• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My upper partial denture makes me gag

W

Wendymother

i got my dentures yesterday and am having problems. Each time I put them in I gag and have to remove them. I understand that it will take time to get used to having dentures but if I cannot keep them in what can I do? Please help me with this.

How far back does the plate go? Sometimes the dentist can trim it so that it doesn't go so far back in your mouth.

Much of gagging, however, is psychological. There's no magic fix, but I gagged when first using a full upper denture. I found that drinking water and nibbling on food while I had it in helped. Take it out when it becomes unbearable. But then try again.

Worst comes to worst and you can't get over it by yourself, there's therapy options for overcoming gagging, like hypnotherapy and exposure therapy. I've heard many success stories with these. So don't panic if it remains a problem! You've always got options. Don't be afraid to explain the problems to your dentist.

​I had a call from my dentist. She has called me in to see her in two weeks. This was not expected. The plate goes quite away back so maybe she can alter it.

Hi ring the dentist and ask for an earlier appointment and tell them the problem. You may find that if you can keep the dentures in for some time that sore spots will appear in your mouth. This is normal and expected go the dentist straight away and get them to file the dentures down where they are making you sore. You may have to make a few trips to get this sorted, as one sore spot is cured another will appear to take over. Once this is all ironed out and your mouth has got used to the dentures things will be fine.

All the best to you :butterfly:

How I deliver a partial or a denture when finished.
Try it in and ask patient about pressure spots.
if any relieve until gone.
If none then place a pressure indicating material on the tissue side and place it in and apply variable pressure to detect pressure spots then relieve to minimize need for future adjustments.
Verify the bite is correct and the extensions are correct.
Retention varies greatly between cases so check as appropriate.
See patient as needed for adjustments.

So I read somewhere that anaesthetic spray can help with gagging so I tried some today. It did help me keep them in although I did take them out to eat. I figured that for me it is more important to get used to how they feel rather than having them in all the time. I am,seeing my dentist next Monday now. She didn't realize how much it was bothering me. I have autism so don't always get my message across easily.

Yeah, it's definitely important to just get used to them in increments, rather than trying to force yourself to wear them non-stop. Good job, hang in there! The eating part can feel tricky at first, because your tongue and brain just isn't used to the new thing in your mouth, but it comes with practice. So please don't worry if you find it hard the first time you try eating with them. I found it very hard, but now I do it without thinking about it!

And communication with the dentist is good, but can be difficult too. I hope you have a good appointment on Monday. You're making great progress. :)

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. I am able to keep denture in for a couple of hours now. They still feel strange on one side. I am wondering if this is because the denture has natural teeth on either side of false teeth on upper right side.

Back