little work as necessary to keep your teeth in a basic, healthy state. I will either (eventually) need one or two bridges, or, if I can manage to raise the funds for them, a couple of implants, to hopefully put me back to 'normal', whatever that is! Although I will need to break into a private pension and raid that, as I no longer work, having had to give up working to care for my disabled partner.

I think what people have said, that you are courageous or heroic has some truth to it. It's the way things are thrown at us, whether we can handle them or not, that is the real proof of our strength! I have cancer too, but the problem I have had with my teeth since last October, is the real test of my 'mettle'! Only time will tell if I am strong enough to handle both of them. If the dentists ever go back to work that is!

From your story, you sure sound like a hero!

M

MountainMama

Wow MountainMama. I've just read your whole story and can't nearly believe all that you've gone through! You said right at the beginning that you have trouble getting numbed up for dental work, which makes me wonder if you may have red hair? As that is a well known cause for needing more anaesthetic than most!
It's good to see that you could still get treatment during the whole 'Covid-19' thing, as here in the UK, I don't think that a single dentist is working anymore and not since mid-March, except for emergency surgery that is.
As I am 'between dentists', I can't get treatment anywhere anymore, not even for an emergency! Our '111' service, a kind of phone and online helpline for anything medical and dental tried to help me, but all I could get was one more course of antibiotics, which have dulled my root-canalled tooth pain just a bit. I love the way they said to me at the end of the call, "I'm sorry, but there really isn't any help out there for you while all this is going on." Great. I may as well be stuck on the moon!
I'm still having trouble with my tongue/tooth-gap problem and wonder if I'll ever get used to it? You said it took a couple of months for you and I'm coming up to that. I can handle it for one or two days of the week, but then seem to slip backwards into NOT handling it at all! I use a night-guard sometimes, but try to do without it. I think I could really do with something like the 'flipper' you mention. I know what such a device is, though I don't think it's used much over here. I'm sure it would solve most of my problems for a while, especially as I now believe that my first molar on the right upper side (the RCT I mentioned earlier) will probably have to come out too!

I'm amazed at how much work you get done in the US, we have our NHS service, which is a lot cheaper than going private, but they apparently only do as little work as necessary to keep your teeth in a basic, healthy state. I will either (eventually) need one or two bridges, or, if I can manage to raise the funds for them, a couple of implants, to hopefully put me back to 'normal', whatever that is! Although I will need to break into a private pension and raid that, as I no longer work, having had to give up working to care for my disabled partner.

I think what people have said, that you are courageous or heroic has some truth to it. It's the way things are thrown at us, whether we can handle them or not, that is the real proof of our strength! I have cancer too, but the problem I have had with my teeth since last October, is the real test of my 'mettle'! Only time will tell if I am strong enough to handle both of them. If the dentists ever go back to work that is!

From your story, you sure sound like a hero!
Thank you for your kind words, but I do not feel heroic. All this dental stuff was thrown at me at once and it was sink or swim. I have two young kids so I had to swim. I have struggled a lot, but finally am on the other side, with the worst of it over with.
I think you are right that the US does more intervention work, but we pay so much for it! I am lucky that we have been able to afford it, although we have gone into debt to do so. I have had to stop working during this Covid nightmare, but thankfully my husband has a good job (for now).
It sounds like US dentists are not as restricted as to what they can do. The American Dental Association put out “guidelines” and the state governors called for closures, but the dental offices have the freedom to decide what constitutes an emergency. They are just required to follow strict guidelines with only one patient at a time, sanitize everything, and lots of protective gear.
I am sorry you are going through what you are. It will get better but the uncertainty is what bothered me the most. I don’t know if I would have handled things as well if my mess had been in the middle of the Covid crisis!

G

Gilbo

Well like I say, none of us are heroes, though people can mistake that, when hearing such a tale of dental woes, that are thrust upon us!

Like Gordon, this site's retired Scottish dentist said to me, it's not that dentist's won't do what you ask out of spite, but that they have to follow an oath of sorts, to protect their patients. I thought it was the 'Hippocratic Oath' from the days of Hippocrates, but apparently no, they don't take that one, but they do take an oath of some kind. So I shall wait for someone to correct me on that!

But anyway, it means that dentists won't do whatever you want them to, but will do what they consider to be the best treatment for you. In my case, I just hope that my dentist agrees with me, that something needs to be done, in order to 'fill the gap'!

I had my night guard in again last night, for the first time in half a week and woke up with a mouth full of blood! So I'm going to have to soak it in really hot water this time and maybe even cut a small slit in it somewhere, just so that it will fit me better! I bought some online that you mould to fit yourself, but they soften up too fast and if one piece touches another piece, then that's it! It's stuck together forever and you may as well just throw it out!

I almost wish that I had access to an American dentist, but I wouldn't have the many thousands needed of course, for the treatment that I require. Looking at some peoples stories too, I thought that if you needed treatment, then your insurance would automatically cover everything! But so it seems, that isn't always the case!

This darned Covid thing, seems more like a war, where we are all fighting against one bug, but one that won't let you get your teeth fixed! I don't know how many more months I can stand this thing, but I just wish my mother had let me have the braces I asked for, then I'm sure I wouldn't be in this mess to begin with!

I really hope that, for you, all your dental problems are now behind you. No one should have to suffer continously with any health problem and we all deserve a break! I just hope mine comes sooner, rather than later.
All the best for your future MountainMama!

M

MountainMama

I haven’t updated in awhile. I still have had random pain here and there and in the past few months it has jumped to teeth that haven’t had work. So I went back to the oral surgeon today. He said my implants look fantastic and that he wishes all his patients had bone and gum healing like I did. He said he would call my “diagnosis” atypical facial pain but that I would have to see a neurologist for it to be official. I am not keen on medication so would like to avoid that if possible, but yesterday my back molar hurt so bad I would have gladly pulled it out myself if I could have. Today, nothing.
I am seeing my primary care physician next week. The surgeon said I should follow up to make sure nothing else is an underlying factor.

A

AshNaz

Mountain Mama - I am finally having my top molar implant placed tomorrow (yikes!) and it made me think of you - how are you doing? Any insight on pain levels post implants etc? I am happy to be going to the next step but not looking forward to renewed pain after I have been relatively pain free for a few months.

M

MountainMama

Mountain Mama - I am finally having my top molar implant placed tomorrow (yikes!) and it made me think of you - how are you doing? Any insight on pain levels post implants etc? I am happy to be going to the next step but not looking forward to renewed pain after I have been relatively pain free for a few months.
Good luck! All of my implants were different in terms of pain levels. The lower second molar hurt only after the numbing wore off and only a little...Tylenol took care of it. The first lower molar hurt quite a bit after the numbness wore off, but I didn’t keep up with taking my Tylenol on time, so that was my fault. The upper implant was the easiest and it didn’t hardly hurt at all. The gums were sore from being stitched but the pain was minimal...nothing compared to the extraction pain.

A

AshNaz

Mountain Mama - thank you so much for your response and I apologize for the tardiness of my thanks for it :). Had my implant placed - was so worried that I was going to relive the pain of last year, but so far....knock on wood.....it is very similar to what your experience was and the tylenol with codeine that I have seems to be doing the trick. So optimistic at this point - and I agree - the sites in my mouth where the shots were and the gum cut/suture is where I seem to be sensing things now, but nothing like the extraction. Thank you again for our insight - it was super helpful.

M

MountainMama

Mountain Mama - thank you so much for your response and I apologize for the tardiness of my thanks for it :). Had my implant placed - was so worried that I was going to relive the pain of last year, but so far....knock on wood.....it is very similar to what your experience was and the tylenol with codeine that I have seems to be doing the trick. So optimistic at this point - and I agree - the sites in my mouth where the shots were and the gum cut/suture is where I seem to be sensing things now, but nothing like the extraction. Thank you again for our insight - it was super helpful.
I am so glad it went well!!!