• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My temporary crown fell off. What should I do?

W

welshdragon84

Hello everyone. About twenty minutes ago while I was having food (worse possible time) and even though I kept my eating on the other side ever since I had the temporary crown put in it has well fallen out. I'm not in any pain or anything (not sure why) but I'm not sure what to do. The thing is my appointment to have the permanent crown put in is tomorrow morning and it's 7.30pm here in the UK now so what should I do til then? Thank you.

Hello everyone. About twenty minutes ago while I was having food (worse possible time) and even though I kept my eating on the other side ever since I had the temporary crown put in it has well fallen out. I'm not in any pain or anything (not sure why) but I'm not sure what to do. The thing is my appointment to have the permanent crown put in is tomorrow morning and it's 7.30pm here in the UK now so what should I do til then? Thank you.

Put it in a safe place and remember to take it with you tomorrow morning. Other than that, don't fret - nothing's going to change before the morning. ;)

I think I should put a bit more information, the metal thing that is attached to the fake tooth fell out with it (it didn't break apart or anything) so I'm not sure if that is part of the crown itself or something seperate. I suppose I could post a picture of it up but I'm not sure if that is allowed. I do have a slight phobia on dentistry and even though I'm 26 years old my dentist really scares me at times, he's a nice guy and all and is good to chat with it's chat I don't like it when he tells me to open my muth so wide and yet I feel like I can't do it at times.

Put it in a safe place and remember to take it with you tomorrow morning. Other than that, don't fret - nothing's going to change before the morning. ;)

Thank you for your reply. One thing I am worried about though is infection so should I use mouthwash or something to prevent any infection from getting in?

Last edited:
As I said, don't fret ! Keep your mouth clean in the normal fashion, don't brush too hard around the tooth that's been prepared for the crown. If it were me I wouldn't go mad with the chemicals - you'd be extremely unlucky to develop anything nasty in that short space of time.

Do you mean that the temporary crown has a post attached to it ? I used to have one of those, it fell out one day as I as eating - I just took it along to the dentist and he glued it back in. But that's irrelevant to you, as you're going to be getting a nice new one tomorrow. :) Just take all the bits along so that your dentist can see them !

John

Back