• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My wisdom tooth experience

T

TooNervous

Hi all, I finally got my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday. I just wanted to share my story so that it might help others. I first went to a dentist about 11 years ago and she checked my teeth and took some xrays and said I need to have my wisdom teeth pulled and I have to do it under general anesthesia because my teeth were impacted. For some reason, I am a little phobic with the word anesthesia. I heard all sorts of horror stories about people not waking up after anesthesia when I was younger and that thought process carried into my adulthood. I made my first appointment sometime in August of 1999. When the day neared, I started getting very nervous and finally canceled it. Life went on without much thought about wisdom teeth. I stopped making dental appointments so that I can avoid having the dentist convince me to do it again. I had to go to the dentist again in 2002 to get a filling done. This time my dentist again told me that I had to have them pulled and made an appointment with an oral surgeon...guess what? I canceled it again the day before surgery. I want to the dentist a few times to have my teeth filled after that and each time I gave the dentist some excuse or the other to not schedule the wisdom teeth extraction. I finally decided I was going to do it this year because I am 39 and I wanted to get it done before I turned 40. I was a nervous wreck since about 2 weeks before my appointment. I called the dental office about 3 times in those 2 weeks to clear all my questions about anesthesia and the surgery. They were very helpful and answered all my questions. I had the appointment with the oral surgeon yesterday (07/29/08) evening. My wife drove me to the clinic at 2:45 pm. The receptionist checks me in and says she was sure I would cancel my appointment because of how nervous I was when I talked to her. I finally got checked in and went into the operation theater (nothing like a real operation theater, it was a regular dental chair). I was hooked up to he bp and heart rate monitors and the doctor came in after a few minutes. He then injected the IV anesthesia and the last thing I remember telling him that I was feeling hot and the room started spinning when the IV went in. The next thing, what felt like no time, an 1 1/2 hours had gone by and the nurses were inserting gauze in my mouth and I said it hurt. As soon as I woke up, they brought a wheel chair and they helped me sit in the wheel chair and pushed it to my car. My wife drove me home and I took the gauze off after a couple of hours. My bleeding also stopped by then. I then took the prescribed antibiotics and pain medicines last night. I was in pain after the numbness wore off, but, nothing I couldn't control with the pain killers. So guys, it is not bad at all. Now I don't have to worry about those dreaded wisdom teeth ever. If you are worrying about an extraction...don't be. It is virtually painless.

Congratulations!:jump:

I just had all of mine out(I only had three; one upper and two lower ones) three weeks ago and worried myself sick over it beforehand.

The surgery itself was nothing; I was knocked out for it too and when I woke up it was all done.

I'm having some healing issues at the minute, but like you I am so glad I don't ever have to worry about my wisdom teeth again.

Katx

Congratulations!:jump:

I just had all of mine out(I only had three; one upper and two lower ones) three weeks ago and worried myself sick over it beforehand.

The surgery itself was nothing; I was knocked out for it too and when I woke up it was all done.

I'm having some healing issues at the minute, but like you I am so glad I don't ever have to worry about my wisdom teeth again.

Katx

Thanks Katx. Sorry to hear about your healing issues....Hope they all get resolved soon...I am taking it very easy eating baby food and mashed potatoes. I have some bleeding today, but, I called the doctor's office and they said it is ok...

Back