• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My teeth - 'medicine' phobia and periodontal battle

Re: My teeth - 'medicine' phobia COMMENTS WELCOME

Congrats - you probably do not need sedation at all now. Take my advice, just skip the 'without epi' stuff from now on and go straight to the proper stuff.

Thanks Brit. Hiyer, yeah, the dentist said that after he gave the lidocaine, with epi, and it worked immediately, he has written it on my notes that I will have that in future. The carbocaine was wearing off so quickly I could literally feel it seeping away after minutes, by the time he got to the last of the 4 carbo. jabs the first one was wearing off LOL ! I've never had sedation Brit and have never considered it, I have done my last few procedures years ago with no pain relief and wide awake LOL

So, the morning after the day before.....

OOOOooo I have a little achey bit somewhere in my jaw joint/top inside of the extraction site, and my jaw was a wee bit stiff this morning, but it is nothing....really nothing.....no pain meds needed at all so far ! I can also feel a kind of 'pinch' when I swallow which is coming from one of the stitch areas. I didn't sleep hugely well, but that was because of being 'wired' from days of pain and anxiety. When I did sleep though there was NO PAIN !!!! :)

More distressing than that was to find that my tongue had gone dark brown :o, at first I thought it was continuing blood loss, but it is definitely not. I did ring the surgery, in a paranoid moment, and they told me it was the iodine in the dissolvable wadding that had been used to pack the extraction hole.

Bleeding stopped after about 12 hours and I have now started the warm salt water rinses. Not quite sure what this dissolvable wadding stuff is, as all the info. I have read says that it should be repacked with new stuff every day or so ?!

Re: My teeth - 'medicine' phobia

Well, I feel almost cheated !!! Over 2 days after the extraction and there is no pain to speak of, an itsy bitsy tightness of the jaw on that side but nothing more. No throbbing, no gum pain, no bruising, nothing. The worst thing is this blasted dissolvable medicated dressing that still tastes like a bottle of dettol washing round my mouth.

This is an absolute release from the constant pain and pain-killers being thrown in. The moral of this tale is that a slower extraction does not necessarily mean it is a 'worse' one; there was an hour of fiddling around with my tooth and detailed preparation work being done by the dentist and although it was boring and made me feel tense........I had a fantastic extraction done with no after effects. The dental nurse and dentist both spent lots of time explaining to me what was being done, even explaining about the needle that showed if it had been wrongly injected etc. I still can't believe that I went from having the massive fear and avoidance of dental work (mainly because of the injections) for so many years, to having so many injections in one day.

I need to keep the impetus going on this one though, as time (with me) tends to start creating new fears, or reinventing the old ones. If there is too long a break in the proceedings then that isn't good, so, whilst I have perfect recollection it is onwards and upwards. I am NOT actually afraid of the appointment next week.....yet.......... but that is a step better than ever before. I might be nervous just before it, but not puking and panicking like previously.

Just to add, that underlying 'could I be allergic/can I be made ill by meds' feeling has not totally gone. It now no longer applies to the lidocaine/carbocaine, but I think the same about the medication in the wading, the iodine (could it cause thyroide problems) used in the dressing, the topical anaesthetic etc. Guess there is a way to go yet.....

You jammy devil, I wish I had of had the simple healing you are having. I am pleased for you though because as you say it spurs you on to have further treatment you need. Keep going.

Keep healing well, thinking of you. CARRY ON HEALING, there's a movie in there somewhere!! :giggle:

I'm just catching up here. Your dentists sounds like a darling - definitely a keeper. Taking so much care over that extraction and trying very hard to work with your medication fears. Maybe you should recommend him in the dental review section....?
Well done to you :jump::jump::jump:

And carole - I laughed out loud at your numb gum numb gum thing ...;D

OK, another week another visit !

Today was a 45 minute appointment. The wisdom stitches were removed and it was pronounced 'healing well'. I had assorted xrays and we discussed a treatment plan after a full check up of teeth and gums. The plan is as follows -

Next week:

1. Have the large cavity in another molar filled.
2. Start hygenist appointments as the gums really need attending to, first one will be 40 mins next week and they will need to be every 3 months at the moment.
3. Have some impressions taken next week too, to start some aesthetic/orthodontic work using those clear brace thingies.
4. Slight reshaping of a temporary crown.

The following week:
1. A couple of minor, currently non-problematic cavities to deal with.
2. Discuss what 'I am aiming for' in terms of orthodontic work and start the ball rolling with that.
3. Another hygenist appointment.

Longer term: Once orthodontic work done, re-do the two front crowns together.

The lady behind reception was so delightful today, she said it 'brought tears to her eyes' to see how my confidence had increased. :):)

So, there were no injections today....save that joy for next week ;o((

Okayyyyy, next part of my dental journey...

I was everso brave today and went ON MY OWN knowing that I would be needing an injection for a filling in a molar. What I was not expecting was for it to need to become a 'root canal' jobby. Once the tooth was investigated and drilled, it was clear that it needed more than a filling. Of course by this time you don't have a backing out option because you are there with a job half done. :cry: So, the tooth has now been cleaned out and has the medicated wadding in it and a temporary filling...meaning I am going back on Friday for another appointment. I also had all my impressions done today, for the invisalign, so that was good. All in all the appointment was an hour.

My heart rate was so so fast, particularly for the second injection which is done on the side of the roof of the mouth. I had my hands clasped over my stomach and could feel it pounding away - I need to make sure that I don't feel for my heart rate next time, as knowing it is racing away makes me panic even more and then you get into a spiral of fear. I don't think I showed fear though, certainly I felt I was much more in control than a couple of weeks ago (there were no tears or fast breathing). Look it wasn't enjoyable, but it was another pain free experience and I felt complete trust in my dentist, who explained things to me as we went along.

Hopefully next Friday will be the last time I need injections for a while as it is the last major piece of that type of work. I feel so tired now, but after a few hours of being majorly wound up I guess that is expected.

You did really well, hope next week goes as well. It was good how it happened because at least you couldn't spend all week stressing about a root canal treatment. Keep going, you can do it.

WELL DONE :jump: :jump: :jump:

Hey, forget next week, it is THIS Friday, even sooner than that. :scared: He said the permanent filling could be done in a couple of days, so figured I sould get it over with asap. He also wants to 'protect' and try to re-mineralise an area which was exposed on another tooth, whilst he was doing the work today. Also, there is still the reshaping of the temporary crown to do on Friday.Then next week I now have the hygienist and then possibly another dental appointment to discuss the invisalign. Oh its all go.......I just want to get it all out of the way as quickly as possibly.....:scared:

It's good it's happening so quick, it keeps the momentum going and spurs you on. I hate the thought of the 6 month break. You just get used to everything and then nothing again. Then you start again in 6 months. I must admit though I was glad when he said see you in 6 months. But I didn't get that far I got to 2 weeks and another tooth started. I still have to go back and it is a rct on that one as well. And although I am not worried as such I do feel a little nervous because it's at the bottom and the filling in there is very near the nerve.

But anyway back to you Good Luck for Fri this week, good lord when you get going, YOU GET GOING, YEAH!!!!!

So, today my tooth still hurts. Not all the time, just when I bite down in a certain direction. it is not when I bit vertically down, but when the tooth gets moved slightly side-ways. This is most irritating as it wasn't really painful before. At the moment I am putting it down to the structures around the tooth being bruised. There is also a disgusting antiseptic taste from the tooth. I actually contacted the dental surgery as wondered if the temporary filling was perhaps leaking, but he seemed to think this taste was to be expected due to the strength of the inserted antiseptic pad.

The trouble is the taste reminds me of my 'medicine fear', the thought that I am swallowing whatever the substance might be and that it is being absorbed into my body from the site of the root canal makes me feel jittery. I keep trying to remind myself that everything used in the dental surgery must be checked rigorously for safety, as they wouldn't use anything in your mouth that would cause illness/bad reactions.

I am meant to be returning on Friday for the proper shaping of the root canals and permanent filling.

It may well be that he will leave it on Friday, and give it more time to settle down. You have had a lot done in the last two weeks. You've gone from nothing to full on big jobs, I think they are big jobs anyway. I think you will be fine with the dressing, I doubt it will poison you, although I understand it is this that bothers you about going to the dentist. It is as much a valid phobia as fearing the actual treatment.

You were okay with the injection, and the dressing put in after the extraction, so I think you will be fine with the dressing inside the tooth and blocked in with temp filling.

Concentrate on the fact that you survived the other things. Your mouth with feel a bit sore and ache after so much work. In a few days it will feel like a distant memory.

All the best keep going, you will be fine. Brave words until it's me I know.

OK quick update....

Yesterday I have a 40 mins hygenist appointment, a long chat with her and then a clean. She tells me that I do have some gum disease, in some areas, but we can get it back under control with effort on my part and professional cleaning every 3 months. Interestingly there was nothing much in the way of tartar, just the bacteria that was affecting the gums. She has given me some different heads for my electric brush, some fancy new flossing stick thingies and lots of interdental brushes to try. I was fairly relaxed throughout as I knew there was nothing major that was going to happen.

Then.....back today for pre-molar root canal part 2. He started getting ready with the topical numbing stuff and I asked if I really needed injections today. He thought that it could be uncomfortable when he got to the end of the root, but was willing to let me try without. Well, that didn't last long....he inserted one of those long wirey things to the bottom of the root to measure and I had a shooting pain which made me jump. He said that he'd not even really got as far as he needed to go, so there was no way I was going to cope without an injection. I then agreed to have the customary 2 shots of lidocaine. All was going ok, until the second injection, the one that goes into the roof of the mouth area. I HATE that one, because you feel it so much more than the other one. As it was being completed I started a panic attack, heart racing burning adrenaline feeling through my body, dizziness. He asked if I was ok and I said no I wanted to sit up. Very rapidly he plugged the hole in the tooth temporarily and got the dam off my mouth. I got things back under control very quickly, within a couple of minutes (so therefore that is how I knew it was definitely just a panic attack and not a reaction to anything in the injection, I 'recovered' far too quickly!) I rinsed my mouth and lay back down to carry on.

Another hour passed and the root canal internal work was all complete and the temporary filling was in place. I still need to go back as an inlay is needed, but I am really hoping that this time I won't need injections ?!

It sounds very dramatic, but you seemed to get yourself together to be able to carry on. I on the other hand want numbing full up the side of my face, but my fear is feeling anything, I know yours is the medicine side of dentistry.

I don't know if they usually numb you up for the third visit but when I have my crown on I hope so.

I bet you feel really proud of yourself now don't you? You should, CONGRATULATIONS :jump: :jump: :jump:

When is your next appointment.

Do you know Carole, I feel quite ashamed and not proud. I keep analysing my 'panic attack' moment. I wasn't hysterical, but I certainly blurted out very loudly 'I'm having a panic attack' and he said 'are you ok ?' and I said 'No !' and wanted to sit up. I feel really bad for giving him the extra work and breaking his pattern and I feel embarrased how I was infront of the dental nurse. It wasn't my favourite dental nurse today (funny how that makes all the difference isn't it !), although she was very nice and told me that someone this morning was gripping her arm so hard it hurt LOL I did get myself back together quite quickly, apologising all the way LOL...but I feel at the moment like an idiot. I know I shouldn't, I'm sure others have done similar, but.....well....there we go. It is a bit ridiculous as I had the same two jabs last week and was fine, I thought I would be fine today.

It sounds like it was because it was unexpected, you thought you wouldn't have to have the injections so when this was put to you, shock and panic set in. I got panicy at my second visit when the drilling went on a bit longer than I expected. I could feel my breathing change and of course I do the 1, breath in through the mouth and, 2 breath out slowly through the nose. I could feel it going all wrong, I didn't stop him, but he stopped and asked if I wanted a break, I said no, but the time he took to do this and before starting again just gave me enough time to collect myself together. I did feel daft like you. But then I think at least I care enough about my teeth to go, and it is not easy, as we all know, so if at the end we end up feeling a bit daft, small price to pay. Next time go expecting to have the injections and if you don't, BONUS.

I find I do better if I know a little bit whats going to happen, not too much detail though. About the same as you would explain to a child, Ha Ha.

I think you have lucked out with your dentist, he seems really lovely and patient, when do you go back and what are you having

Last edited:

Next time go expecting to have the injections and if you don't, BONUS.

Yes, I think you are right. This was what was different this week, the two previous weeks when I have had injections I have been expecting to have them.

Back