• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nasty tooth extraction needed. Phobia of dentists and needles

A

al04

Hi,

I am new to this forum and just wanted some tips on how best to deal with my current situation, I will try to give as much info as possible to put it into context.

I have not been to the dentist for over 7 years during which time my fear has progressed. I had a horrible experience aged 11 where my dentist removed 6 molars from my top teeth (milk teeth) with just a local anesthetic. My gums preceeded to bleed for 3days and thats before the teasing at school. The point of all this? To see how my adult teeth would come through!

Anyway thats the past, currently I have a tooth a bottom molar that has had a hole for about 3 years, in the last month the hole has got much larger and a crack has appeared in the outside of the tooth. Now I know there is no hope in hell of saving the tooth and it will have to be extracted. I'm pretty sure it might have an absess underneath it. Firstly what sort of dental treatment do you need for an absess? Is it reall painful? and is it difficult to remove a tooth that already cracking in half?

I think this is probably an emergency sort of problem? I can't afford private treatment as I am a student but would a dentist do this on NHS?

Also how can I best cope with having to go to the dentist again and the thought of having injections? I have taken steps with my needle phobia and had hypnotherapy but that was not dental related.

Sorry this is such a long post and probably makes no sense but, I am really stressed writing it as I am planning on trying to book an appointment tomorrow.

Thanks
al04

Hi al04 :welcome: to the forum. You can get this done on the nhs, if there is an abscess or infection, it will be treated by antibiotics which will be a 5 or 7 day course. This will get the infection under control and calmed down enough so that the dentist can get you numb.

The tooth will be extracted about a week later, you won't feel a thing as you will be numb. The injections can be given without pain, if you ask the dentist to rub some gel called topical on your gums before he injects, this will numb the gums not the tooth. When the dentist injects you won't feel it if he injects really slowly. The tooth should not take long to remove.

All this is supposing that you do have an infection or abscess, and that the tooth does need to come out. As a student you may be able to get treatment free on the nhs, check with the dentist, if not it will cost £47.00 to have it removed.

You do need to see a dentist and let them have a look. Tell them about the bleeding and if they are worried about prolonged bleeding they may be able to put a stitch in, which you would not feel.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: Let us know how you get on :butterfly:

Hi

Just wanted to say that the first line of treatment for an abcess is antibiotics so the 1st appointment even at an emergency dentist will just be a look and a prescription. Then they can decide what to do. It may be they can save it with a root canal and not extract or they may need to extract. Either way you should feel NO PAIN with the right dentist. I had 4 wisdom teeth extracted and felt NOTHING, its possible!

Firstly thank you for your replies they definitely helped me feel less worried.
Secondly I managed to get to a dentist and I have an extraction appointment for Thursday! The dentist has given me an extended appointment so I can take the time I need.
However today where my tooth has fractured it has broken and the broken part is now really wobbly. Is there anything I need to do to protect it before going to the dentist? I am really worried about eating and it breaking off as its quite a large part of my tooth.

Thanks
al04

I would ring the dentist as soon as they are open and ask if you could be seen sooner. If you are in pain they should fit you in on Monday.

Good for you for going and getting seen by the dentist and good luck :clover::clover::clover: for your appointment, hopefully it will be sooner and you can get rid of the worry.:)

Back