• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Near PANIC over something that is kinda crazy-- tongue and saliva issues

S

ScaredMAB

So my journey continues, with a slight delay in moving forward on the implants, they are delayed at least 2 or 3 weeks. Over the course of the last 2 months I have had 2 extractions (had 2 others previously) all were back teeth and have had 6 crowns removed, teeth restored and in temporary crowns. all in the lower arch. Because of my terrible bite, all the bite pressure hits in the back, I only had 2 good points of contact. Those are currently gone. Since I have had all this work done I have noticed a couple of strange things, 1. My tongue seems too big for my mouth. (I original blamed these on the temps as they are a bit wider than my other crowns were. Dentist did this on purpose.) 2. I normally have a pretty dry mouth, but now I seem to be drowning in saliva. (I blamed that on all the current holes in the lower arch.)

I haven't mentioned this to the dentist yet, as I kept explaining it away in my own mind. However, after this weeks appt I can't stop swallowing...

Does this make since to anyone? Is this related to the work I am having done, is this a permanent change or just an expected temporary situation until some of the back teeth are restored?

I appreciate any comments! Thanks.

Re: Near PANIC over something that is kinda crazy-- tongue and saliva issues

So my journey continues, with a slight delay in moving forward on the implants, they are delayed at least 2 or 3 weeks. Over the course of the last 2 months I have had 2 extractions (had 2 others previously) all were back teeth and have had 6 crowns removed, teeth restored and in temporary crowns. all in the lower arch. Because of my terrible bite, all the bite pressure hits in the back, I only had 2 good points of contact. Those are currently gone. Since I have had all this work done I have noticed a couple of strange things, 1. My tongue seems too big for my mouth. (I original blamed these on the temps as they are a bit wider than my other crowns were. Dentist did this on purpose.) 2. I normally have a pretty dry mouth, but now I seem to be drowning in saliva. (I blamed that on all the current holes in the lower arch.)

I haven't mentioned this to the dentist yet, as I kept explaining it away in my own mind. However, after this weeks appt I can't stop swallowing...

Does this make since to anyone? Is this related to the work I am having done, is this a permanent change or just an expected temporary situation until some of the back teeth are restored?

I appreciate any comments! Thanks.

Hi, yes I have had this with my temporary bridge. I had 3 extractions and 3 teeth prepped 2 weeks ago and since had have had a lot of saliva and also dry lips?! It's like my mouth wants to reject the new things in my mouth and I presume it's just a matter of time until it all settles down. It sounds like you've had a lot of work done yourself recently and so no wonder there are a few changes but I'm sure things will get better. Maybe speaking to your dentist will reassure you, he's probably heard this before.
Good luck with the implants :)

Back