• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My strange and unusual dental journey (root canal, wisdom tooth, filling and more)

I saw in another post that your dentist put in a larger healing cap to stretch your gums; could this be the cause of the pain?

Whenever I have gum issues around my implants the implants themselves feel like they are alive they throb so much. I have to keep reminding myself that there are no nerves or feelings in an implant!

Call your dentist and make an appointment to make sure all is well. Thinking of you.

I saw in another post that your dentist put in a larger healing cap to stretch your gums; could this be the cause of the pain?

Whenever I have gum issues around my implants the implants themselves feel like they are alive they throb so much. I have to keep reminding myself that there are no nerves or feelings in an implant!

Call your dentist and make an appointment to make sure all is well. Thinking of you.

I am hoping that is the cause, but it just seems odd that I have the pain specifically under my nose, right up where the root tip of the tooth used to be as well. I am hoping that is just from the shot although it is odd it hasn’t gone away yet.
I am going to call tomorrow about flossing technique so I will see if they can also look at the implant.

So I got in Monday and the dentist thinks the pain was a combo of the healing cap stretching the gums and my nightguard pressing against the back of the gums. He ground out a part of my nightguard and that helped. However, as I can’t seem to resolve one issue without causing another, the past two nights I have woken up multiple times with sharp pain around my lower first molar implant. It also feels weird today, kind of like an achy awareness but not painful. I am guessing adjusting the nightguard made it so it is hitting more on that implant crown now. I am going to call today and ask for him to look at the nightguard fit again. He has got to be so tired of me. ?

I have an appointment for Tuesday, which is the earliest they could get me in. I have a terrible, sinking feeling my implant for the first molar is failing. The pain is constant now, even with Tylenol. It hurts to bite on, and there is a pain in my jaw directly under the implant that is getting worse. It hurts more now than it did earlier today. I am terrified of how bad it will get by Tuesday.

I have an appointment for Tuesday, which is the earliest they could get me in. I have a terrible, sinking feeling my implant for the first molar is failing. The pain is constant now, even with Tylenol. It hurts to bite on, and there is a pain in my jaw directly under the implant that is getting worse. It hurts more now than it did earlier today. I am terrified of how bad it will get by Tuesday.

How are you feeling? I am so sorry that this is happening. Are your other implants ok? I know that with my molars that failed I always struggled with - is this part of the healing process and be patient or this is a problem - which feels like forever in the moment. :(

How are you feeling? I am so sorry that this is happening. Are your other implants ok? I know that with my molars that failed I always struggled with - is this part of the healing process and be patient or this is a problem - which feels like forever in the moment. :(
Were yours implants that failed? I am curious because I have no idea what to expect.
The pain is not too bad today but I am avoiding chewing altogether. My jaw feels like there is a lot of pressure in it.

No - they were normal teeth that had drilling then irreversible pulpitas followed by extraction (5 month ordeal). I am set to get an implant for one of my molars in May. I sure hope that you feel better soon and that they can give you some good input on Tues.

No - they were normal teeth that had drilling then irreversible pulpitas followed by extraction (5 month ordeal). I am set to get an implant for one of my molars in May. I sure hope that you feel better soon and that they can give you some good input on Tues.
Thanks. I know it is rare for implants to fail but I seem to always be in the rare complications group. I still have pain but I am not chewing at all now so it doesn’t hurt much. Something is wrong, though. There is so much pressure in my jaw.

I went back to the dentist today. The xrays showed nothing for the implants, and he flossed and found no issues but the pain was still there. He referred me back to the oral surgeon who placed them. Earliest appointment is March 31, but they said to call and check for cancellations earlier.
The front tooth he believes is fine. He said the larger healing cap is flared and may be putting pressure on the gums. He switched it to a smaller cap and said to let him know if it helped. (He had to swap it 3 times and do x rays each time before being satisfied with the fit, and no anesthesia this time so OW). He said the X-ray of the front implant looked beautiful so he doesn’t think there is an issue.

Called the oral surgeons office today and asked about cancellations. She acted like she didn’t know what I was calling about, and asked if I was getting a redo of the implant. I told her that my dentists office had already called and made an appointment for the oral surgeon to see me to check the implants but that it was for three weeks from now and I just wanted to see if I could get in earlier. She said she would ask the surgeon directly and call me back. She called me later and said the surgeon wanted to see me Monday, so I am getting in earlier to check the implants.

I was expecting to have to wait until September to get my front tooth crown seated, since covid-19 has shut down the dental offices, and then my dentist is on leave until September. However, my dentist’s office called today and asked if I could come in on Monday at 11:00 to get the crown seated. They want to get the crowns in before the dentist goes on leave. They are keeping the doors locked and only allowing one patient at a time in. So hopefully I will have my front tooth next week!

I am so happy for you! I hope everything goes well. How are your other implants doing?

I am so happy for you! I hope everything goes well. How are your other implants doing?
The back molar is doing fine. I am still having some sensitivity with the first molar but it doesn’t hurt like it did. I am wondering if it is a nerve issue, like neuralgia. I just hope the front tooth is the right color this time!

I am glad to hear that you are doing better and that they can get you in. I am sure that your new tooth will be correct this time and how nice that you can get in.

I got my front tooth crown seated today. It fits great but the dentist still wasn’t happy with the color. He went ahead and cemented it, saying we could redo it if needed later. My gums were super tight, and are really compressed right now (actually bluish white), so he wanted to give it two weeks to see if they relax down. If not, he will have to cut them, but he said that would not look as nice so he hopes they will stretch on their own. It feels nice to have a tooth again but the color is still a little off. It was too light last time, but this time he said it was a little darker. 343DB262-CA43-4E2F-B6D1-AC4FB5164DA5.jpeg

I am so happy that you got this completed. How are you feeling? Is there a reason why the gums were tight? I am just curious as I will be going through this process starting in Mid May (hopefully).

I am so happy that you got this completed. How are you feeling? Is there a reason why the gums were tight? I am just curious as I will be going through this process starting in Mid May (hopefully).
They put in a small healing cap to start with. So the “hole” created by the gums for the tooth was smaller than the hole needed for the tooth to fit. The oral surgeon told me at my last appointment that he thought I was getting a screw retained front tooth, but it is actually cemented. I don’t know if that made a difference in the size of the healing cap used or not. Or maybe my gums just really went crazy growing back? Lol. I just hope they stretch. I don’t want more work done if I can avoid it. It hurts though. It is a pinchy, pressure feeling. He said to expect that.

Got it - thank you for letting me know. I hope that you feel better soon - I will be sending good mojo for your gums to stretch :). I think that the tooth looks good.

Got it - thank you for letting me know. I hope that you feel better soon - I will be sending good mojo for your gums to stretch :). I think that the tooth looks good.
Thank you! The dentist has me a little paranoid, since he said it was off still in color.

Wow MountainMama. I've just read your whole story and can't nearly believe all that you've gone through! You said right at the beginning that you have trouble getting numbed up for dental work, which makes me wonder if you may have red hair? As that is a well known cause for needing more anaesthetic than most!
It's good to see that you could still get treatment during the whole 'Covid-19' thing, as here in the UK, I don't think that a single dentist is working anymore and not since mid-March, except for emergency surgery that is.
As I am 'between dentists', I can't get treatment anywhere anymore, not even for an emergency! Our '111' service, a kind of phone and online helpline for anything medical and dental tried to help me, but all I could get was one more course of antibiotics, which have dulled my root-canalled tooth pain just a bit. I love the way they said to me at the end of the call, "I'm sorry, but there really isn't any help out there for you while all this is going on." Great. I may as well be stuck on the moon!
I'm still having trouble with my tongue/tooth-gap problem and wonder if I'll ever get used to it? You said it took a couple of months for you and I'm coming up to that. I can handle it for one or two days of the week, but then seem to slip backwards into NOT handling it at all! I use a night-guard sometimes, but try to do without it. I think I could really do with something like the 'flipper' you mention. I know what such a device is, though I don't think it's used much over here. I'm sure it would solve most of my problems for a while, especially as I now believe that my first molar on the right upper side (the RCT I mentioned earlier) will probably have to come out too!

I'm amazed at how much work you get done in the US, we have our NHS service, which is a lot cheaper than going private, but they apparently only do as little work as necessary to keep your teeth in a basic, healthy state. I will either (eventually) need one or two bridges, or, if I can manage to raise the funds for them, a couple of implants, to hopefully put me back to 'normal', whatever that is! Although I will need to break into a private pension and raid that, as I no longer work, having had to give up working to care for my disabled partner.

I think what people have said, that you are courageous or heroic has some truth to it. It's the way things are thrown at us, whether we can handle them or not, that is the real proof of our strength! I have cancer too, but the problem I have had with my teeth since last October, is the real test of my 'mettle'! Only time will tell if I am strong enough to handle both of them. If the dentists ever go back to work that is!

From your story, you sure sound like a hero!

Back