• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My teeth are horrific

E

Emma Hoyle

I’m so scared but I’ve finally booked an appointment , my teeth are in such a terrible state … awfully broken and decayed . I want to go ahead with the appointment but I’m fearful that the dentist will be disgusted at the site of my current oral hygiene.

Hi Emma,
You’re taking the first step towards better dental health and that’s awesome. Dental providers want to help improve your oral health. I know it’s hard, but you are doing this and you should be proud.

@Beccab213 thank you so much , this has been a daily battle for me for the past 15 years . Being self conscious and never present in the moment because I’m so aware of my teeth . I worry that paying the nhs band system won’t cover all the interventions I may need and the cost if it’s outside of this .

Wishing you all the best!

@Emma Hoyle

How bad are they really ? I always wonder as i have a messed up mouth ...crowns maryland bridges and a bridge ...broken crown ...i could go on

Any decent dentist will be pround to resolve any issues you have thats their job

@Emma Hoyle Hi Emma, I went to the dentist after not going for more than a decade too. There is a solution if they are disgusted by your teeth. The first dentist I saw was disgusted by the state of my teeth and let me know, acting like a jerk. The solution was I never went to him again, and instead found a dentist who posted on her website that she welcomed patients who had not been to a dentist for a long time. If I had known there were dentists with that outlook I simply would have skipped the first guy. I realize now I could have called and asked the office about coming in after a long time too, and gauged their attitude, and then not made an appointment if something sounded off.

@Emma Hoyle

I think once your with a nhs dentist it only the bands they can charge . If you need iv sedation then you have to go private or get referred to hospital or if you need hygienst they are normally charged at private rate too. I have had all my treatments under the bands .

Thank you for all your reply’s , I appreciate it . Until I found this group I felt like no one understood the shame and fear . @Jackieallen That’s really useful to know , I was worried they wouldn’t want to take me on as it would cost them so much to do. The £300 I pay for the top band , will be a drop in ocean for the actual cost

@Emma Hoyle

Snaps i felt same about this website ....people who can tolerate a dentist visit and treatment or have great teeth just dont understand

Back