• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My temporary crown has become permanent - help!

L

lbolle

I've always struggled with a fear of dentistry. I'm an assertive business professional and have it together in every other area of my life. About five years ago I had a root canal done that went badly. The shield placed in my mouth slipped and bleach went down my throat. I began to get involuntarily sick but the dentist continued to work, despite my vomiting. I had to beg him to stop. Now even the slightest smell of bleach makes me dry heave. Subsequently, it took me three years to get up the nerve and have the temporary crown replaced by a dentist a friend referred me to. But that dentist didn't seem to work out either. We agreed up front that he'd replace the temporary crown. Instead of replacing the temporary, he ended up giving me two new fillings, replacing one old filling, cleaning my teeth, and he incessantly tried to sell me a teeth whitening kit. I was led to believe that all my fillings had to be replaced and my teeth had to be whitened before the temporary could be replaced. At any rate, he went through all the allotted insurance money, and I even had to pay some out of pocket - yet I was no better off than before with the crown situation. Two more years have now passed and I'm more disinclined to see a dentist than ever - yet I truly need to have the temporary replaced. Is my dentist just trying to milk me or do I really have to have everything else done before the temporary can be replaced? The temporary is not visible when I smile, so I don't know why the teeth whitening part is so crucial. I still have dental insurance - I'm just afraid he'll end up burning through the money like last time without getting the crown on. And with the last experience, I don't trust him anyhow. Any advice would be appreciated, and sorry for the lengthy email.

Hi and :welcome:,

Is my dentist just trying to milk me or do I really have to have everything else done before the temporary can be replaced?

I think you've answered your own question :). You have lost trust in this dentist and it would be a good idea to find someone you trust.
With regard to the tooth whitening - this should be done before getting a permanent crown placed, so that the colour can be matched. But if I understand you correctly, you're saying that it's not visible and what's more, you don't want your teeth whitened in the first place and he's trying to push it on you? Teeth whitening is not a once-off thing, as you will have to do it at regular intervals to maintain the colour. So if the crown was visible, this would mean it might stand out after your teeth return to their natural colour (unless you keep bleaching of course).

Last edited:
Back