• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My strange and unusual dental journey (root canal, wisdom tooth, filling and more)

Impressions were done today. I was NOT prepared for what they were going to do. I thought it would just be typical impressions.
The dentist had to take the healing caps off, then put in impression posts (which were too long and I couldn’t close my teeth together). Then they did an x ray with the posts in, then impressions.
Taking out the healing cap on my second molar implant hurt badly. I noticed the healing cap was bloody when he put it on the tray. Putting the healing cap back in, though, was excruciating. I cried and actually came up out of the chair to stop him. He apologized and said it was probably pinching the gums and that he would put a topical numbing gel on next time.
Ouch. My mouth still hurts.
I go back February 24 for the crowns!

Mountainmama,

Aghh. so sorry what you went through and that hurting.. the way you describe it my mouth almost hurts thinking about it.. I sure hope its a lot better next time and no pain. Hopefully they will give you something to make sure there is no pain or discomfort... Glad the impressions are done !

I’m so sorry! Glad that is over for you and hopefully next time is pain-free. I wish they had given you anesthetic first!

I am also sorry that this was so unanticipated. I appreciate you sharing your information. I am going to start the process for my implants this year and it is super helpful to know what the various steps are. I am excited for your crowns! You deserve to be done with all of this!

I am also sorry that this was so unanticipated. I appreciate you sharing your information. I am going to start the process for my implants this year and it is super helpful to know what the various steps are. I am excited for your crowns! You deserve to be done with all of this!
Thank you! I am one of those people that likes to be prepared so it caught me off guard. I would have taken some Tylenol before the appointment and requested numbing if I had known.

I go to the dentist for my cleaning tomorrow. I have been having a new symptomatic tooth, which I have been ignoring, thinking it was just from clenching against my night guard. It is my front bottom tooth, left side. The gums between that tooth and the one next to it (lateral incisor) have bee feeling irritated but not red or swollen. Today the tooth (or the lateral incisor...can’t tell exactly) had been really hurting with a sharp pain that won’t go away. I am praying it is just clenching. I cannot deal with another front tooth issue, even if it is the bottom tooth this time.

MountainMama - how did your cleaning go? Funny enough, I had my 2nd cleaning today since I had my two molars pulled and I was nervous about the neighbor teeth. Turns out it went ok, but I was shallow breathing for sure. I hope that you are feeling better and getting a break for all of the crazy.

The cleaning was okay. I had a very lovely hygienist who I will now request from now on! She noticed right off that my lower first molar was sensitive so she didn’t squirt the cold water on my teeth. She would put some on my tongue and let me swish it instead.
They took a 3D x ray and the lower first molar has a large crack but it isn’t to the pulp chamber. No sign of decay under the old filling but the filling is right up against the nerve. He wants to crown the tooth. I know it is going to end up as another extraction. I just don’t know whether to crown it and see if it helps or hold off and just let it go until I can’t handle the pain anymore and then extract it.

I am so happy that you found a good hygienist - that makes it so much easier. Argh I am sorry to hear that you have another tooth to deal with. So incredibly frustrating! I dont know what the best course would be but given my personal experience with a similar issue - I might lean towards leaving it be until it is a problem. The two molars that I had pulled over the course of 5 months last year all started with fixing a smaller problem and then they escalated so I get the concern for sure.

Dentists office called. One of my crowns will not be ready on Monday so they are rescheduling me for Wednesday instead. I was soooooo ready to get those teeth in!

The two bottom molar implants are in! The dentist wasn’t happy with the front tooth implant or abutment so he is sending those back. I go back in a month to get that done.

The two bottom molar implants are in! The dentist wasn’t happy with the front tooth implant or abutment so he is sending those back. I go back in a month to get that done.
So happy for you! How are you making out with them?

Mountain Mama - I am so happy for you! You deserve a break for sure. I hope that they are working well for you. I am going through the process now with my implant surgery in May so I have been following you to see how it goes and what to expect. Thank you so much for the information about your journey!

So happy for you! How are you making out with them?
The bottom implants are great! Nothing hurts and I can chew with them just fine after a little weirdness. I have to be careful, still, because last night I was eating and got a sharp pain twice in the upper first molar opposite the implants. That tooth isn’t sensitive to heat or cold so I am hoping it is either that I need another adjustment on the crowns and it is hitting high or that tooth is just sore from the flipper (it hooks around that one). I am not going to even entertain the thought of another cracked tooth! I don’t even know how it would happen, because that tooth had zero issues prior to the lower one being extracted, and hasn’t been used in a year, so how would it crack?

Mountain Mama - I am so happy for you! You deserve a break for sure. I hope that they are working well for you. I am going through the process now with my implant surgery in May so I have been following you to see how it goes and what to expect. Thank you so much for the information about your journey!
I am thrilled with the implants. It is so nice to not have pain and not worry about the nerve going bad or cracks! I am very happy I went this route! You will be glad, too, once it is all over.

:perfect: :love::welldone::cheer2: So glad you are thrilled with them!!! So happy to hear this!!

:perfect: :love::welldone::cheer2: So glad you are thrilled with them!!! So happy to hear this!!
Yes! They look fantastic, too, which was a concern of mine. The only other crown I have ever had was awful. It was too big and didn’t even look like a tooth to me. These look natural.

I think something is wrong with my front tooth implant. ? Ever since Wednesday, when the dentist put in (then took out) the abutment and did a lot of pushing and tugging on the implant, it has been hurting. The pain is increasing each day and there is a feeling of pressure in the area as well. I am terrified now, because this morning even Tylenol isn’t helping with the pain. It feels like there is a bubble inside where the implant is, pushing outward. I had thought it was just pain from the gums, but the pain is coming from the implant now, deep inside. I am worried that maybe it is failing and has moved a bit or has infection building around it. I still have to make it until Monday. I don’t even know if I call the dentist or the surgeon?

Mountainmama..

ohnooo. aghh.. Do they have an emergency number and protocol you can just call and let them know what is going on? so sorry to hear this is happening...

Mountainmama..

ohnooo. aghh.. Do they have an emergency number and protocol you can just call and let them know what is going on? so sorry to hear this is happening...

There is an answering machine that the dentist supposedly checks. I haven’t called though. I really hate to bother them on the weekend. Thankfully two extra strength Tylenol and an ice pack have reduced the pain. Now it just the pressure. If the pain comes back again as strong I will probably call.

Back