• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Near the end of dentist journey but one last scary hurdle....IANB

O

OxfordGuy

Hey guys

I have Anxiety and Agoraphobia not to mention a bad dentist phobia which i have had 9 teeth out in the past 7 months or so now because in December

i developed a abcess on my bottom right first molar and had a dental phobia about having it extracted and due to acid reflux and other reasons my teeth

are in a bad way so i been taking small steps having easier teeth and harder ones out to build me towards having this molar extracted

My Anxiety got worse the other month when i develeoped a toothache in my top left second molar and third molar i had them extracted which left me in agony

because a root was left behind and it got infected after that infection cleared in my third molar the second molar was left with infection and a dry socket in the end

i had to have it sawn up which caused a massive panic attack due to having them push and hold my tongue to the side causing pain

This made me have a dental phobia set back

In the past 7 or 8 months i have have had a lot done and will list them

I have had 9 teeth out

I have had my mouth sawn up

6 of the 9 teeth was front and back upper teeth

3 of the 9 teeth was front bottom teeth

I have also had a student dentist dig and drill my abscess tooth then decide they can't do anything and left my tooth in a bad state

I have also had my abscess tooth cut and drained a few times

I have also had it cut open and drained in hospital with a pair of scissors

So yeah i have had a lot of work done and a lot of phobias and anxietys faced

Next up is having a Inferior alveolar nerve block which because of the recent anxiety and recent dental phobia set back i think is out of the question,

i spoke to my doctor and they also suggested against having a IANB because of my problem swallowing and phobias and anxieties and acid reflux it be a bad idea to have a numb tongue

My dentist reckons a PDL is a possibility but he believes it won't work but is willing to try it out,

If you know about abscesses then i will explain mine as mine isn't the usual one you will get, I do have Gingival Fistula's and the red part of the gum is swollen by 2-4 cm's

it is also painless abscess when i have had it drained i have had little to no pus coming out it is nice to get the tooth out soon but it isn't urgent due to it being what is called a Chronic Abscess

It is basically there swollen by few cm's for nearly a year and does nothing at all sometimes the upper part of the red gum not the pink gum will develop a bump with a white head on it

then it will decrease and go to the few cm's big again the hospital and dentist both said it is hard gum tissue swelling and not pus

the swelling is only to the outside of my gum the inside of my gum is fine and is healthy, I'm extremely scared and worried that the PDL won't work and will be painful and my dentist did say

if i feel pain he will stop which worries me too as i be left with a even more damaged tooth thats hurting? i'm wondering whats the odds on this PDL working as it isn't a acute infection so the abscess shouldnt attack the anthestia if i am correct?

he is worried about the infection and the fact my gum is swollen and says thats the reasons he has doubts it will work

he has been a absolute great dentist and a hero for helping me this far but apart from this abcess i need the molar next to it extracted and 2 easy upper teeth out and i can finally get dentures

so in a way this is also the end of my dentist journey im so worried about the PDL failing and leaving me with this abscessed tooth for ever as IANB is a no go

the worry and fear of this tooth not getting extracted in the next 2 weeks has actually left me thinking suicidal thoughts at times

thanks for reading if you made it this far

I know this reply is late, I just had that very same nerve block done to pull two infected lower molars. One on each side. My tounge, chin and lip are totally numb. But while swallowing feels weird and maybe slightly more difficult than normal, it really isn't bad at all. I have BAD anxiety and it is not scary. I would imagine it would be even easier for you since you only need a nerve block on one side.

It feels good when you're at the end of your treatment! I completed the treatment I started in April this morning. 2 lower back teeth and a wisdom tooth extracted, dry socket, 2 large fillings and finally today a scrape and polish. I think my dental phobia is finally reducing!

I know this reply is late, I just had that very same nerve block done to pull two infected lower molars. One on each side. My tounge, chin and lip are totally numb. But while swallowing feels weird and maybe slightly more difficult than normal, it really isn't bad at all. I have BAD anxiety and it is not scary. I would imagine it would be even easier for you since you only need a nerve block on one side.

I spent 4 years not leaving my house to anxiety i have been advised by my doctor and Councillor etc to avoid that injection and it don't help i have certain illnesses aswell so my only choice is PDL i guess which is creating anxiety as i don't know if it will work and if it don't im stuck with a swollen face and gum

Back