• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Navan, Co. Meath - Niall Neeson

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Niall Neeson
Boyne Dental & Implant Clinic
The Old Courthouse,
4 Ludlow Street,
Navan, Co. Meath

https://boynedental.ie/our-team/dr-niall-neeson/

Niall is a really lovely guy (and a very skilled dentist). He comes highly recommended. He's definitely not a one-trick pony, and will tailor his services to your specific requirements, likes and dislikes. He can also offer sedation for those who want it, but doesn't push it at all.

Here is some info from the website:

‘The dentist for people who don’t like the dentist!’

If the thought of even booking your first appointment with a new dentist is making you feel nervous or anxious then Niall is undoubtedly the man for you. Niall has a genuine passion for helping people who either avoid (or really dislike) going to the dentist. He has developed a bespoke service at Boyne Dental, that allows you to feel comfortable, calm and in control as you go through the journey of re-building your confidence in the dentist and restoring the health of your mouth.
In 2018, Niall achieved a distinction in his ‘Conscious Sedation in Dentistry’ postgraduate diploma at Trinity College Dublin. This allows Niall to offer the full range of dental sedation options to our patients- opening the door to a huge number of patients who otherwise could not bear the thought of undergoing dental treatment.

Niall loves the benefits that sedation can offer for facilitating the dental health of fearful or phobic patients and how this can provide a strong platform to build on. For those who are keen to go even further and actually conquer the fear altogether, Niall thrives on facilitating this journey. Niall and his patients work together to plan how best to re-build that trust and confidence in attending this dentist. This allows us to gradually progress towards a position where previously apprehensive patients can enjoy the long term benefits of routine and preventative dentistry.

The good news is – this is achievable!

Many of Niall’s patients are now enjoying these benefits at Boyne Dental and you can too! The journey is unique for every person, just as unique as the factors that have actually contributed to their fears. This is why Niall takes time to explore the right path for each person, offering the full spectrum of tools shown to help manage and treat dental fear including intravenous (IV) sedation, nitrous oxide (‘happy air’) inhalation sedation, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), hypnosis, ‘The Wand’ technology and effective everyday behavioural management techniques.

Originally from Newcastle, Co Down, Niall graduated with honours from Queen’s Universit Belfast in 2006 before moving to the Highlands of Scotland. Here he was a valued member of an award-winning dental practice, gaining experience in a broad range of areas in dentistry before moving to Co. Meath in 2016. Throughout his career, Niall has completed an abundance of courses to continually add to his skill set including the prestigious 3 year Advanced Restorative Dentistry Course run by Professor Paul Tipton allowing provision of the highest standard of cosmetic dentistry. He also boasts a wealth of knowledge and experience in the management of jaw pain and headaches that can be extremely debilitating to many people.

Outside of the surgery Niall is a massive music fan and enjoys football, the great outdoors and of course spending time with his young family.

“I’m thrilled to be part of Boyne Dental and Implant Clinic, one of the most forward thinking practices in the country. The superior standards of dental work is just as impressive as the top class facilities and I’m delighted to be able to add my skill set and experience to such a progressive and vibrant practice.”

I haven’t been Niall’s patient but got a chance to see his practice as a visitor and had a chat with him about what he does to help people who are scared of the dentist. What I learned and saw was so impressive that I can’t help myself but must write a review. No matter which things that ease anxiety are known and available out there, you can be sure Niall uses them.

This starts at the „usual“ things such as sedation, laughing gas, hypnosis and „just being kind“ and ends with stuff like having the most peaceful lovely waiting room you could (or could not) imagine and having a friendly dedicated team that is well trained, familiar with how anxiety feels and more than happy to help. Niall is aware of all aspects and consequences of dental anxiety - beginning from the fact that calling and scheduling can seem like an impossible task that can take months to accomplish down to the fact that we are not ourselves when we are anxious and he is contagiously passionate and wholehearted about it. He is also very familiar with all the forms and shapes of dental fear and also of other mental health issues that can contribute to it. He knows that everyone is different and is ready to look at your individual situation and things that YOU need to be able to cope with dental care and to achieve the goals you would like to. The whole team is really sensitive on the topic and onboard to support you during all steps from the first contact on. By the time you meet Niall you already will have gained a lot of trust already.

Truly, the whole place is vibrant and full of kindness and understanding. I can only encourage anyone considering to get in touch with them to do it and I wished there would be dentists like this in any area.

Last but not least: their waiting room is so impressive. There are lovely happy colors, they have tissues ready literally everywhere :cloud9: and you won’t find anything that reminds you of being in a dental practice; it’s all just normal magazines. No screens, no pictures of teeth or scary dental things, no flyers about bleaching or any treatment (ok, I have found one single brochure about dental implants buried somewhere in the corner, you do not have to touch it if you don’t want to and my feel is it might not even be there at all times). There is also water :cloud9: so that you can help yourself if your mouth gets dry of anxiety or you feel nauseous or whatever. There was soft relaxing music playing in the background.. truly, it made me so mellow I would agree to any treatment at that moment!

I know Niall appreciates being gentle and having plenty of time to get to know his patients (and actually listen to their worries and fear), he knows that local anesthetic belongs to one of the scariest thing in dentistry and knows how to do it in a comfortable manner. There is also no danger of going anywhere near the chair in the first instances of your first appointment, it is all about chatting and getting to know you.

Last edited:
Thank you both so much for writing such kind words. It means a lot.