• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nausea looking at Dentures

D

Dawn65

Does anyone else have trouble looking at or handling dentures?

I have recently had six teeth removed. In addition I was robbed of four as a child. The tell me I have the minimum number of teeth to eat efficiently - I don't see HOW, since I can't to the point it's making me physically ill. But nonetheless they are making me plates. Only a partial compensation to start with as two of the 6 were wisdom teeth. So, down 10, getting back only 4.

Coupled with the fact that I am now permanently freaked out by my mouth and it's making me very mentally ill. I HAVE to have these plates. Not an optional extra!

Trouble is I can't even look at pictures of dentures. I'm very squeamish. I feel sick to the point of actually wanting to vomit at the sight of them. How am I going to put them in my mouth without chucking up every day, or take them out and clean them? Or even tolerate them in my mouth.

I'm already so angry about my missing teeth, that this is sending me over the edge.

How do you control the nausea?

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd call it nausea but yes to look at them I find them really disgusting hence why I've not had any,its not a nice situation to be in.

I'm not sure I'd call it nausea but yes to look at them I find them really disgusting hence why I've not had any,its not a nice situation to be in.

Glad I'm not the only one.

I had three molars extracted in the past 8 months, and I will admit that it is very hard to come to terms with. Eating is very difficult, especially since two were on the same side and both lower.

I would have a really hard time with dentures or partials as well. I struggled with wearing a retainer as a teen, after braces. I had the clear plastic kind that looked like the invisalign that fit over my top teeth. I did eventually get used to it, but it did seem gross as first.

Are implants an option? I am getting two implants to replace my two lower molars. I am not replacing the upper one on the other side. Just enough to be able to chew again.

My son had one of those retainers. Fortunately, he looked after it himself, but it used to make me feel sick everytime I saw it in the bathroom.

I don't know whether I'm suitable for implants, but I couldn't handle the procedure in any case. They had to do a general anesthetic to even fill my teeth in the past, the dental phobia is so bad - and I don't cope even then.

My son had one of those retainers. Fortunately, he looked after it himself, but it used to make me feel sick everytime I saw it in the bathroom.

I don't know whether I'm suitable for implants, but I couldn't handle the procedure in any case. They had to do a general anesthetic to even fill my teeth in the past, the dental phobia is so bad - and I don't cope even then.

Honestly the implant surgery was easier than the extractions, as far as procedure and recovery. I did everything under nitrous oxide, but couldn't you do it under general anesthesia? Get however many you need put in all at the same time?

I have a hard time with stuff in my mouth, like the retainer. I have to wear a nightguard, because I clench my teeth and that is really hard as well.

No. Even it's medically suitable. I couldn't get through the procedure.

Honestly the implant surgery was easier than the extractions, as far as procedure and recovery. I did everything under nitrous oxide, but couldn't you do it under general anesthesia? Get however many you need put in all at the same time?

Honestly, I couldn't. I was banging my head on the wall before the extraction and practically had to be dragged in there.

Besides, don't think special care dentistry does implants and certainly wouldn't offer a general for that. It would have to be private treatment.

Honestly, I couldn't. I was banging my head on the wall before the extraction and practically had to be dragged in there.

Besides, don't think special care dentistry does implants and certainly wouldn't offer a general for that. It would have to be private treatment.

My oral surgeon offers general anesthesia. Of course this is in the U.S. so I don't know how it works where you are. I would have to pay a lot more for general, and I can't afford it, but I also don't have as severe of a phobia as you either. I can usually make it through with nitrous.

We are lucky to have the NHS in the UK. All dental treatment is completely free for children, pensioners, pregnant women and the low income etc. It costs very little for the rest of us. The GA and extractions cost me nothing, because they count as hospital treatment - because I was in hospital not a dental clinic. Because I work, my plates cost £37 (about $46). They'd be free were I unemployed. There's even a "special" care service for dental phobes, which isn't costing me any.

But clearly, the NHS will do only what is medically 'necessary'. Optional extras, like implants are not on the 'necessary' list. There are private practitioners who do that, don't know that any of them offer GA. If they do, it would be mega expensive.

We are lucky to have the NHS in the UK. All dental treatment is completely free for children, pensioners, pregnant women and the low income etc. It costs very little for the rest of us. The GA and extractions cost me nothing, because they count as hospital treatment - because I was in hospital not a dental clinic. Because I work, my plates cost £37 (about $46). They'd be free were I unemployed. There's even a "special" care service for dental phobes, which isn't costing me any.

But clearly, the NHS will do only what is medically 'necessary'. Optional extras, like implants are not on the 'necessary' list. There are private practitioners who do that, don't know that any of them offer GA. If they do, it would be mega expensive.
All 3 ops I've had were g/a I'm glad they were as I couldn't even imagine being half awake,but I wasn't given an option any of the times they thought it was the best way. The implant route may not be pleasent (from someone whose just had it done) but hoping it pays off in the long run.

Hope you get good results. Keep us posted.

Sadly, not an option for me though. Even if someone offered me cost free under GA I wouldn't get through it - at least not sane. You are much braver than me :)

Best I can hope for by the looks of it is plates that fill my mouth so I can eat and talk properly and am not freaked out everytime my tongue moves, but don't look like teeth so they aren't repugnant, and some support to learn to handle them.

Maybe I need my husband to blind fold me while takes them out to clean them once a day.

Maybe save up for them in the future? You could probably get by with one implant for each molar missing. It might be worth checking into.

I understand the fears. I was terrified when I had the implant surgery, but like I said, it wouldn't be near as bad as what you are going through with the extractions. Extractions are much worse. I have one right now that isn't healing well and it is a month past the extraction. It still hurts and is raw feeling. I am having a really hard time with it. I hate the recovery time after procedures. I hate the taste of blood in my mouth and the bad taste that comes after extractions. I don't like seeing the hole where the tooth was. This one isn't filling in like the others did, and it is driving me mad.

Thanks, but no implants for me. No way I'd survive it. Don't want anyone touching me ever again.

Apparently, coloured plates might be possibility though... might be slightly more bearable, so going to investigate that.

Thanks, but no implants for me. No way I'd survive it. Don't want anyone touching me ever again.

Apparently, coloured plates might be possibility though... might be slightly more bearable, so going to investigate that.

I understand completely. It sounds like your phobia is pretty extreme. I really hope you can get the colored plates and that they work for you!

I understand completely. It sounds like your phobia is pretty extreme. I really hope you can get the colored plates and that they work for you!

When I get them, I'll keep you posted.

Do you absolutely have to fill the gaps? I have a gap on either side at the bottom (molars) and until this year had had spaces with no problems. I got two tiny flexible partial dentures, which are not on a plate, earlier this year (they were done privately and cost £££) but actually only ever wear the right side one. No one sees the gaps, and I have never had trouble with chewing.

My colleague has two upper front teeth missing - he is a professional man and highly respected in his field, and while it might get a second glance when you first meet him, it’s just him and I don’t even see the gaps now.

I'm actually missing 10 teeth and yes, I do have to fill them. I'm not coping with the gaps at any level, can't eat properly, don't feel I can talk properly, my self confidence is in tatters. I've even covered the bathroom mirror so I can't see myself. It's effecting both my professional and personal life and I'm just permanently freaked out by my mouth.

I seem to be caught in a catch 22. Can't cope with them, and can't cope without.
:(

Back