• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

my teeth are rotting

N

need help

My teeth are really bad , I'm okay telling my kids to go dentist , I get scared myself going , lost loads of teeth . Can't even smile anymore

what about sedation dentistry???

I really feel for you :XXLhug:. I 've been there, avoided going to dentist for years while my teeth crumbled away and I couldn't even open my mouth to smile on my wedding day because my teeth were so rotten. You have posted here, so that means you really want to do something about it. Zombie groupie has suggested sedation which might be a way for you to cope with going through treatment.

How I eventually started going to a dentist for treatment was because I had an agonising abscess and eventually went to my husband's dentist out of sheer desperation because of the pain. He refused to treat me because of my extreme fear, but eventually wrote me a letter of referral to the local dental hospital and school, who gave me antibiotics for the abscess and booked me in for hypnotherapy at their anxiety clinic. I am in the UK so it was free, but if you are in another country you could find out if it's available at a dental training school. After a year of sessions I went (alone) for seven extractions and a partial denture fitting. I was so relieved to have got the treatment I badly needed that I was able to keep going, as I knew that if I stopped getting regular treatment I would just go back into my old ways and lose the rest of my teeth. I was lucky enough to find a gentle and understanding dentist and the techniques I had learned in hypnotherapy helped me to cope at the dentist, and this meant that in the last 22 years I have only cancelled one appointment. At first I couldn't sleep for several nights before an appointment, and used to cry in the waiting room and throughout appointments, but over time I got to where I am now.... I can sleep the night before, don't cry, and can face going. Everyone is different, but I hope my story is of some use to you :).

You are in an incredibly hard place, but you clearly want to start your journey to a healthy mouth. There are amazingly supportive people on here who will give you lots more advice, and I am certain that you can do it. You are really brave to be here, facing your problems. :XXLhug: Good luck! :clover::clover::clover:

Back