• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need 2 root canals-Advice/Answers wanted-PLEASE READ

K

Kings20

Ok I am going for one root canal on Tuesday. They first filled that tooth but then it chipped a bit and they said it needs a root canal so they put in a temp filling and I go back Tuesday for the actual root canal.

The other root canal I need was diagnosed over a year ago and I waited because of nervousness and fear. I finally decided I had to get it dealt with so I am making a appointment. Im so scared though that because I have waited they will have to pull the tooth. its still sensitive to cold but I dont really have pain, but im nervous that I have a huge infection that I don't now about. Also on this tooth a little piece chipped off about 10 months ago, the dentist said just don't eat on that side and get the root canal done, obviously i did wait. Now its like my gum has grown over the tooth where it chipped, is this really bad? How can they even enter the tooth if theres gum in the way?

Any advice or answers?

Also, I hadn't got work done for years but I finally got 5 fillings filled over a couple months. But the root canals have me terrified because of the pain stories I have heard and my dental anxiety/fears.

Last edited:
Hi:

Great job in getting this work done. Root canals are easy and not much different than a filling from the patient's point of view, they just take longer.

I would doubt you have any kind of serious infection. If they took X-Rays an infection would show and they would usually give antibiotics. As far as gum tissue in the way. If the tooth can be saved this is not much of an issue and can be taken care of.

You will find the whole procedure does not live up to the bad reputation they have. This comes from the early days when these procedures were new and the techniques not refined.

You will do great. It will feel wonderful to have this fixed and is a wonderful boost for courage and self-esteem.

Blessings :)

Yeah the reason I think I could have an infection is because I sometimes get this feeling that my mouth on the side with that tooth is like swollen and a little numb. Also the gum above that tooth is really red.

So I went to the dentist today to pick up a prescription for alium. I askd if I could have a dentist look at the tooth to see if there's an infection but they said there is an infection and thats why I need the root canal. No dentist looked at me though.

Im just worried because its really red on the part of the gum thats like growm over where the tooth chipped. Im worried I have an infection that is gonna spread all over:confused:

Dental infections (abscesses) tend to stay localized to the area of the tooth in question. Once the root canal is done the surrounding area will heal.

I do not think you have anything to worry about. They will take care of the issue at your appointment.

Blessings :)

So my first root canal is tmrw. I have another question though. I have allergies and my nose is usually stuffy, so will I still be able to breathe through my mouth with a rubberdam? Usually only one side of my nose is clogged but part of my dental fear is not having enough air so im nervous.

I got the root canal done, it wasn't too bad but it took so long. I have pain and the gum around the tooth where they put the temp crown is still bleeding a little and its been a couple hours since ive been home. Is that normal?

Back