• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My strange and unusual dental journey (root canal, wisdom tooth, filling and more)

I still can’t believe they didn’t stitch closed that bone graft at the dentist office sad I may have to do yet another one. Glad though things are going well ?

I guess the dentist has always done it that way. I just hope that enough bone grows before September that more bone grafting isn't necessary.

Omg I just read your entire thread. You poor thing. My teeth hurt just reading it. I am going through something similar but not nearly as bad. I had one molar on right crowned a month ago. Now molar on other side broke. They say they will try to just crown it. I'm worried it will be a root canal though. Its like I got down with one side and then the other side screws up.

Omg I just read your entire thread. You poor thing. My teeth hurt just reading it. I am going through something similar but not nearly as bad. I had one molar on right crowned a month ago. Now molar on other side broke. They say they will try to just crown it. I'm worried it will be a root canal though. Its like I got down with one side and then the other side screws up.

Oh I hope you don't need a root canal, and that thw crown fixes it! I am so anxious that as soon as I get the implants, the teeth above them are going to crack. I have this awful feeling that it is just going to be a never-ending issue tooth by tooth. I know there has to be an end...I just hope it isn't where I lose all my teeth! My extraction still hasn't completely healed and I am still losing grafting particles.

Oh I hope you don't need a root canal, and that thw crown fixes it! I am so anxious that as soon as I get the implants, the teeth above them are going to crack. I have this awful feeling that it is just going to be a never-ending issue tooth by tooth. I know there has to be an end...I just hope it isn't where I lose all my teeth! My extraction still hasn't completely healed and I am still losing grafting particles.
I know what u mean. I keep thinking I'm going to end up losing all my teeth. I hope u heal up real soon and there are no.more issues!

The front tooth is hurting again. I was given more antibiotics but they didn't work. I have an appointment scheduled at my dentist on July 9 to get impressions done for a flipper, and they will coordinate with the oral surgeon for extraction and bone grafting and implant. Ugh. I am so tired of losing teeth. I go from healthy teeth to losing four in one year.

The front tooth is hurting again. I was given more antibiotics but they didn't work. I have an appointment scheduled at my dentist on July 9 to get impressions done for a flipper, and they will coordinate with the oral surgeon for extraction and bone grafting and implant. Ugh. I am so tired of losing teeth. I go from healthy teeth to losing four in one year.
I’m so sorry to hear this. Sending you lots of good wishes and hoping things get better!

Back from vacation! No issues with flying and toothaches at all. I still have pain in my bottom two molars, but it didn't get worse while on vacation.

I actually had a motor scooter accident on the island, though. Scooters are the main transportation (small Caribbean island), and mine malfunctioned. The handlebars locked up and I couldn't turn and ran straight into a concrete wall, thankfully wearing a helmet! I hit the side of my face on the wall, and have bruising on my lower jaw, and pain in both upper and lower jaw, along with pain in both jaw joints, but nothing broken! The doctor in the hospital there said my jaw was fine, but that I needed to follow up with my dentist to check my teeth. The top first molar jas occasional pain that comes and goes, but I expect that is normal after a trauma such as that. No broken bones, but lots of bruising.

Glad you had no issues with your teeth. but sorry to hear of the accident! :grouphug:

Glad you had no issues with your teeth. but sorry to hear of the accident! :grouphug:

Thanks! I think everything is fine with the accident. I didn't have any worse pain in my teeth once the swelling in my jaw went down. The doctor at the hospital said it was basically like getting punched in the jaw. I will ask my dentist about it at my next cleaning/checkup.

This is neverending. Now my 2nd molar on the bottom left is getting more painful. The dentist wants to crown the 1st molar in front of it, as he has said it is cracked. The 2nd molar, I know it is cracked. It is where I had pain about a month ago and wondered if it was fractured. The dentist took an x ray and said it was fine. It isn't fine. After my cleaning last week, it has gotton more painful. Yesterday it actually had shooting pain. I am out of state, and it is the weekend, of course. The pain was mostly in my jaw, but now it is concentrated in my tooth now.

I'm so sorry for all you've had to endure. It feels like the more you do, the more you have to do. I had a similar struggle and it is so frustrating. Wishing you a quick, painfree resolution soon.

I’m so sorry to hear this. I’m going through a similar never-ending journey and I sure hope your happy ending is in sight. I haven’t even written an update or asked a question on this site in awhile because the ongoing pain and new issues are leaving me feeling hopeless and depressed. I’m hoping you find relief soon and can find a way to stay positive! Thinking of you!! Hang in there. ❤️

I’m so sorry to hear this. I’m going through a similar never-ending journey and I sure hope your end is in sight. I haven’t even written an update or asked a question on this site in awhile because the ongoing pain and new issues are leaving me feeling hopeless and depressed. I’m hoping you find relief soon and can find a way to stay positive! Thinking of you!! Hang in there. ❤️

I really hate this for both of us. It seems like one issue gets fixed and another one starts up. Nothing works and I spend a lot of money just to end up shelling out more to get it extracted and get an implant. It is a never ending cycle. I have already lost 3 molars, am losing my front tooth, and now have another molar on the way out.

MountainMama, I've just read all of this and I'm so sorry to see what a rough time you've been having. I hope for you that there's not going to be any problems in the future. Hang in there, and keep us posted :XXLhug:

So now, to add to the neverending saga, the extraction/bone grafting done at the dentist for my first molar started hurting last week, off and on, in my jaw. Pieces of grafting material started working their way up through the gums again. The gums over the site are sore. A larger than usual chunk of white has been working its way up all week, and it looks bigger than the usual small particles...like the size of a grain of rice. This morning I woke up with the taste of blood in my mouth, and the grafting site is red and raw looking, like it has been bleeding. It was done three months ago! It should be healed now! Ugh.
I called the dentist's office and was told it isn't uncommon. That doesn't reassure me.

Last edited:
Oh no, you can’t catch a break! Hopefully it doesn’t mean a big setback. Can they get you in to take a look and reassure you with an actual exam? I am sending well wishes your way.

Oh no, you can’t catch a break! Hopefully it doesn’t mean a big setback. Can they get you in to take a look and reassure you with an actual exam? I am sending well wishes your way.

It looks worse today. The entire extraction site is now white, like the gums opened up and the grafting is showing. Why would this happen at three months after?
I am going to call again today, but they are not open until Monday, so I will have to leave a message.

Thinking you MountainMama.. I sure hope you can get some solid answers and help ... :grouphug:

I have an appointment on Monday, first thing. They have my nightguard and flipper ready, so they went ahead and bumped that appointment up.

So I forgot to update after my appointment. The dentist said it wasn't unusual to still have grafting material coming out.
My appointment to extract my front tooth is Tuesday, and I am freaking out. In that one appointment, which is scheduled for one hour and twenty minutes, I will have the front tooth extracted, bone grafting, the gums on the front tooth pulled back and a bone block wrap put in where I had the apicoectomy, and if the bone under the tooth looks good, he will put the implant in. Also, he is going to put the lower molar implant in, as long as the bone looks good when he cuts it open. He said he is pretty sure he will have to add bone grafting to that implant as well, based on how much the grafting material has been coming out.

I am really trying not to freak out too much. I have gotten better about handling the actual surgeries, but I am still scared of the recovery and that something will go wrong. I am not sleeping well at all.

I am really worried about the pain in recovery. Since I can't take ibuprofen, the oral surgeon is prescribing tramadol, which I can take with acetaminophen. He is also going to prescribe four pills of oxycodone, for breakthrough pain on the first couple days. I have never taken it, and am really nervous about it. My husband is taking off work on the day of the surgery and the following day.

I will be glad when it is over though.

So far, I am still having pain in my lower left jaw, and in the back tooth. It comes and goes and is not as strong as before so I am just ignoring it for now. The first molar is still really sensitive to heat and cold, but it doesn't linger, so I am hoping the nerve is okay for now. I am not chewing anything harder than pasta.

Back